Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats going on guys another player gone

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whats going on guys another player gone

Davy Byrne gone to Athlone another one bites the dust.

Spoke to one of your coaches today and he told me that all the coaching staff have been let go too.

I supose you won't need them anyway if you have no players to coach.

Sad, not that long ago Longford FC were the kings of Cup football and a real treat to all prem clubs.

Is this the end, sure hope not cause the league would miss Longford.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    where did you hear about davy byrne joinin kelch? i am surprised that the coaching staff have being let go..but not surprised that nobody knows about that, typical...

its a long season six players gone none in gettin better all the time.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    speakin of the devil aaron callaghan there were rumours that he was goin to Bohs to join Sean Connor, I assume he will be going as well..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Last man out switch off the lights. Is there even a chink of light coming from the Town these days? Depressing stuff altogether.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its tough times in the league I understand that, but you guys surley have the basis of a good team and staff and yet it seems that some people are quite prepared to let everyone go. And other clubs from what you read and hear are passing you out at alarming rate ie Galway, Rovers,St Pats.
    You can't blame people leaven if the club don't bother to talk and reasure them about its future.
    I am surprised that anyone is still there after the money problems they had last season.
    We (shels) were not the only ones not paying players last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    sorry kelch you did not answer my previous question.

Where did you hear that Davy Byrnes gone to Athlone? Its not posted on any of the websites at the moment.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry Martinho, I was talking to one of your coaches and he mentioned that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    thanks for clearin that up kelch up . bit surprised that Byrne would choose Athlone.

thats six gone now fantastic..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Matthews Out!!

It's an absolute disgrace what's going on at Longford Town at the moment. The club is gradually disintegrating and it won't be long until we return to the by-gone days of old. Players and staff leavinig left, right and centre. What the fcuk is going on?

Can anybody stand up and be counted for??
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I think people are panicing too quick here, we got rid of the deadwood so far, Kirby is the only player that has gone that will be a loss imo. The fact is players underachieved last year which is out of the managers hands as is the fact of players leaving, pre season hasn't started yet so I wouldn't read into anything yet. A shake up could do us the world of good, make a judgement 6 or 7 games into the season not 2 months before it starts ffs.
    If god wanted us to play football in the clouds he would have put grass up there!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts
    It's no secret that this year's budget is significantly lower than last year's hence no great surprise to see players leaving but even committee members don't seem to know what's happening as regards players or staff staying or going which is a bit worrying to be honest but knowing the individuals involved this kind of situation, where there seems to be a clear lack of communication, won't be tolerated for much longer hopefully.

I wouldn't expect much this year but the club has come a long way from the 'bygone days of old' and I would sincerely believe it won't be going back to them, there's a strong and increasing membership so I can't see how it would ever be allowed to happen. Let's see where we're at when the season starts, there's a fair bit of time between now and then and things can change.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness tho they really should be telling the fans whats going on?? If our finance is poor fair enouigh but when you see clubs like bray etc signin players left right and centre it is worrying. Surely they cant be any better financially then ourselves. I wouldnt worry so much with relegation next year tho. Surely with what is happening at shels theyl go dwn next yr. Its dillon hawkins rodgers and heary on the way out now.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts
    I agree with you there should be be more communication. I think maybe in relation to what you're saying about Bray they took a step back earlier. I have no doubt that we have the resources to be a decent club for a long period of time if things are done right. I'm not talking about winning leagues or that but being a good, solid club. There is potential. Again a lot can happen in a short space of time. Where we are now and where we'll be at season kick off time may be quite different. Our budget for next year as I said is lower but it will still seemingly be in the region of 500k which is a significant amount for a club our size. I've said it on here before I think but it's about what you can get for the money you have to spend and not just giving players what they want all the time. ALDI as opposed to BT I suppose!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi lads, as far as i know for the 2007/2008 season there are 3 teams going down i think and 1 coming up from the first division, so far the way things are going i can see shels,longford and bray taking the chop.
    I think ye have relied far too long on dublin or non longford based players coming in and playing for ye, correct me i am wrong but isnt dillon and prunty your only home grown players, have ye anything coming up for the underage team or local set-up.
    In all fairness we have a great underage and local set-up here now with the joint co-operation with the waterford junior leagues and local clubs also with the WIT and FAI were using scholarships and we now have the core of a great youth setup which will in time play for the Blues, have ye anything like that coming through at all if ye havent then its a thundering disgrace cos ye done well with the last few years ye should have capitalised on it.
    I personally dont rate Matthews at all, ye need somebody who can make ye play nice attractive passing football not long ball or hoofing it.
    Best of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Yeah i really hope the bubble doesnt burst. First started watching the town in the days of Mullologher with about 100 people for company. Really dont want to go back to those days. No communication it seems to the fans too. 3 down this year too. Not looking good. I agree that we shouldnt be so pessimistic so early. but really cant help it.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Lads only one down this year and one in the playoff like it was SUPPOSED to be last year so 2nd last will play 2nd in the 1st Div. Three down isnt until the 2008 season

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I'm not being funny lads, but have you had your eyes open the last few years? It's been pretty obvious that we've been living beyond our means, particularly with crowds falling so much. This type of realism was always on the cards - we may have some hope of surviving next season and getting things on a sustainable base, which can only be a good thing.

Getting our house in order is a positive, how we got into this situation is the negative that has to be addressed (and I'd be reasonably confident that people have learned).

The trust has potential to be a good initiative, although I'd be slightly concerned about a club bias in the trustees. But we need to be robbing ideas from clubs like Galway when it comes to drumming up local interest, such as their season ticket offers.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,083 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I'm not being funny lads, but have you had your eyes open the last few years? It's been pretty obvious that we've been living beyond our means, particularly with crowds falling so much. This type of realism was always on the cards - we may have some hope of surviving next season and getting things on a sustainable base, which can only be a good thing.

Getting our house in order is a positive, how we got into this situation is the negative that has to be addressed (and I'd be reasonably confident that people have learned).

The trust has potential to be a good initiative, although I'd be slightly concerned about a club bias in the trustees. But we need to be robbing ideas from clubs like Galway when it comes to drumming up local interest, such as their season ticket offers.
    Fully agree with you but just as regards the Trust the Trustees approached by the club made it clear that they wouldn't get involved if it wasn't going to be very much independent. The particular individuals from what I'd know of them certainly won't take any interference. Sure if somebody we both know who's been nominated gets elected it'll be one more voice of influence! Every member of the Trust becomes a member of the club too so they have a voice in both groups anyhow.

As regards season tickets it's been mentioned a few times before and definitely couldnt do any harm

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    i wont be at the next trustee's meeting as i'm away but will minutes etc be sent to all members of the trust, by the way as we are now members of Longford Town FC, what does that entail and does it mean that the club has to keep us informed of what is happening ????

i have nominated someone to be a trustee who we all know and i would trust that he would have the interests of the club and fans at heart.

Dinny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    How does one go about joining the trust?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast