Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wexford Youths FC - Trials

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    I'd say black and white is most likely, from what i can remember that's what the youths teams wear at the moment. Wouldn't be surprised to see something yellow with purple trim for the away kit. That's still assuming they actually get a licence, and the league actually gets to start sometime this year...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Niall

Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Agreed it's boring - but that wasn't the point.

A view was stated that a team called Wexford Youths would appeal to the whole county, which just doesn't make sense ! Wexford County would appeal to the whole county, but Wexford Youths...?!?
    Kildare County is almost exclusively support by Newbridge locals - the county thing just doesn't work outside the GAA environment. Doning a purple kit such as Fiorentina with yellow trim would be a good move however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    Kildare County is almost exclusively support by Newbridge locals - the county thing just doesn't work outside the GAA environment. Doning a purple kit such as Fiorentina with yellow trim would be a good move however.
    I think it might work better in Wexford as the players are going to be almost exclusively from within the county. As for the colours, I'm nearly sure the home kit is going to be black, with an orange and white away kit (something like AS Roma's)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall View Post
    On Kildare County - I would disagree. If anything, support from Newbridgers has being lacking.

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    True, I'm not from Newbridge and have seen a fair few faces from the during last season from the area I am from - Coill Dubh, Robertstown, Prosperous to mention a few.
    Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When is the decision finally due for this? I know they are more or less confirmed but when will there be an official announcement?

Apparently Wallace has the squad down to around 30 players now. Some of the local league teams will take a big hit, the likes of North End, Ajax, etc. And AFAIK, youth players on his squads will be allowed to go into the senior squad, but they will from then on not be allowed to play in the Wexford & district leagues. This years premier division will have some strange results and it will take a while for it to settle down again I'd say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    G-Man, the whole Danny Drew (that's the Limerick FC owner is you're not up to speed) league injunction thingy is holding up the process.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Apparently Wallace has the squad down to around 30 players now. Some of the local league teams will take a big hit, the likes of North End, Ajax, etc. And AFAIK, youth players on his squads will be allowed to go into the senior squad, but they will from then on not be allowed to play in the Wexford & district leagues.
    G-Man, how has the league done in the Oscar Traynor Cup in recent years?
    Will there be any players with eircom league experience in the squad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They've only done alright in the Oscar Traynor, some years better than others. But I know there wasnt a load of commitment to that team, it wasnt high on the priorities of a lot of lads. Players were turning it down because it just added to an already busy playing schedule, and a large number of players in Wexford would play GAA so added to that many werent prepared to put in the time needed. I havent seen the squad of players Wallace has assembled, but I couldnt see there being many with EL experience if any.

However, I wouldnt factor either if these 2 things into this team. The more important factor I think is the youths team, as this is the one that is taken very seriously in Wexford and has reaped a huge success. IMO, more people in Wexford would have a lot more of an interest in the Youths team than the Oscar Traynor team. They have had 4 All Ireland finals in 10 years, winning 2 and have made the 1/4 finals every year AFAIK. They were knocked out on at least 2 occassions on penalties. The reason I would take this more as an indicitave of the team as it contained the best players for the last 10 years, Wallace was over those teams and it was taken seriously, a huge effort was put into training these players and giving them as much exposure to semi professional playing as possible. Every year Wallace takes his underage teams to Turin for a tournament, and the squad stays with Torino out there and experience what it is like to be at a professional club.

At the moment Wallace is setting up the grounds and complying to all the safety standards set out, costing him a fair whack too, but sure he wont be complaining when he sees his team take to the field on the first day of the season!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Thanks G-Man. I wish Wallace the best of luck (except when they come to play us of course!), this sounds like a very good development for the league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    I'd say there could be quite a few players with at least a small amount of Eircom experience. I don't know how the trials have gone but numerous players from recent youths teams have played at Waterford and Bray Wanderers. Players like Thomás Hawkins, Conor Sinnott, and a fair few others. Generally they've failed to settle at these clubs usually due to working and living in Wexford and commuting to training etc. Playing for a home based squad should allow them to realise their potential more easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I'd say there could be quite a few players with at least a small amount of Eircom experience. I don't know how the trials have gone but numerous players from recent youths teams have played at Waterford and Bray Wanderers. Players like Thomás Hawkins, Conor Sinnott, and a fair few others. Generally they've failed to settle at these clubs usually due to working and living in Wexford and commuting to training etc. Playing for a home based squad should allow them to realise their potential more easily.
    Yeah, there was a few with Waterford down thru the years, most of them left to play for the Gaelic team (Eric Bradley, John Hudson, Gavin Morris, PJ Banville). There will probably be a couple alright with a bit of EL experience alright, but nothing too regular. Was Ducker Hawkins with St Pats for a spell? And you're right, a home based team would suit them better, and it will give the county a team now at least. I know around my area most people would follow Waterford but wouldnt be that passionate about it if you know what I mean. I've been to a few Waterford games down the years, but I never felt they were my team. Main interest would have been for lads I knew playing for them and they were the nearest team to us. At least now we have our own team in the league (pending official confirmation) and should attract a good support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    Article from this weeks Wexford People

Here's some of the key points:

I went to see the Wexford Senior footballers play Meath in last year's championship at Croke Park, and ten of the players on view played with the Wexford Youths.
    The squad is as follows Paul Malone, Richie Fitzgerald, Sean Carmody, Fran Hore, John O'Leary, David Miller, Conor Sinnott, Philip Drohan, Justin Power, Ben Brosnan, Stuart Dunning, Shane Dunphy, Eamon Doyle, Tomas 'Ducker' Hawkins, Michael Grangel, John Hudson, Anthony Russell, Diarmuid Fitzpatrick, Anthony Rossiter, Marty Kelly, Liam O'Loughlin, Gary Murphy, John Roche, Stuart Lawlor, Stephen Bradley, Tom Eames, Jason Murphy, Johnny Flynn, Aaron Harpur, Lloyd Colfer, Timmy Bolger.
    A very young squad, with at least 3 or 4 players with a small amount of Eircom League experience. Interesting I thought anyway how many players have been lost to GAA, amazed than ten former Youths players on County Senior football team.
    Wallace is resigned to loosing tham completely. Can't blame him, the last thing the team would need is to alienate GAA folk in the county. By not chasing these players it sends a message that Wexford Youths FC is not out to destroy Wexford GAA.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 26/01/2007 at 1:17 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    What's the average age of that squad, and which of them have played eL before? Sinnott, Dunphy (ex Kilkenny I think), Colfer....
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    The vast majority have played for the youths in the last 5 years so I'd estimate the average age to be about 22-23.

Was reading a bit more of the Wexford People and just notice John Hudson in the squad, he captained senior footballers in 2005 and would have been a key player, so maybe I was wrong about not upsetting the GAA.

Apart from Sheridans list (Sinnott - Bray & Lims, Colfer - Bray, Dunphy -Kilkenny & Waterford), Hawkins was with Waterford for a spell last year, and possible he played for others before, he was a trainee at Newcastle but homesickness meant he didn't stay long. I played against him so he's about 23 now.
    John Hudson also had a spell with Waterford.

*having googled most of the ones I thought had experience I think this is more or less correct, not sure if John Hudson played for Waterford, possibly his brother Willy, Colfer seems to have also been with Waterford and possibly UCD and St Pats (there may be two players with the same name), I thought he was only about 21 at most so 4clubs in that time seems unlikely*
    Last edited by passinginterest; 26/01/2007 at 1:51 PM. Reason: extra info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here's a list of the players in the provisional squad who have played on Mick's U-18 side in the last few years:

2006: David Millar, Aaron Harpur, Seán Carmody and Ben Brosnan

2005: Paul Malone, Richie Fitzgerald, Conor Sinnot, Gary Murphy and Jason Murphy

2004: Liam O' Loughlin and Shane Dunphy, possibly a few more.

From what I know of the other players Fran Hore, Stewart Lawlor, Ducker Hawkins and Lloyd Colfer are all around the 22-23 age mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Article from this weeks Wexford People

Here's some of the key points:

, amazed than ten former Youths players on County Senior football team.

That figure is well off the mark. Team that played Meath and subs was as follws: WEXFORD: J Cooper; C Morris, P Wallace, N Murphy; P Curtis (0-01), D Murphy, G Molloy; D Kinsella (0-01), R Stafford; C Deeley (capt) (0-03), P Colfer (1-00), R Barry; L Murphy (0-01), PJ Banville, M Forde (0-12 (2f)).

Subs used: J Hudson (0-01) for Molloy (43 mins), D Fogarty for Deeley (62), T Howlin for Kinsella (66), E Bradley for Colfer (70),

Of those, Molloy (maybe, but dont think so), Colfer, Banville, Hudson, Howlin, Bradley played for the youths. Its still a big number, but not as big as being made out. And despite Hudson being captain the year before, it was only because his club won the championship. He is a good footballer, but wouldnt be a massive loss to the GAA team. He also said a while back he wouldnt be going back so it wont really cause too much upset with the GAA folk. He did have a stint with Waterford utd a few years ago after he finished with Wallaces youth team. Lloyd Colfer would be around 22/23 I thought. I'd say the average age is up a bit tho, there are still a good few in that panel in their later 20's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Colfer seems to have also been with... UCD
    He was. Evidence in the form of some quality* songs.

*may not be true!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope they announce a "proper" squad list very soon.. will make things alot easier!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Best of luck to Wexford Youths.
    What are the chances of them winning the first division?
    Will at least add a little interest to the setup.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast