Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Full Time Vs Part Time: The Debate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Full Time Vs Part Time: The Debate

Look this has been going on for quite some time in other threads.
    Lets have a place where we can debate it fully and not sidetrack from other issues.

I am fully in favour of going full time.
    A lot of the squad already are and the extra training will do them do them wonders. ie Foyzer especially.

I know that we will lose some quality players because of the decision... and i would like to see o'grady stay but if was offered a full time contract and rejected it.. that's his decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Full Time, without a doubt.Both on and off the field, it will enhance us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Concept of full time obviously is the correct one, if the club wants to go places, especially now that substancial prize money is on offer, and that Bohs are about to do a Chelsea in terms of spending. However, wages need to be paid for, and to ask a player to give up his job, and 5 bad results later crowds dwindle, interest falls away, who pays the mortgage? And a one/two year contract flys by fairly fast! And then what?

The fact is that a mix of part timers, who will usually be locals, with a full time first 12 or so, is the way to go IMO. At least for a year. That would keep local interest and give us an chance of sucsess. If this policy fails, then by all means change it, but Local Fans, paying Local Cash to our Local Club is what the Rovers is all about. Especially as we have Local Players of Quality. Its what the kids who play want to see.

Inthis case we can have our cake AND eat it
    Football is a Simple Game, complicated by fools - Brian Clough

All Sligo Leitrim Youth & Schoolboys Info is live on http://homepage.eircom.net/~mervilleafc/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with going full time but we have to keep some of the Part timers to keep a balance there!!!
    Look at what is happenen all the full time teams now in Ireland!! They are all having financial problems! Cork, Shams, Shels!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think Shams were completely full time, were they?Shels would probably be in debt if they were playing players with butter vouchers, such is Oily's ability.Cork have a lovely ground out of it, and a league title - and aren't too bad off for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    but if we are goin full time..
    we do need more money to compete with the top 4.

lads, the club have to get more people in the stands.
    end of.

personally, i'd advise you all to join the trust as well so we can organize a group. not just a bunch of individuals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MervilleUnited View Post
    The Concept of full time obviously is the correct one, if the club wants to go places, especially now that substancial prize money is on offer, and that Bohs are about to do a Chelsea in terms of spending. However, wages need to be paid for, and to ask a player to give up his job, and 5 bad results later crowds dwindle, interest falls away, who pays the mortgage? And a one/two year contract flys by fairly fast! And then what?

The fact is that a mix of part timers, who will usually be locals, with a full time first 12 or so, is the way to go IMO. At least for a year. That would keep local interest and give us an chance of sucsess. If this policy fails, then by all means change it, but Local Fans, paying Local Cash to our Local Club is what the Rovers is all about. Especially as we have Local Players of Quality. Its what the kids who play want to see.

Inthis case we can have our cake AND eat it

Wow. I totally agree ! And what's the point of full time on the pitch and part time off it ? To sustain a full time set up, we need to really get the commercial side going. If you have a full time staff of say 12 in any business, you would expect it to be administered professionally.

I think its important the committe remains in place but there needs to be a more active day to day running of the club in terms of finance/development etc..

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soper View Post
    I don't think Shams were completely full time, were they?
    In Tommy Gormans article in the champion he said thats why they went in to debt!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    The main problem, as GUFC found out this season, is that many EL players prefer to remain part-time as their earning capacity is a lot higher.

In order to compete with the likes of Drogheda/Cork/Derry however, you need to train on a full-time basis. The way forward is co-operation with local business.

For example, a footballer could easily train in the morning and work in the retail industry (eg clothes shop) in the evenings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    A high precentage of the footballers, if not all, in Derry both train full time and work full/part time also.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    A high precentage of the footballers, if not all, in Derry both train full time and work full/part time also.
    According to the Derry Journal a few weeks ago there's only four Derry players (McHugh, Beckett, Hutton and Martyn) who also work, and I'd say Fenlon will be moving towards all full-timers.

http://www.derrytoday.com/ViewArticl...icleID=1932833
    Last edited by Mr A; 03/01/2007 at 5:05 PM. Reason: Remembered the fourth player!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgit View Post
    In Tommy Gormans article in the champion he said thats why they went in to debt!!
    If its Rovers you're referring yes the team were full time in 2005 under the previous incompetent regime.

Part time since. We only spend what we have.

This league cant support full time football because clubs are a mess off the field. No projections, no budgets, still paying players in cash so they are constantly putting out fires. Example being the convicted criminal in tolka.

Sligo of all clubs should realise this after the fiasco of full time football there a decade ago.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    If its Rovers you're referring yes the team were full time in 2005 under the previous incompetent regime.

Part time since. We only spend what we have.

This league cant support full time football because clubs are a mess off the field. No projections, no budgets, still paying players in cash so they are constantly putting out fires. Example being the convicted criminal in tolka.

Sligo of all clubs should realise this after the fiasco of full time football there a decade ago.

KOH
    There always has been a full time set up in the Showground to an extent. Locals with a mixture from over seas. Relegation proved Rovers downfall in 2000 plus games been moved to Sunday afternoon due to the building of the new stand. The club was part time apart from about three or four pros on the books. The crowds slumped under Cassidys reign plus the failure to get automatic promotion the following season which resulted in the club building up big debts, nothing to do with the full time issue.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think we should really wait and see what Mcdonald does, personally i think it's nessessary if we want to finish in the top four, although i do think he should of made an exception in O'Grady's case and possibly Mctiernen also, but only time time will tell whether this will work, we have seen what has done to the Shams under Roddy and more recently Shels, my major concern and this was somewhat evident last season is what these guys do when there not training Foy is the best example of this, remembering back to the days of Sanchez i think with the exception of Lynch, Johnny Kenny, Dykes ,the rest were pro's, this debate really comes down to the overall ambitions of the club and whether the capital required is available, overall gate receipts need to improve if this to work, you can't pay 16-20 lads on attendances of 1500,-1800,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal rover View Post
    you can't pay 16-20 lads on attendances of 1500,-1800,
    exactly.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    Fiasco this word should only be kept for the Rovers forum only . 10 years ago it was not the full time set up that hurt us rather poor management of the club and over spending.
    So flying over guys from england every week didnt put you in debt? That is over spending.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I asume that full time players are paid twelve months of the year. Where will the Clubs get the dosh? Shels are fecked and Cork are lucky to be above water.

With Sligo and Galway united going full time, it will take a lot of effort to keep the money rolling in during the off-season.

Are Irish clubs successful in Europe because they are full time or because of Summer soccer? I believe it is because they are full time.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    After the meeting, im not so sure... we do need locals in the side. More locals then at the present time.... I'd Love to see the club bring on O'Grady at least...even if he was part time, hes well worth it.

Lets wait and see who these eight players are first though