Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: "Noel King has Good Idea" Shocker!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Noel King has Good Idea" Shocker!

King had a lot to say on TV3 last night, and for once he talked some sense.
    He said that the FAI should have B internationals against "lesser" nations, and only pick eL players. Put an eL based team into the Olympics, and have under-18 squad picked from the eL as well. This seems a very good idea, and well worth pursuing by the FAI.
    Will this ever happen though?
    He also sid that Mick McCarthy had "made himself available" to eL teams for training sessions, and only $hels had taken him upon it.
    Does anybody think having McCarth in charge of a session is a good thing?

btw, he also stood by his comment that City were in a "false position", and of course does not seem to know the names of any players from outside Dublin!..........

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ya he seemed to make some good points alright and make some **** up about sone of our players, although I cant remember who it was but Trev gave him a filthy look.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    First of all the qualification for the Olympics is undertaken by the u-21 squads in europe. There is not enough eL u-21 quality for a full squad plus you would lose the use of that squad for blooding english based irish u-21 players for the senior squad.

King was correct about the eL squad playing sub standard opposition in that tiurnament last year. With the advent of a full summer season in future maybe some good opposition could be found for an eL squad in November each year.

Anyone catch Noel Kings comment about he being surprised some eL player (can't remember who) not gone cross channel by now? Came across as he saying the guy slumming it here.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pete

Anyone catch Noel Kings comment about he being surprised some eL player (can't remember who) not gone cross channel by now? Came across as he saying the guy slumming it here.
    I think he was talking about the Bray forward Edward Zaeed (correct spelling ??).
    He said he saw a lot of him at underage, scoring a hatrick in an under-18 cup final, and was destined to go cross-channel. Hee is surprised he is still here.

Still, even if the Olympics is under-21 only, the eL should enter, as I feel it would still be worthwhile.
    I completely agree with him on the B international suggestion, and play the home matches at different eL venues. Big crowds, an international cap for all who play, and a worthwhile experience for players I would think.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In general terms I would not dismiss the suggestions out of hand. However I do feel that the difficulties faced by the eL are far too fundamental than to be solved by carting 16 or 18 of its players to Moldova or Albania 4 or five times a season.

The reason that a League of Ireland player hasn't been selected for the full national team since the mid-80's is not because there is a conspiracy against home based players. It is simply because international quality players automatically gravitate towards cross channel clubs. The prospect of international representation may help to keep some players here but only after the eL is established as a fully professional league with decent television coverage and significant attendances. Therefore investment is required from the highest level to make the league attractive to quality players. Given the FAI's current financial position, it is likely that this will take a decade or more.

I hope Mr. Crowe enjoys his outing tomorrow evening because we may well be speaking of him in 2012 as the last eL player to win a full international cap.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by The Money Man
    Therefore investment is required from the highest level to make the league attractive to quality players. Given the FAI's current financial position, it is likely that this will take a decade or more.
    No, no, no and no again. What this league needs is for the FAI to get the finger out and staff the league office properly instead of paying for junkets around the globe. Then they can market the league, crowds and performances will improive side-by-side and within 5 years we could have a team in the champions league- NO PROBLEM. As for good players gravitating towards England, the FAI could very easily institute a polciy of picking only irish based players up to u21 level which would encourage players to stay at home.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

I disagree totally with Noel Kings suggestion the international team manager should be forced to oick 2 eL players in his squad.

That would do nothing for the eL, would mean the players just train with the foreign pros & would be too easy for the FAI.

The FAI needs a plan for the eL with a blueprint for how they going to aid it. We should be focusing on how make eL players good enough that they be picked on merit for the international team.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna

within 5 years we could have a team in the champions league- NO PROBLEM.
    With thank kind of fanciful thinking you would nearly qualify to be appointed to the board of the FAI. Its this kind of quick-fix, short term outlook that has the league in the mess its in. A complete change in thinking is required, new structures need to be put in place. Implementation and fruition of new structures will take significantly longer than 5 years. Lets accept that fact and begin to move forward.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There is no reason why it´s not achieveable- if the proper structures are put in place. No way it should take even the FAI 5 years to get their house in order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I agree with Eanna.

The biggest problem is money.
    There are two realistic ways of making money initally.
    1. Gate Recipts and 2. Sponsorship
    The way to increse gate reciepts...... well I could go on all day about proper facitities, proper pitches, young players, teams providing good entertainment value etc.
    The main way to attrat interest in the league is to try to keep our young players at home for as long as possible and have an exciting league of talented players.
    THe way to increase sponsorship..... all of the above a give people a product they WANT to get involved in.
    TV monies etc will follow.
    It has been done in norway... so why not here.

Champions league in 5 years... not sure we would have to get lucky. FC Haka of Finland reached the Champions league a few lears back so thats not impossible either.

As for Noel King well I can't inderstand him most of the time (yeh, yeh, yeh,yeh,yeh ) But he made some very possitive points about B games etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For a man who more often than not talks through his hat, he made some excellent points last night - particularly the Olympics suggestion.
    Effenberg played like my grandmother!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I disagree totally with Noel Kings suggestion the international team manager should be forced to oick 2 eL players in his squad.
    Agreed. Not until you merit the call-up.
    We should be focusing on how make eL players good enough that they be picked on merit for the international team.
    pete, what would be wrong with players getting to play against teams in B internationals?
    It would give them experience against different styles of football, play at a level which is theoretically higher, and give them something to aim for when playing in the league.
    If there were 4 of these games a year, I would think players here would want to get into the squad. Would this not make them more focused and a good reason to improve temselves?
    Don't even call it a B international, call it inter league or whatever, but an element of international competition would be a very positive thing for all players.