Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saddam executed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    It's necessary that it was filmed as Saddam had many impersonators(sp?) and I'm sure people will want to see it was definitely him who was killed and not a lookalike.
    we've all heard the stories of his lookalikes but how can we know for sure that it was really him and not one if his lookalikes

there is footage of the moon landing but some people will still tell you that it was filmed on a hollywood sound stage.

in reality what is proof for one person is never enough for another. BTW i personally don't think that it was shown on TV for proof but moreso as a piece of triumphism (sp?) by the US and their new State of Iraq!
    Last edited by galwayhoop; 30/12/2006 at 5:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    a bit like Bush on the ship about 4 years ago telling the world that the war was won!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    how can we know for sure that it was really him and not one if his lookalikes
    I've just seen footage of Saddam walking to the gallows and the noose been put around his neck. I now have enough evidence to know it was him, that is all I need!
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    in fairness it would have to be a fairly bad lookalike if he didn't actually look like him ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I've just seen the whole video, freaky ****.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    me too sligoman very disturbing no matter what you think of the individual

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman
    I'm sure people will want to see it was definitely him who was killed and not a lookalike.
    As everyone outside Iraq is 100% certain it was the real deal, couldn't this have been restricted for Iraqis only? If the rest of the world wants to see them, then they can watch it on youtube or something. The footage that broadcasters all over the world were salivating for yesterday, is not suitable for general viewing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I'll shed no tears for Sadam but justice this is not. One bunch of killers offing another bunch of killers is no better than whats going on in Dublin of late with the gangs. This is just on a bigger scale. When Bush joins him, then it'll be justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fisk
    Robert Fisk: He takes his secrets to the grave. Our complicity dies with him
    How the West armed Saddam, fed him intelligence on his 'enemies', equipped him for atrocities - and then made sure he wouldn't squeal
    Published: 31 December 2006

We've shut him up. The moment Saddam's hooded executioner pulled the lever of the trapdoor in Baghdad yesterday morning, Washington's secrets were safe. The shameless, outrageous, covert military support which the United States - and Britain - gave to Saddam for more than a decade remains the one terrible story which our presidents and prime ministers do not want the world to remember. And now Saddam, who knew the full extent of that Western support - given to him while he was perpetrating some of the worst atrocities since the Second World War - is dead.
    Read the rest
    Last edited by BohsPartisan; 31/12/2006 at 5:28 PM.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Everyone seems to think that Iraq is better off without Saddam but I don't think can draw that conclusion so easily.

How many people have been killed in invasion & the current civil war? 50,000? 100,000? Surely that war isn't even at the half way stage?

Was Saddam really that bad? Sure he killed some Kurds but in the scheme of things nothing to compare with the civil war? I can't trust any court that tries someone for "crimes against humanity". What is that anyway? I believe the killings he was convicted of were in revenge for alleged assassination attempt...

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,270 Posts
    I think Iraq is definitely better off without him (behind bars or in the ground); just they now have the Yanks in there, who are a good replacement.

And yes, he was that bad. Comparing him to the current scenario doesn't take away from his crimes. The video footage where he ordered people out of the room to be shot on trumped up conspiracy charges would almost convict him of itself. Of course, for consistency's sake, some Yanks should hang as well - Bush for the current situation, Bush eile (or whoever it was) for supporting Hussein when he was playing ball, etc.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Don't believe in the death sentence anyway, however, he should've been charged with all his atrocities not just one. Probably wasn't because in most of them the US/UK would most likely be revealed as co conspirators in many of them. Hence the quick carrying out of the hanging.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Article from Indymedia on the subject of the trial and execution:

Justin Morahan notes the following points in his article on the trial of Saddam Hussein:

• Four defence lawyers were assassinated during the trial (two by alleged US/Iraqi collaboration)
    • Four of the 5 original judges have either resigned or been killed
    • The US spent hundreds of millions of dollars in support of the prosecution
    • No confidential visits were allowed by defence lawyers to their clients and none at all until after the start of the first trial
    • The Defence team was allowed only minutes to begin presenting its defence after the charges were made known on May 15th 2006
    • Defence had to end its case within weeks but the Prosecution were allowed months
    • Evidence was withheld from defence counsel.
    • Defence lawyers were denied access to investigative hearings, denied prior notice of witnesses and denied permission to visit the scene of the alleged crime.
    • Trial sessions were announced oftentimes without advance notice or consultation with the result that even the most experienced lawyers missed the hearings.
    • Four of the five judges who started in the case were removed by publicly acknowledged US interference
    • During the trial, George Bush declared that Saddam Hussein "will be" executed
    • Transcripts of the proceedings were refused to defence lawyers.

and more....
    The rest

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I wouldn't feel sorry ofr Saddam as its the way former tyrants usually leave the stage... However to claim its part of a democratic process is laughable.

Anyone dictator that relies on the US for support should not realise that they will be abandoned eventually, just a matter of time...

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Can't believe that the US/Iraqi government would be so downright stupid to video Saddam's hanging and constantly replay it to an already irate country. It whips Saddams followers and detractors into a frenzy every time it is played and is bound to cause the loss of plenty more lives

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,270 Posts
    Presumably now the US will extend the duration of the occupation because Iraq needs them and in the meantime, the Yanks can continue siphoning all the oil and natural resources. It's like in 1984 the way the ruling authorities had to create a continual war in order to keep full control over the people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Can't believe that the US/Iraqi government would be so downright stupid to video Saddam's hanging and constantly replay it to an already irate country.
    Next they'll be advertising "HANGING SADDAM FOR YOUR MOBILE" on TV3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Next they'll be advertising "HANGING SADDAM FOR YOUR MOBILE" on TV3
    Why do I feel that smile will be wiped off our faces in the coming weeks

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    What are the US forces doing in Iraq now anyway? It seems they only protecting a limited section of the country (more accurately Baghdad) so woud they be better off leaving now as would reduce the military targets...

Ireland depends on cheapish oil so to look at selfishly whats good for them is good for us.

Bring back Rocketman!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12