Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer talk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Transfer talk

Looks like Jim Crawford wont be coming to Terryland after all. The Indo is reporting that he is set to take over as Shelbourne boss http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stor...=12&si=1743892
    After Raf going back to Shligo, Barry Ryan staying with Pats and Harps playing hard ball with Gethins it would be nice to hear some good news on the transfer front.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So far we've lost our 3 best players of last year.
    Gough
    Gethins
    Cretaro.

We're then lead to believe Lester will be joining us....it's going to be a long xmas.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought that some new signings were to be announced last week? This had been mentioned even prior to the confirmation that we were promoted to the Premier League.

So far it has been all players released, players not signing new contracts (owing to work commitments), retirements (Alan Gough) and speculation of imminent departures (Gethins and Raf).

As last contributor pointed out, we could be doing with some positive news, while appreciating there is still plenty of time aead of the new season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Two reasons no signings yet:

1. No tranfer forms available yet
    2. Tony is finding it hard with 1 or 2 players: getting them to relocate to Galway is a major problem

Hpefully we will have our 1st signing this week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    We have 11 players signed plus John Lester .John Russel is stalling same as last year so we need at least 6/8 new players but we are still in a better position than Longford or Sligo.

The only reason there were no signings announced was that the new standard contract has not been printed by the FAI if they had been Lester would have been announced on Thursday. Barry Ryan wasnt able to agree terms and Rafs has just built a new house in tubbercurry which was a mjor factor in his move back.

We were linked with Stephen O'Flynn, Steve williams and Dean Delaney over the last few days so Tony is very busy and were back at full training on the 21st January so there is plenty of time to get the quality players Tony is looking for!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Transfer Talk...... or lack of it!!!!! Typical FAI that contract was finalised awhile back by Fran Gavin...now he's in his new post and they still dont have it printed!!! Email it to us we'll do it ourselves! Only signing is an apparently unfit first division player? yoiks we'll want to improve this big time.. We also need at least one big name to attract the crowds
    "Are those my feet" Fr Jack Hackett

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

who said they want to hear positive news.

in just over the last week we got promoted to the p.l and was announced we are going full time,are they not positive enough bits of news for you???????????some people have short memories.im still buzzing from lasts weeks news and dont mind if it takes awhile to get some new players in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    We have to get the players in now! No point and sitting back feeling great after everything that has happened over the past week, and when we do go searching everyone we wanted has joined someone else? We need to be signing/pre-contract the players ASAP or our only signing will be players that no on else wants. We have to be professional about everything now if we want to survive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    There is no one sitting back Terry at GUFC upto 200 season tickets sold and Tony scouring the country for players plus new sales manager in place.

We have to reach our target of 1,000 season tickets sales befor 31st january and its up to everyone you included to make sure we do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    i believe theres more then 200 sold at this stage i saw a figure somewhere on here a few days back which was a very precise number like 256 or something along those lines. i popped into the ground yesterday for mine and the secratery said she has been told by this person and that person that ''ive sold this many etc...'' but she was'nt gonna count them till she had them in her hand. we appear to be sticking to our side of the ''bargain'' (1000 season tickets) lets hope tony sticks to his(quality players) which i have no doubt he will. My only concern to date isnt lack of signings its the lack of RE-SIGNING to date!.
    Last edited by gilberto_eire; 19/12/2006 at 6:02 PM.
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    we are still in a better position than Longford or Sligo.
    Do ya mind me asking...how do you figure that one out? O'Grady, Burns and McTiernan are our only major losses but now we've gained Raf so that helps a bit.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I think he ment geographically sligoman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    There is no one sitting back Terry at GUFC upto 200 season tickets sold and Tony scouring the country for players plus new sales manager in place.
    I wasnt saying there was, I was saying that it is something that must not happen, as eamo1's post was giving the impression of there was no rush and we can all relax for the winter break!

We have to reach our target of 1,000 season tickets sales befor 31st january and its up to everyone you included to make sure we do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know its not much but Ive got 3 people to buy season tickets for next season, none of them ever having bought one before!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Well done Terry if all our hard core supporters sold between 5/10 tickets each we would exceed the figure of 1,000 we have set ourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So far I've sold 3, but only one of those is a NEW sale, i.e. the other 2 are renewals. I've got 3 more promised for the weekend, but like the girl in the office, I'm not counting them 'till I have cash in hand.

IMO it's from now to the weekend and the fortnight before the season starts that will be the critical period. Very few will sell between times.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Gethins

i was in GPO last night, pretty sure gethins was in there, would'nt be 100% sure cause i was pretty hammered but if it was'nt him man he looked the spit. anyway point been if it was him it can only be a good sign!.
    on another point bout conor i dont think it would be the end of the world if he didnt sign as he poses little aerial threat and i feel he didnt shine against the big teams and was wasteful at times. id love to see him join dont get me wrong but in my opinion would'nt be the end of the world if an alternative was found..... anyone agree?
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    conor gethins was unbelievable last year, he scored 9 goals and he would have scored at least 5 more goals had it not been for the incompetence of the eircom league officials. he mightn't be the biggest fella in the world but thats not his game, nobody criticised zola saying he posed no aerial threat.

i think conor has great pace, makes some incredible runs, works like a trojan and scores some incredible goals. the 2 lobs against athlone and kilkenny come to mind. most centre halfs dont know whether to follow him or pass him onto the next defender. thats exactly what you need as a striker, indecision amongst opposition defenders.

i think he must be a top target but i can't see us paying the money harps want
    Last edited by GUISAUltra; 20/12/2006 at 2:51 PM.
    Homer: I'm gonna make sure these deliveries are made on time.
    Bart: Let me come with you
    Homer: Dont you have school!
    Bart: Dont you have work!
    Homer: Ah Touche!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    i think he must be a top target but i can't see us paying the money harps want
    Ah go on. Ya will, ya will, ya will.

Sure ye've oodles of money to spend
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    we have a budget €670,000 and will not be breaking that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

terry i meant

that people here are quick to focus on things not being done as opposed to things already accomplished,like events of last week etc.of course i realise we need to start buying players,our squad is thin and we need quality and quantity.
    i also think we should sacrifice getting a defender so we can buy conor,i realise hes only one player but when we were in the p.l under don o.riordan a few years ago we had no really good striker.i think it was billy who ended up being our top scorer 2 seasons ina row while still being a centre back,we dominated games but couldnt score coz had no striker.and when we did have good strikers we were near the top-when eric was in form(10 goals before january) and stephen grant was with us.
    ive got 2 people to buy season tickets and will get 2 more in the next few weeks,3 of those will be new season ticket holders.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast