Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quinn Brothers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts

The Quinn Brothers

Stephen makes his second consecutive start for the Blades tonight against Villa, with Alan on the bench.
    If Alan does come on, does that make them the first Irish brothers in a long time - possible since Pearce and David O'Leary - to play together in the top flight in England?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Just scored a good goal, & was so unlucky 5 mins ago with another volley. Playing well throughout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The third Quinn brother, Keith, is set to captain the Blades' youth side in Wednesday night's FA Youth Cup clash at Bramall Lane with Watford
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Another player who started his senoir career with Pats...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Speaking after tonight's game, Warnock said of Stephen Quinn: "He's a cocky little lad, too much at times - he looks like a choirboy but he's growing up and that goal will do him the world of good. He was a bit surprised i kept him in for a second game."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Watched the game earlier and was really impressed with Steven. He's got a determination about him that makes me think he'll do well. He has a great boot as evidenced by that volley, and was unlucky not to get 2 goals really. Great positioning to get that goal, and I can definitely see where Warnock is coming from when he says he's cocky. You could see his attitude in the celebration.

It's a good kind of confidence and determination though. Hopefully he continues to play games now and maybe he can push for Duff's place on the left. I think part of Duff's drop in form with Ireland comes down to lack of competition for places. Obviously Duff has got the reputation, but if McGeady and the Quinns among others start proving that they have something to offer it will really be to the team's benefit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Watched the game earlier and was really impressed with Steven. He's got a determination about him that makes me think he'll do well. He has a great boot as evidenced by that volley, and was unlucky not to get 2 goals really. Great positioning to get that goal, and I can definitely see where Warnock is coming from when he says he's cocky. You could see his attitude in the celebration.

It's a good kind of confidence and determination though. Hopefully he continues to play games now and maybe he can push for Duff's place on the left. I think part of Duff's drop in form with Ireland comes down to lack of competition for places. Obviously Duff has got the reputation, but if McGeady and the Quinns among others start proving that they have something to offer it will really be to the team's benefit.

Lads before we lose the run of ourselves here lets just remember that it was only his second senior game. I thought he did ok but looks far too lightweight at the moment and reminds me a lot of Willo Flood who was getting the same sort of praise and is now languishing on the Cardiff bench...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    very impressive - caught the eye of the commentators and some good comments from the studio panel as well- looks a bit like a young Paul Scholes
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Anyone here the Sky commentators say how they'll be celebrating at St Patricks Athletic, made it sound like they were a local pub team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    If Alan does come on, does that make them the first Irish brothers in a long time - possible since Pearce and David O'Leary - to play together in the top flight in England?
    Alan didnt come on but I'm fairly sure Pearse and Dave didnt play together in the Division One.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Anyone here the Sky commentators say how they'll be celebrating at St Patricks Athletic, made it sound like they were a local pub team.
    Did they say that? Surprised they knew about it at all tbh. Wouldn't take it badly myself...
    ---

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Geary did ok as well. Useful player - I remember him from his Owls days (like Alan Quinn). Not sure either will make the international grade but with so little cover for us at left full, he shouldn't be forgotton.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thought Pierce O'Leary never played in England. Only with Rovers, Vancover Whitecaps and Celtic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    My mistake, I thought he had played with David at club level at some point
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Geary did ok as well. Useful player - I remember him from his Owls days (like Alan Quinn). Not sure either will make the international grade but with so little cover for us at left full, he shouldn't be forgotton.
    I agree he should be looked at, but his natural position is right back, so that would put him at least behind Finnan, and Carr is probably ahead of him more on reputation than ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Neil Warnock had another go at Stan after the Villa match. He reckons Geary is the best Irish full back going and thinks is absolutely ridiculous the Irish boss keeps ignoring him. Also can't understand that he was last capped at under 18 level. In fairness, I respect Warnock's opinion more than Stan's, infinite more character anyway... I do reckon Geary should come into the picture for left back, just to give us some sort of options. Not that that means he's superior to Finnan, Carr et al

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I said at the time Geary's ommision from the B squad was shocking
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    i dont think think theres anything shocking anymore where stan is concerned
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    And you were dead right. I was castigated for complaining about the likes of Lee Frecklington were selected ahead of more Irish, and more quality players like Shane Long... People argued back that they weren't fighting for the same position. Fair enough. But Geary(who is 100% indigenous 1G Irish!) has nailed down the left back slot at an ever improving Premiership club, is acquitting himself extremely well, was for some inane reason disregarded in favour of ANOTHER LEFT BACK, Luton's Lewis Emmanuel, who just moved from Bradford, and doesn't really offer anything. Case closed. Joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofwhite View Post
    Geary(who is 100% indigenous 1G Irish!) has nailed down the left back slot at an ever improving Premiership club, is acquitting himself extremely well, was for some inane reason disregarded in favour of ANOTHER LEFT BACK, Luton's Lewis Emmanuel, who just moved from Bradford, and doesn't really offer anything. Case closed. Joke.
    The B International was on the 14 November, at that point Geary had played 5 games in the opening 3 months of the season. He had started all but one of those games, and Sheffield United had won exactly one of those games (away at Newcastle) - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_de...playerid=17133
    Emanuel had played 13 times, starting every one, and had only been substituted 4 times, in all those games. Luton's record in those games? W 5 D 3 L 5 ,and he'd scored the winner against Sheffield Wednesday - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_de...playerid=20948

Who would you have picked on club form at that point?

The setup obviously wanted to bring Emanuel into the setup at that point, and I don't think on that club form that Geary would have deserved a call up. Now, a month later, with another 5 games under his belt, I reckon he's worth a place in the squad. But I still don't know if I've seen enough to get him into the starting XI

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast