Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galway Awarded Premier License

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Galway Awarded Premier License

Galway United were among the first clubs to be confirmed for next season's FAI-run Premiership.

There was no relegation or promotion from or to the Premier Division at the end of last season as a FAI-appointed committee decided on the best 12 teams to make up the new league in 2007.

United's off the pitch efforts have paid dividend and they will form part of the new top tier in the eircom League despite finishing third in the First Division.

'This is good news for everyone at Galway United FC in that it shows the Club has achieved the required standards' says General Manager Nick Leeson said in a statement.

'The announcement of the make up of the new FAI Premiership for next season, due on December 11th, is eagerly awaited but whatever the outcome preparations for next season are well underway at Galway United.'

2005 league champions Cork City have also confirmed their admission to the new league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    It's just a premier licence...
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I know but a dundalk fan was on the galway forum preaching it as gospel!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nothing officialy confirmed yet but UTD are going to be in the Premier League.

Thanks LondonHoop.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Right, wait a minute. How much actual fact is there in this? Have Galway released a press statement?

I hope Galway do get in. More teams from the North and West please!

If this is confirmed is it almost certaintly 1st Division for UCD?
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    'The announcement of the make up of the new FAI Premiership for next season, due on December 11th, is eagerly awaited but whatever the outcome preparations for next season are well underway at Galway United.'

It's just Nick 'the king of spin' again.

There is nothing of confirmation in that to suggest Galway have been selected.

If they are though - fair play. Who will lose out though? Will be a travesty if UCD are the team to go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonhoop View Post

United's off the pitch efforts have paid dividend and they will form part of the new top tier in the eircom League despite finishing third in the First Division.
    What about that though?
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway United Official Website
    The FAI has informed Galway United that we have achieved a Premier Division Licence for next season.

This is a critical step in the selection process for the new FAI Premiership and a hurdle the Club is delighted to have jumped.

"This is good news for everyone at Galway United FC in that it shows the Club has achieved the required standards," says Nick Leeson, General Manager of the Club.

"The announcement of the make up of the new FAI Premiership for next season, due on December 11th, is eagerly awaited but whatever the outcome preparations for next season are well underway at Galway United," Leeson added.
    Doesn't say anything about being in the Super Extreme Premier Ultra League for sure next year.
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Its just lazy reporting by setanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    here is whats on our own website !!!!!!

Galway United receive Premier Division Licence Monday, 04 December 2006
    The FAI has informed Galway United that we have achieved a Premier Division Licence for next season.
    This is a critical step in the selection process for the new FAI Premiership and a hurdle the Club is delighted to have jumped.

"This is good news for everyone at Galway United FC in that it shows the Club has achieved the required standards," says Nick Leeson, General Manager of the Club.

"The announcement of the make up of the new FAI Premiership for next season, due on December 11th, is eagerly awaited but whatever the outcome preparations for next season are well underway at Galway United," Leeson added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonhoop View Post

Quote Originally Posted by pól-dcfc View Post
    What about that though?
    I've been making that point for quite a while now, but sadly the only debate that happens afterwards is to whether I'm 'bitching' or just 'moaning'. My point remains however that this no relegation/promotion lark has harmed this new superduper league greatly, even before a ball has been kicked. Any lay fan (or barstool monkey as they were once called on this forum) that I told about this devolpment laughed and said that it was proof that what they have been telling me all along (that the Eircom League is a joke) was right, and to be honest with you, on that point I couldn't argue. This has turned the national league into a running joke, and one that won't be sorted out properly. The only way of the FAI redeeming themselves in some small part would be to promote Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk and to relegate Waterford and leave it at that
    Last edited by jebus; 04/12/2006 at 2:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone got Leeson's phone number?

Someone give him a wee call and get him to clear this up.

Really want Galway in the league though. Great facilities and a well run club. Always follow their results due to a Football Manager "getting Galway into the Champions League group stages" fixation I've had for the past few years.
    DCFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    I've been making that point for quite a while now, but sadly the only debate that happens afterwards is to whether I'm 'bitching' or just 'moaning'. My point remains however that this no relegation/promotion lark has harmed this new superduper league greatly, even before a ball has been kicked. Any lay fan (or barstool monkey as they we once called on this forum) that I told about this devolpment laughed and said that it was proof that what they have been telling me all along (that the Eircom League is a joke) was right, and to be honest with you, on that point I couldn't argue. This has turned the national league into a running joke, and one that won't be sorted out properly. The only way of the FAI redeeming themselves in some small part would be to promote Shamrock Rovers and Dundalk and to relegate Waterford and leave it at that
    I agree that the situation is farcical. And we may well be regarded as a joke league for the next wee while. But surely if the league improves as a result of a better geographical spread of teams with better infrastructures, it's well worth it in the long term?

Personally I wish we had 16 well run leagues and could get back to playing a 30 game season. But thats not going to happen, so maybe this is the best alternative for now.
    DCFC

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It was a case of Setanta Sports mis-reading what was send out as a press release and what appeared on the United website r.e. Galway United obtaining a Premier Licence.

They have changed the news article which started the rumour, see here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    it is cleared up Pol it was just some tool on stanta with a hangover not reading the full press release.

Jebus there is promotion / relegation next season and the season afterwards.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    It is quite clear that he was talking about the club getting a Premier License, not getting into the Premier.

The article is just poorly written.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Easiest way to pick the 12 teams for the new SoooperLeague is to just give 12 teams a Premier licence. If Dundalk don't have licence they can't get promoted.

BTW did Galway Utd have a Premier licence last year?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Easiest way to pick the 12 teams for the new SoooperLeague is to just give 12 teams a Premier licence. If Dundalk don't have licence they can't get promoted.

BTW did Galway Utd have a Premier licence last year?

AFAIK we weren't allowed have one but met the Criteria.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    it is cleared up Pol it was just some tool on stanta with a hangover not reading the full press release.

Jebus there is promotion / relegation next season and the season afterwards.
    Couldn't care less, the damage has already been done as far as I'm concerned. Remember that this new league is supposed to be all about introducing new fans to League of Ireland football, its not about keeping us around because we'll be there next season anyway (well unless the Poles get their finger out Limerick fans might not be ). But if this is about bringing new fans in to watch local teams then this idea has to be one of the worst decisions ever made at the FAI HQ. And I'll bring it back to the English game, simply because we are trying to win back Irish fans hearts from the Premiership.

If the FA decided tomorrow that next season they would abolish relegation/promotion with a view to getting rid of the smaller teams, such as Wigan, Blackburn, Sheffield United etc. and replacing them with bigger clubs like West Brom, Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday than there would be uproar. Over here though certain teams fans (ahem Galway) practically rejoice in it, whilst the rest of us put our heads down and mutter something about the good of the league. Well I'm sorry thats ********, this idea was ******** and the new superduper league will be ******** as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Conor h What do you mean you met the criteria but you weren't allowed to have one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast