Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Galway Awarded Premier License

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    I think i heard that they are 15 teams with premier licenses
    correct RT, the 11 teams from the premier along with Rovers, Galway, Dundalk and Cobh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Conor h What do you mean you met the criteria but you weren't allowed to have one.
    I mean exactly what i said.
    Apparently last year you weren't allowed have a Premier License unless you were in the Premier league.Consequently we were giving a 1st Divison License despite meeting all the required criteria for a premier License.
    I'm open for correction on this but that's what i heard!
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    correct RT, the 11 teams from the premier along with Rovers, Galway, Dundalk and Cobh
    Rovers, Galway, Dundalk AND Cobh!? So it's true God does in fact hate me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If it came from any other poster RT i'd admit it's funny.But knowing how bitter and resentful Jebus is of UTD It takes away from the undoubted humour in the signature.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    correct RT, Cobh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H View Post
    If it came from any other poster RT i'd admit it's funny.But knowing how bitter and resentful Jebus is of UTD It takes away from the undoubted humour in the signature.
    And he's bitter and resentful

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, let me put some clarity on this whole issue before everyone gets carried away.

The process for deciding who's in the new premiership is not yet complete. The whole process involves a number of different steps and each step carries a certaon number of marks out of 1,000.

The first step was based on performances over the five seasons up to and including the 2005 season. Marks from 300 for the best down to 90 for the worst were on offer (think that changed to 100 with Dublin City disappearing).

The next step was for the clubs to make a presentation to the Independent Assessment Group who decide on (as far as I know) 50% of the marks awarded. These marks cover the non-sporting areas such as infrastructure, club structure, marketing, attendances etc. Some of these marks are awarded based on the outcome of Licensing so that clubs didn't have to duplicate information. Licensing have only now made their decision so the IAG can only now finalise their decision.

The third step is the calculation of 2006 perfomances, including league, cup, league cup and europe. Marks are awarded from 200 for best down to 60 for worst. That calculation can only be completed now that the cup final is over.

Once the marks for the above three steps are known that gives a ranking of the clubs from 1 to 21. The final step is for clubs to achieve a Premier licence from club licensing. Assuming more than 12 clubs qualify for a Premier licence then the best 12 will be selected for the Premiership with the rest going into the First Division. The overall result will therefore be known later this week.

In previous seasons clubs could only apply for the licence for the league they were due to compete in hence why Galway could only apply for a First Division licence last year.

By my rough calculations based on what I believe to be the sporting criteria, the current ranking is as follows:
    1) Shels (493 points out of 500)
    2) Derry (460)
    3) Cork (447)
    4) Drogheda (437)
    5) Longford (430)
    6) Bohs (423)
    7) Pats (420)
    8) Rovers (383)
    9) UCD (370)
    10) Sligo (360)
    11) Waterford (340)
    12) Bray (333)
    13) Harps (283)
    14) Galway (277)
    15) Limerick (260)
    16) Dundalk (257)
    16) Cobh (257)
    18) Kildare (240)
    19) Athlone (187)
    19) Kilkenny (187)
    21) Monaghan (183)

So basically if the 11 current premier teams and Rovers get a premier licence, the remaining first division teams will have to a lot higher on the non-sporting criteria and get their premier licence to get into the new premiership.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stato View Post
    The next step was for the clubs to make a presentation to the Independent Assessment Group who decide on (as far as I know) 50% of the marks awarded. These marks cover the non-sporting areas such as infrastructure, club structure, marketing, attendances etc. Some of these marks are awarded based on the outcome of Licensing so that clubs didn't have to duplicate information.
    The IAG presentation only counts for something like 10%. The rest of the off-field is based on stuff like attendences, youth development, infrastructure, licensing etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Monaghan was more than able to achieve an A licence there was nothing in any area of the licence manual thatr we could not meet but made a dicision to apply for a B licence as it was clear we would be playing in the first division. however some of the clubs who have been awarded an A licence (and fair play to them ) have made a joke of the licensing system
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    The IAG presentation only counts for something like 10%. The rest of the off-field is based on stuff like attendences, youth development, infrastructure, licensing etc.
    They decide on the full 50% but most of those marks are set in stone i.e. if a club achieves something it gets a specific mark. The 10% is the bit where the IAG exercise some discretion based on the submissions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    someone said it before but it looks like the easy option will be to take rovers up and no other movement up or down and it will make it easier over the next two years to reduce it to ten. only my guess
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have always enjoyed visits to Galway and would love to see them in the Premier, so it's not like I don't wish them well or so. But tell me: how can a club be promoted while for the last seasons they always failed on-pitch in gaining promotion?! The EL will look very foolish if a 6th-ranked club is being relegated for a club that played Div.I for years now... If it were Harps or Rovers you can say they deserve it based on several years in the Premier during the recent times, but Galway?! As I said, I wish them well and always had a soft spot for the city, but where's the honour in being promoted purely for off-pitch reasons?
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Everybody loves us....

Gerrit. Good vibes like yours towards Galway might get us promoted!!!

Thanks.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by londonhoop View Post
    Galway United were among the first clubs to be confirmed for next season's FAI-run Premiership
    Thanks but I think I'll wait til it's offically announced before I believe that.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Everybody loves us....

Gerrit. Good vibes like yours towards Galway might get us promoted!!!

Thanks.
    Sure ask Conor all about how much I love Galway. Apparantly I'm bitter and resentful of a small potatoes club who have never won the league, who's biggest European match was against Odense and who are doing everything but hand out sexual favours at the FAI in an effort to get promoted off the pitch. Sure how could I not be envious?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The New FAI League should be sponsored by Durex
    Given Damien Richardson's comments earlier this season and who's in charge!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Sure ask Conor all about how much I love Galway. Apparantly I'm bitter and resentful of a small potatoes club who have never won the league, who's biggest European match was against Odense and who are doing everything but hand out sexual favours at the FAI in an effort to get promoted off the pitch. Sure how could I not be envious?

Er, you lost me there jebus. I never implied that Galway United were monsters of European football or anything like that. As stated elsewhere, I have witnessed first-hand the potential of soccer in Limerick so you seem to be getting your wires crossed.

For what it's worth, Limerick FC have never won the Premier League or played in Europe. In the past, Limerick City and Limerick United have been in Europe but not Limerick FC.

If you have a gripe with ConorH, that's fine by me but if you live in a glasshouse, don't thr....nevermind.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12