Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Promotion/relegation

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Promotion/relegation

How many teams get promoted at the end of the season? Is it one automatically, and one playoff?

With Waterford, Cobh, Limerick and Galway the top 4 teams in Div 1, it would make the away trips to dubland less frequent, if UCD and Bray got the chop.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    AFAIK, 1 team goes up and 1 goes down with 2nd top in 1st Div playing 2nd bottom of premier in the playoff. My preference would be for Harps and Waterford to be promoted and UCD and Bray to go down. Would help things even out nicely.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would obviously love to see ucd go down because they always take points of us. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bray not least because we always seem to do well against them.

Probably shouldnt admit to it but I'd quite like to see ramblers come up for the derbies and a financially doable away trip or two. Waterford would be alright too.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by foureyes
    I would obviously love to see ucd go down because they always take points of us. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bray not least because we always seem to do well against them.

Probably shouldnt admit to it but I'd quite like to see ramblers come up for the derbies and a financially doable away trip or two. Waterford would be alright too.
    I wouldn´t mind the ramblers coming up, it´d be good for cork, but for the league as a whole- well there are bigger clubs with more potential. I´ve nothing really against Bray as a club, other than the Carlisle grounds is a horrible place to go for a game and they´re one of the most likely Dublin (it´s on the dart line-they´re dubs) clubs to go down.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think the play-off is more complex this year... But I'm not sure...

The bottom club go down with the first division champions coming the opposite direction...

The second from bottom go into a four way play-off system with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the first division...

I don't know the format... but i suspect the premier team play the fourth placed first division team and 2nd and 3rd play each other... I don't know if all ties are over two legs or not..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From FAI.ie ]
    Furthermore, this season sees an expansion of the popular play-off system. This year 4 teams will compete for the last place in the Premier Division for the 2003 season. The second to bottom team in the Premier Division will face the 4th place team in Division One in the semi-final. The other semi-final will be between the 2nd and 3rd place in Division One. The winners of these matches played over two legs, will meet in the final, again to be played home and away

[SIZE=1]P.S. will some of you super Mods put this in a more appropiate forum[/SIZE]

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Xlex
    [SIZE=1]P.S. will some of you super Mods put this in a more appropiate forum[/SIZE]
    done and dusted!

That seems like an awfully complicated way to go about it! Typical FAI, they can´t stick with the easy logical option

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't know Éanna, its an innovative idea and if the series maybe worth televising... Its crual way of doing it and I think that if the quality improves in the first division the play-off series would be better television than the Cup final... You have more to play for...

I'd certainly watch it... Would you?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Xlex
    I'd certainly watch it... Would you?
    good point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    With 12 teams in the first division, it was necessary to do this IMO. Otherwise, nearly two thirds of the division would probably have nothing to play for in the last 5 or 6 games. Given that the premier tema has won it the last few years, maybe they want to up the chances of a first division team winning.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    With 12 teams in the first division, it was necessary to do this IMO. Otherwise, nearly two thirds of the division would probably have nothing to play for in the last 5 or 6 games. Given that the premier tema has won it the last few years, maybe they want to up the chances of a first division team winning.
    Yeah, i agree, i think with the extra weight in Div1 it makes it more fair
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.