Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Gunther's decisions....

1. Deccie Daly starts. Gaz and Greg on the bench
    2. Alan Reynolds taken off.

Is it just me or do others think these are appalling decisions?

3. City only showed fighting spirit when we scored. We were a different team after the goal.

Why can we not get that spirit and fire from the start ??? it's mostly down to the players, but surely the manager should have them straining at the leash, so to speak, from the kick-off. If Gunther reacted and was as animated as patsy gets, would it help/hinder/make no difference to the team?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

I'm undecide about Deccie as Gaz isn't up to center back so its Benno or Deccie.....

I continue to be stunned that Greg cannot be found a position at right back or centre midfield - i'll be the first to admit Greg was bit of a whinger in recent seasons without backing up with performances but he has improved no end this season.

O'Grady may have been player of the year last season but hes either unfit this year or only looked good last becuase of the drivel surrounding him. Either way Conor does not warrant a starting place at the moment.

The only reason i wasn't amazed with Reynolds substitution on friday was cos Gunther has done the same thing this season already.

The players that played gave thier all- its not their fault Mr. Murphy picks them.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, if you were to pick the most likely player to sent off when tensions are running high, who would it be? - Rennie.

On Friday night, City were down to 10 men & tensions were running high - so Murphy took off Rennie who was already on a yellow to avoid the risk of a card-happy ref sending him off too.
    Do you think we'd have held on with 9 men???

Also,the added bonus of this change was that a more offensive player was brought on so that maybe City could avoid the defending too deep scenario ( which you wuld have balmed Murphy for aswell) by having more than one player who take the pressure off further up the pitch - which Warren did, and Rennie couldn't have done.

Before ye start , I'm neither a big fan of his nor a "Murphy out" type - but not everything he does is wrong.

On the reason why Deccie is in and Gaz is out - Gaz has not had a good season at centre back and has been responsible for more goals against that Deccie. So while Deccie is not a longterm answer, neither is Gaz on current form. I do agree, absolutely, that Greg & Benno should be in with Conor and Carey dropped...

Neil

Re: Gunther's decisions....

Originally posted by oddboy
    1. Deccie Daly starts. Gaz and Greg on the bench
    2. Alan Reynolds taken off.

Is it just me or do others think these are appalling decisions?

3. City only showed fighting spirit when we scored. We were a different team after the goal.
    I agree 100% oddboy. Greg HAS to play (I'd put him in instead of Carey though).

Whether Daly plays well or not doesn't really matter to me. He is a hoofer - end of story! And when he is there we don't play ball.

I could not believe it when Rennie was taken off. He has been our most consistent player by a mile this season and is one of the few that can hold the ball and take the sting out of the opponents play. Whether he was likely to be sent-off is another matter - surely we keep our best players on the pitch.

As for the spirit: that has been the story of the last couple of years. Who else can you blame there other than the manager???

Broken record.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Greg

Greg has matured into a fine player.

As someone who was critical of him in the past I'm delighted to eat my words Here's hoping he keeps it up and dosn't fall foul of a 'pesonality clash'.
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Gonna keep this simple:
    Rennie has been player of the season so far.
    Greg is a different player to what he used to be- has to start.
    Deccie is past it.
    Gaz is a full-back.
    Grady appears to be either unfit or on very poor form.
    Murphy is an idiot.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Gunther's decisions....

Originally posted by Neil

I agree 100% oddboy. Greg HAS to play (I'd put him in instead of Carey though).
    Definitely, Carey's much too loose a manmarker at this level.
    Eanna, I agree with most of what you've written except the player of the season to date, IMO Jofy should get that particular accolade.

Murphy Out Now!!!
    McCarthy Out Now!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Gunther's decisions....

Originally posted by Shed End John
    Eanna, I agree with most of what you've written except the player of the season to date, IMO Jofy should get that particular accolade.
    That nickname is banned!!!

No seriously though, I´d give it to Rennie cos he´s done the business home and away. O´Flynn has been like the team- fantastic at home, verging on anonymous away. Rennie has been head and shoulders above everyone else.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Why O' Grady???

Rennie is just the kind of midfielder that we needed. He is composed and does the simple things right, elements ususally lacking in Eircom league players. Himself and O' Halloran would make an awesome midfield.

I'm still of the belief thouh that George O' Callaghan would make a better midfielder than attacker (remember the last 20 minutes against Rovers). Georgino & Rennie ould be perfectly balanced midfield.

As for O' Grady. I can't see what Gunther sees in him. He had another shocking performance on Friday, almost as bad as his no show against Derry in the semi final.

Why does Gunther always pick him and leave him on? He is a wannabe hacket man in midfield and no more.

Greg, Benno, CT, Rennie & George are all better than him in my opinion.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gunther's decisions....

Originally posted by Éanna
    Rennie has been head and shoulders above everyone else.
    Yeah I'd agree with that, and he is a small bloke too !!
    Reynolds has been one of the best signings ever for City, and while J O'F and George have been great and got all the headlines, Rennie, Devine and Greg have been my outstanding players so far.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gunther's decisions....

Originally posted by oddboy
    while J O'F and George have been great and got all the headlines, Rennie, Devine and Greg have been my outstanding players so far.
    that sums it up exactly. of course the guys scoring the goals and doing the fancy tricks are going to get the plaudits, thats the way things are, but the likes of greg, rennie and devine are the ones performing 9 out of ten every week, home and away.