Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barcelona

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Cheapest advertised ticket was 30 euro for total level when i was over couple of week ago. I got the impression I should have bought the cheapest ticket & move to empty seat after 10-15 minutes as seemed to be few if any restrictions on movement...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    There's not between levels 2, 3 & 4
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Try the side streets off Las Ramblas. Had one the the best meals of my life in a restaurant there. Wish I could remember the name, but it was fantastic. Half a chicken and spuds for €3, with amazing Créma Catalana.
    It's to the right, about 2/3 of the way down Las Ramblas. It's a tiny place, brown on the outside, I think.
    That sounds very like a place I went to when I was there last year, think it might have been called "La Fondu" or something like that. €33 for 2 main course, deserts, coffee & some vino. Classic.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Cheers for that lads, think we'll take our chances on the day so.
    more bass

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The prices for tickets depends on who Barcelona are playing. How they work it is that they are 3 ticket price categories. Cat A, B,C. I went to a Cat C game that was Celta Vigo so ticket prices are minimum €18 and max €60. Because we are getting to end of season most games will now be classed as CAT B games so tickets will be more pricey but not by a whole lot. It's very easy to get them at the box office over there don't worry about touts etc, the only game which is hard to get tickets is for the Madrid game

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Just back yesterday and what a place!
    Recommended to anyone, we got to see most of the sights in the three days too though could have done with a couple more to spend a bit of time in some of them, the Maritime Museum, the cable car across the harbour, the Gothic Quarter and the Olympic stuff all had to get the skip.
    Sagrada Familia, the oddball park Guell, Tibidabo up the mountain on the ancient tram and funicular, Montjuic and the best views from the Miramar area, and of course Camp Nou were the highlights, along with the food, drink and totally sound inhabitants. Genuinely never once felt in a dodgy area or situation, even on Las Ramblas.
    Have design fatigue now too, even the lamposts are works of art.
    Oh, and didn't see any sign of the cheap match ticket prices ye all got lucky with. Cheapest seats for the Mallorca game, as on the website, up in the gods, were €50. We went for second cheapest, classy! Pity the game wasn't great, but a pure joy nonetheless.
    The local Estrella beer is gorgeous too. And the ham croquettes, flaminguilles and creme catalunya, oh man!!!!
    Last edited by stann; 19/04/2007 at 3:05 AM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Did anyone here who flew to Barcelona fly to Girona Airport? Im flying there with Ryanair. I understand there will be a bus there waiting to bring us to Barcelona. Would anyone who may have flew here and then got this bus to the city be able to tell me how frequently do these busses go to Barcelona and/or where does the bus stop in Barcelona city itself? Need to know because we have to tell the owners of the apartment we are staying in what time we think we will arrive.

Cheers for any info!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Friends of mine have done it. I think the bus leaves 30/40 minutes after arriving. It leaves you in Placa Catalunya, which is smack bang in the middle of the city. Takes about 70 minutes
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Friends of mine have done it. I think the bus leaves 30/40 minutes after arriving. It leaves you in Placa Catalunya, which is smack bang in the middle of the city. Takes about 70 minutes

Cheers dodge!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great City but watch out for pick pockets there everywhere and most of them are respectably dressed. me da had his wallet snatched by a rafa benitez look-a-like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Great City but watch out for pick pockets there everywhere and most of them are respectably dressed. me da had his wallet snatched by a rafa benitez look-a-like
    Yeah Ive heard that alright. Cheers for the advice, definitly wont carry all of my money at once when Im there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Hands in pockets, money in front pocket, and without question nothing in your back pocket

Job done
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Barcelona

Heading over there on Monday with the missus for 2 nights. Never been before so just looking for places to head for something to eat, have a drink, go to visit and the usual holiday stuff. Any suggestions - cheers.
    Who Cares?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    2 days isn't much so; do the bus tour, it's really good hop on hop off jobbie, go to the Gaudi Cathederal Sagrada Famillia. Maybe Nou Camp tour?
    The gothic quarter is nice, find a cafe and gorge on tapas, it's the decent thing to do.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Merged you into this thread Raheny. Think most of it is covered.

Seeing as you're going midweek I should point out that a lot of bars still do happy hours, which could be anything from 5pm to 8pm. One of my drunkest ever nights started at 5pm in Barcelona with bottles of beer only a euro
    ---

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheny Red View Post
    Heading over there on Monday with the missus for 2 nights. Never been before so just looking for places to head for something to eat, have a drink, go to visit and the usual holiday stuff. Any suggestions - cheers.
    Without doubt RR do the hop-on-hop-off bus circuit at least once, it's a must. If your hotel is anywhere near one of the 'bus turistic' routes, then get the two day ticket as it doubles fantastically well as your transpost around the city.
    IIRC there's three tourist bus routes (colour coded), but one (that mainly goes to Olympic sites and the beaches) only operates in the summer. The other two go all day right around all the sights of the city that you'll want to see, in two big circuits with a few intersecting points, and are a brilliant way to get around. They do have a nifty and cheap underground too, but I never needed to use it.

Some of the spots to make sure you get to:
    Camp Nou, of course,
    The stunning cathedral,
    Parc Guell which is lovely and quirky for a stroll around if it's fine,
    Some of Gaudi's melty, wavey houses (Casa Mila for example),
    Montjuic, it's lovely up there on a hill to the side of the city, loads of interesting places on the bus route there, and Miramar has the best views of the city and harbour I think, and has a nice looking cablecar ride which I regret not going on,
    and Ramblas del Mar, the sea front at the bottom of Las Ramblas which again is lovely to stroll around in the sun, and has plenty to see also - Columbus' Column, the Maritime Museum and the Aquarium are all around there.

Didn't go into too many pubs to be honest, only a tiny one next to the hotel, run by a rabid Barca fan with half a dozen words of English and a shrine to Kubala and Stoichkov who would chat all night about them.
    The only thing to say about food & drink is - drink Estrella, it's the perfect beer, and eat tapas! (the patatas bravas, the croquettes, and the creme catalunya should all be tried)
    Last edited by stann; 25/02/2010 at 1:28 PM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Oh definitely, another vote for Estrella and Patatas Bravas (even the version sold in a Catalan sandwich chain "Pans" is gorgeous)
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Cheers lads. Anyone ever been to zoo over there? The girlfriend always has to go to a zoo whenever where are abroad. Is it any use?
    Who Cares?!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    It's supposed to be decent enough, I never went to it but my mate did, I think there is a white albino gorrilla there, I'm not sure if it's still alive.

Also if you take the Blue Metro line to Peu Del Finicular, you can get a mountain train thing up to the hills and you'll get a fantastic view of the city and the sea - well worth doing on a sunny day. I read somewhere you can even see the mountains of the Baleric Islands (Mallorca etc) from there on a clear day, but I think that's unlikely. If you go round the back of the mountain railway you can see the pyrenees. You can then get a quick bus to a place called Tibidado and another metro down, all in all should take under 1hr from central Barcelona.

These are pics taken from there not mine.

Last edited by Closed Account 2; 28/02/2010 at 3:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Cheers for the pointers lads, very useful - had a great time. The weather was perfect on the first two days, at one stage it reached 22 degrees, p*ssed down on the Wednesday though. Did the Aquarium, Zoo, Red Line Bus Tour, and the Nou Camp. Out of the four the Aquarium was the most expensive and was easily the worst attraction we visited. If that's the second largest Aquarium in Europe I can safely say I won't be visiting another one on this continent anytime soon, give me Bray's anyday . While it was great being just a few feet away from massive sharks it wasn't worth the €17.50 entry fee. The Zoo was great and I'd highly recommend it. The highlight being the dolphin show which lasted 50 minutes and it really was excellent. There are two shows a day both starting at 11.30 and 1.30. The bus tour was Ok, it was great to see so much of the city in a couple of hours but I'm the type of person who prefers to go inside rather than looking from the outside. For instance, I fell asleep on a bus tour of Vienna . The Nou Camp was good but I was expecting better for some reason?! It was surreal walking out into the stands at first and being swallowed up by the size of the ground but I was hoping for more, in terms of the tour. I thought the home dressing was ****e, for a club of its size - the seating was appalling in the changing room. Overall, it was a great trip and would definitely head back.
    Who Cares?!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast