Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy O'Donovan (F Newcastle Jets b.1985)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    He's made what 2 starts all season? 4 as a sub? There's 8 games left, and 8 crucially important games. Keane needs to stick with the tried and trusted Jones, Murphy and Chopra.
    He's made 3 starts and has come on 8 times in the league. In total, he's played 4 starts and 9 as a sub. I don't mean to be a pedant, but it's not particularly difficult to find these figures out before you post messages.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    I dont see how Chopra , Jones and Murphy are triied and tested , I think its their first full season in the Premier League for all 3 , and none have exactly been banging in the goals.
    In fairness Jones has been very good this season, 5 goals and 9 assists from 25 games back that up. Murphy and Chopra haven't done much but have made more of an impact that O'Donovan.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    No it's not and no he's not.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the last we'll see of Roy O'D in a Sunderland shirt tbh.

Ridiculous statement.Was one of Sunderlands better players at weekend and Im sure the lad is improving and learning all the time, its a big jump to straight from Eircom League to Premiership. Even people like Henry sometimes take a season to adjust properly to the Premiership, not saying hes near that class but Im sure he will prove to be a good player in time. If Kevin Doyle can do it theres no reason why O Donovan cant if he works hard. Lots of Cork fans would say that O Donovan was better than Doyle for City

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Prica (hard to understand why bought him)
    looked really handy when he scored on his debut. hardly seen anything of him since

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Lots of Cork fans would say that O Donovan was better than Doyle for City
    Nope. Doyle had an excellent football brain even at City so contributed a lot even when not scoring. O'Donovan very quick (he even looks quick in PL from what I have seen) & excellent finisher. Overall Doyle was more mature too.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Mate where in gods name did you come up with a stupid logic like this.
    Ciaran likes to get as big a reaction as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It would be harsh to drop a player after his first start as forward was against Chelsea. It is hard to judge the order of forwards as Keane only plays 451 so everyone bar Jones plays wide in 5 man midfield. O'Donovan did start ahead of Prica (hard to understand why bought him) on Saturday.
    Prica is not a great player tbh. It was a mistake buying him.

He failed to make it in Germany which is way weaker than the Premiership. The only positive thing about him was finishing top scorer in the Danish League last season, a bit like finishing top scorer in Scotland for Hibernian or the like.
    Last edited by finnpark; 18/03/2008 at 5:39 PM.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think a lot of people on here give too much lenience to former LOI players for some reason or another.

The fact of the matter is, O Donovan is NOT a premiership player, anyone who's watched most of the games in which he's played this season will agree, and he would fit into a moderate championship team in my opinion.

Keane has made some woeful signings, which could result in relegation (Chopra 5.5m is the big one) and I don't think in hindsight, Keane would rate O D as a great signing, considering he hasn't really forced his way into the starting line-up.

If I was to put money on it O Donovan will be sold over the summer or loaned out next year, if Sunderland are still a Premiership team.

I hope that doesn't happen but I have a feeling it will.
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenokelly View Post
    I think a lot of people on here give too much lenience to former LOI players for some reason or another.

The fact of the matter is, O Donovan is NOT a premiership player, anyone who's watched most of the games in which he's played this season will agree, and he would fit into a moderate championship team in my opinion.

Keane has made some woeful signings, which could result in relegation (Chopra 5.5m is the big one) and I don't think in hindsight, Keane would rate O D as a great signing, considering he hasn't really forced his way into the starting line-up.

If I was to put money on it O Donovan will be sold over the summer or loaned out next year, if Sunderland are still a Premiership team.

I hope that doesn't happen but I have a feeling it will.
    While I would agree that he's not Premiership standard just yet from what I've seen, he does seem to have a lot of the tools necessary to be successful, certainly physically. Whether he's got the brain for it yet, I'm not sure.

Sunderland is a hard place to be right now for a young player. You're not allowed to make mistakes, and the pressure to get points in order to avoid the drop is tremendous.

For offensive players, this situation is especially frightening. Offensive players will lose the ball maybe 4 out of every 5 attacks.

But when losing the ball can be so costly, it sometimes becomes less about scoring as it does about keeping the other team out.

In addition, most games Sunderland will have less possession than their opponents, and yet O'Donovan's strengths lie on the ball, not off it.

Trying to judge a young player like O'Donovan in this situation is extremely difficult, especially when he is being played out of position on the right side of midfield.

I think a top coach or scout would have trouble evaluating him in this situation, let alone the likes of us who mostly see him on TV.

One thing I will not do though is write him off at the age of 20 while in the midst of a relegation battle with an inexperienced manager who chops and changes the team every week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Having actually seen them both play in person a few times, O'Donovan is better than Chopra

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    O'Donovan is not a Premier League player but same could be said of Sunderland. Besides Jones there is not a single player who would be bought by Premier League side should they get relegated.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gordon? Richardson? Reidy? bardsley?
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Johnny Evans, Carlos Edwards

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Dwight Yorke *

*Please note I'm joking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    O'Donovan is not a Premier League player
    I could have sworn that he was playing in that league last weekend and should have won a penalty against England's top rated central defender. It must have been a different Roy O'Donovan
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Top scorer in Denmark isn't good enough but top scorer in the eircom league is?
    Age, potential & 1/4 the price.

Prica a strange purchase mid season when already could field nearly a full team of forwards.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Age, potential & 1/4 the price.

Prica a strange purchase mid season when already could field nearly a full team of forwards.
    In fairness none of them had more than 4 goals, so you can understand him looking at another option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I'd have O'Donovan and Stokes in the Sunderland team before Rade Prica. Agree that he was another poor signing by Keane and he doesn't offer anything that wasn't already in the Sunderland squad.

Rade Prica has shown that he can score against lesser opposition in the Danish and Swedish leagues. But O'Donovan and Stokes have also shown their goalscoring abilities at Cork and Falkirk respectively. IMO Stokes' goalscoring record at Falkirk, in a league that's higher ranked than the Danish league, is more impressive than what Prica did at Aalborg.

In the case of O'Donovan, I don't think Keane has given him a decent chance to prove himself yet. It's difficult to show what you can do when you're only getting a few minutes here and there to play. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Keane, for the most part, has used all his substitutions in each premiership match. This highlights he doesn't really know what his strongest line-up is as he's unprepared to let his starting line-up finish the game. It's difficult for O'Donovan to prove himself when his manager can't stop tinkering with the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Difficult one to judge the likes of Solksjaer and Flo (I'm sure there are many others but I don't have the time to think of them!) came over to the english leagues and did very well; there is always a risk when buying players that are unproven, Keane I feel, has been unlucky in that the club can't attract the level of player required to prosper in the premier league at this moment of time. Therefore he has to buy players with a risk value attached. He has also been unlucky in the sense that normally one or two would have turned out to be good! I think O'Donovon has shown glimpses that he could be a good footballer some day, but with sunderland embroiled in a relegation battle its probably not the best of breeding grounds for him.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    No it's not and no he's not.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the last we'll see of Roy O'D in a Sunderland shirt tbh.

well hes starting against Aston Villa again today

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast