Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i couldnt make it...was too short notice..ill be there next week

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good stuff wild rover, try and drag along some more supporters.Meetings tend to be only 45-60 mins.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i will..is it thursday?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Will be Tuesday 7pm in City Hotel

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rogue Trader:

Trust Membership
    I’m sorry that I have missed the point that “you didn’t receive an application form when you asked for one twice”
    Alan from the Trust has come on and said that he will send you out an application form if you send him your details.He has also said that you can download a form from their site as well.So now Rogue Trader,you have 2 ways of getting an application form and should have no real excuse of not joining the Trust now,so out of curiousity have you sent on your details or downloaded the form?
    In February of this year,you enquired about the Dublin Supporters Club.Alan replied to you that the Trust were contacted in assistinhg the set up of the club.
    In July of this year,you started a tread titled “Supporters Trust Still Going?”Alan Kearins and Gary replied to you.Your reply to Gary was “Thanks Gary for the reply-just wondering as I am not living in Sligo”
    At no time did you mention application forms,not getting them etc
    To sum this up,you didn’t get an application form but now have 2 ways of getting one.
    So hopefully you will join the Trust and help them support and raise funds for Sligo Rovers which really at the end of the day is what it should be all about.

Dublin Supporters Club
    “How do you know I’m not a member of the Dublin Supporters Club already?”
    Let’s assume you are a member of the Dublin Supporters Club-so as a member can you tell us how much money was raised for Sligo Rovers from the Table Quiz you were involved with?

Commercial Manager
    “In regards to the commercial manager how do you know that is has not been advertised ? You would want to be careful coming out with a statement like that.”
    Can you tell me where it actually was advertised?It wasn’t in both local papers,or in any other regional paper to the best of my knowledge.

It will be interesting to see how much the Commercial manager actually raised after you take into account the costs associated with the camps plus his wages and expenses.Hopefully these camps are a good source of revenue and can be built on in years to come.

Lotto
    “Just read the whole thing and i have to say what complete nonsense my god your saying that supporters club members who sell Lotto tickets in their area should not get any credit are you for real”
    I never said their shouldn’t get credit for selling lotto tickets-anybody who raises money for Sligo Rovers whether it is 1 euro or 1,000 euro should be praised and encouraged.
    The point I was making was as the Lotto is the main source of income for the Club and is the main source of fundraising for the North and South Sligo Supporters Club,I didn’t think it was appropriate to come out and offer commission to people to sell it.This is my opinion only.
    Are people getting paid to sell the Lotto?

So that’s it Rogue Trader,let’s get behind the Trust and in turn Sligo Rovers and encourage these lads and not always be putting them down or criticising them.
    At the end of the day,the more money we can raise for Sligo Rovers by whatever means will help ensure that we stay in the top division and entice better players.

Redzer

Trust
    It looks like the Trust is still there and seeing as there is 5 of the Management Committee of Sligo Rovers members of the Trust(which I didn’t know), is it now not time to join the Trust and get things rolling in Sligo Town as you are willing to do with a Supporters club?

Money Raised
    In relation to money collected by the Trust, you say that it doesn’t necessarily end up with Rovers unlike the Supporters Clubs-if it doesn’t go to Rovers where does it go and what proof have you got of same?

So Rogue Trader,Redzer,1928,Wild Rover and everybody else who has the interests of Sligo Rovers at heart,why don’t we put all our differences aside and channel all our energies into Sligo Rovers and not into each other.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Here, Here Sligo1

Too much attacking of people who are actually raising funds for the club and doing it off their own back without looking for PR or praise for thier efforts.

As for the Lotto and commission % from sales issue - from day one that the Lotto was set up in the early 90's, during McStays reign, the ticket sellers have always been allowed to keep value of 2 tickets for themselves as commission for selling them.

However no one I know actually ever kept the money as they wanted it to go to the club.

Again the sale of the Lotto tickets were done by people giving up their free time over the last 12 years of the club lotto - people doing something for their club behind the scenes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Originally Posted by sligo1

In my opinion you are wrong to say the Trust is not affiliated with Sligo Rovers, you say they are independent of Sligo Rovers but what is wrong with that? In what way are the other 3 supporters clubs affiliated with Sligo Rovers that the Trust isn’t?

"I am not wrong, the trust is not affiliated.
    Nothing wrong at all with been independent, and I never said there was anything wrong with them been independent. That is the decision they made at the beginning.
    The difference is the supporters clubs are registered official supporters clubs to Sligo Rovers, whose accounts are audited annually by the clubs accountants. 100% of money raised goes to the club. There contribution is generally acknowledged at the clubs AGM."

In relation to money collected by the Trust, you say that it doesn’t necessarily end up with Rovers unlike the Supporters Clubs-if it doesn’t go to Rovers where does it go and what proof have you got of same?

"I cannot answer that question. They have said on a number of occasions that they have running and other charges, because it is some sort of company. But out of curiosity I rang a member of the South Sligo to find out how much they have raised in 2006.
    He told me he hasn’t got an accurate figure yet, but in lotto sales alone they have collected in the region of €25-30.000. That money has gone to the club. They have other fundraisers which is paying of a loan of €10.000 which they borrowed to buy a tractor and equipment for the all-weather pitch. They are presently working on their annual calender. He told me this money is expected to be able to be offered to the new manager for new players in the new year.
    How much has the trust raised, perhaps you can find that out?"

You said that if the Trust is dead ,that you would get involved in setting up a Supporters Club in the town-why are you not a member of the Trust?

"Because it is a company, I am not satisfied 100%, that the money I give will go to the club .It was stated at the last AGM, and I don’t want to keep bringing this up, but you ask the question. Rovers were told when they asked the trust for money, that they had a cheek in asking the trust for money. So when people give money to the trust they should be aware where the money goes. If a country supporters club, and I don’t want them to feel I have anything against them, but if they can rise €30K plus a year, where or what are the trust doing with the money? All I can see is a figure of €3.000 been given to Rovers from the trust. Please correct me if I am wrong, and I will apologise."

If the Trust is finished for whatever reason,will you organise a meeting to set up a Sligo town branch and if so when will it be?

"No. I would no good organising that, but an invitation to the supporters clubs for advice might not be a bad idea."

Maybe somebody can answer this one for me-there used to be a Supporters Club in town-did the Trust form from this?If they didn’t, what happened that club?

"Yes, more or less the same people are involved with the trust."
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As per my earlier post above, there have been 5 different supporters clubs in the town at different stages over the last 15-20 years.

Every time the club was doing well a club was created and it had a bit of impetous however like attendances at the showgies when times were bad interest fell and the clubs disbanded.

Running Supporters clubs (and the lads in the trust) operation is something you have to experience before you can truely comment on how difficult they are to operate and keep going in times adversity and lack of interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligo1 View Post
    Redzer

Trust
    It looks like the Trust is still there and seeing as there is 5 of the Management Committee of Sligo Rovers members of the Trust(which I didn’t know), is it now not time to join the Trust and get things rolling in Sligo Town as you are willing to do with a Supporters club?

Money Raised

So Rogue Trader,Redzer,1928,Wild Rover and everybody else who has the interests of Sligo Rovers at heart,why don’t we put all our differences aside and channel all our energies into Sligo Rovers and not into each other.
    Actually I am surprised that 5 MC are members!!!! Who are they?
    I have answered the money issue in my last post. Like i said they seem to have running costs, legal fees. etc not like supporters clubs. €3K to Rovers is sweet fanny adams, but hopefully that will improve.
    Maybe if there is a positive response from the AGM, which should be happening soon, then I will put my energy behind the trust.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ill be there nxt week! again too short notice...
    im tryin to volunteer for the lotto for the club... ny idea how i might go about it? any age limit as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SligoBrewer View Post
    ill be there nxt week! again too short notice...
    im tryin to volunteer for the lotto for the club... ny idea how i might go about it? any age limit as well?
    I would't trust you with the money
    "he tries his best.... but I was a proper player".

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

moaners

anyone that has made an effort to set up a trust, a supporters club, should be commended not fired at by people who talk a lot and dont do. If you really expect these clubs to succeed and in turn your club take your finger out of your behind and do something. It doestnt matter if there is 100 diff support clubs, the more the merrier, but supporters also need to get smart and not be used by the suits in club just to get money when things are tight. if clubs are contributing they should be earning rights as well and have a true say in their clubs. if they only contributed 1000 euro its something more than the moaners ever will

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "Because it is a company, I am not satisfied 100%, that the money I give will go to the club .It was stated at the last AGM, and I don’t want to keep bringing this up, but you ask the question. Rovers were told when they asked the trust for money, that they had a cheek in asking the trust for money. So when people give money to the trust they should be aware where the money goes. If a country supporters club, and I don’t want them to feel I have anything against them, but if they can rise €30K plus a year, where or what are the trust doing with the money? All I can see is a figure of €3.000 been given to Rovers from the trust. Please correct me if I am wrong, and I will apologise."

At for last years AGM for anyone who was not there a question was asked "How much money was raised last year from supporters clubs".The treasurer outlined what the 2 supporetrs clubs rasied but then for some unknown reason began to say that the trust gave €3000 but wasnt sure if they ahd donated all money rasied to teh club as he said he was not allowed see the accounts.This was untrue, firts off he never requested to see them if they did the trust would not have a problem allowing them to see them.As one shareholder said "ye were ambushed".

Now waht really needed to be asked was Why the club felt they needed to do this,I mean how could anyone say this was done in the best interest of the club what good came from it.What happens when you go to a potential sponsor who herad what hapened, all it done was sew seeds of doubt in peoples heads and meant raising money for the club was made more difficult.

Also no one said "they had a cheek to ask for money" but unfortunately this is all the club seems to care about, money.What about supporetrs and their concerns on non money issues, wheh do the club ever listen to them.

Why has the club never once come out and try and encourge supporters to get involved in the trust in town which inevitably will help the club in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    Actually just read over the thread and it does not look too good on us as supporters if we are fighting with ourselves to be honest wiould not mind seeing thisa one locked.
    I would look the opposite way RT. I believe it can only benefit supporters to have debates. It's hardly fighting among ourselves. For some reason if you question or say the slightest negative remark about the trust, a few people will go straight for your throat.
    They should be able to debate issues without having to personalise things.
    Whether it’s a supporters club or the trust, we as contributors should be able to question their organisation. After all they have a responsibility to be forthright if they are raising funds in the name of Sligo Rovers Football Club.
    All involved are doing a difficult and at times a thankless job, and without them the club would be a hell of a lot worse off.
    Getting back to the beginning of this tread, it is obvious that a second supporters group in the town would only cause bitterness and tensions. That should not be the case. The trust is very different to a supporters club. For various reason the trust is not everybody’s cup of tea. At the moment you don’t have a choice. There should be no reason both groups could not work together for the good of the club. In fact there is no reason you could not be member of both.
    A town this size can easily afford to have a few different groups, for example they could be based in areas like the political ward system. E.g.: North Ward Supporters etc.
    The trust should change it’s outlook, that if you are not with us then you must be against us. That is not the case.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "They should be able to debate issues without having to personalise things.
    Whether it’s a supporters club or the trust, we as contributors should be able to question their organisation"

No problem debating or answering any questions posed by supporetrs towards the Trust, however havibg it on a forum doesny give the opportunity to fully explain or answer supporetrs queries.So in future if supporetrs want to question the Trust simply drop down to our meeting and discuss any issues face to face.
    Kinda strange how the deabate about what the Trust does or doesnt is such a hot topic,I mean I havent heard of any recent fund raisers by other supporeters bodies but am not going to qusetion if they are doing anything that theri perogative so why are so many supporters so quick to question the Trust??

Meeting tomorrow evning in the city hotel 7pm.All welcome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akearins
    So in future if supporetrs want to question the Trust simply drop down to our meeting and discuss any issues face to face.
    Here you are again, dictating what we should and shouldn't discuss on this forum. Sorry mate, but if it's an issue that effects Rovers supporters, there's absolutly no reason why it cant be discussed here.
    Last edited by gustavo; 27/11/2006 at 3:02 PM. Reason: fixing quotes

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

keep goin lads

Real madrid, barcelona, spurs, northampton all great clubs with good supporters trust. The trust concept is frowned upon by people in the fai and at "suit level" at the clubs. The reason for this is that the ethos of trusts is very clear and the constitution of trusts the most democratic process in football. It has a clear mandate and support in the Uk at government level fo very good reason and the reasons are "community and the club" not quick profit for a few fat cats. or in eircom league circles a way to hide cash from the tax man. I would say to the people at the trust keep doin what you do, create links with all the supporters clubs and politicians and integrate into the community. It takes years and dont be discouraged by fall off at meetings etc from time to time, in fact sometimes this can be the most productive time. Begrudgers are always lying in the grass, but if you stick to trust principles it will grow, be real and will sustain over the long term.
    Supporters need to understand that a club belongs to the city/county and its not a plaything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ya but Rovers are a co-op so their will never be anyone trying to take over us for a "quick profit". We are a community club at the AGMs it's one man one vote I think their is a limit on the amount of shares you can buy in the club as well (not sure though) SRFC the peoples club

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alan Kearins

Can you name the 5 members of the Management Committee that are members of the Trust?

Can you tell us how much the Trust gave Sligo Rovers in 2005 and 2006?

In relation to queries about the Trust,you or somebody from the Trust should be prepared to answer any questions about the Trust.There could be people reading this that are thinking about joining and need a few points clarified.There are also people on here that aren't living in Sligo and therefore cant get to your meetings to ask any questions they feel they need answered.We all work long hours and I'm sure it's hard sometimes to log on here and try and defend the Trust.So chin up.

Redzer

Are you a member of the South Sligo Supporters Club?
    If not,would you be able to find out roughly how many members they have and how many are members of the Management Committee?Also,when were they formed?

By any chance,do you know if any of the lads on here are members of the Dublin Supporters Club?

Rogue Trader

Are you a member of the Dublin Supporters Club?
    If possible,could I get a "Yes" or "No" answer please?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    From a complete outsiders point of view with little or no interest in SRFC etc,
    but with an interest in Trusts and Supporters Clubs in general, I find it amusing
    that the people demanding answers on a public forum not associated with the
    Trust are the ones hiding behind internet alias!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast