Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make up of new league announced in The Sun

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Make up of new league announced in The Sun

In The Sun (not sure if it was today or over the weeked) the make up of the league was announced. I'm not sure if it was leaked or if the person who wrote the article was saying what he thought would happen as I didn't actually see the article. All I know is that UCD were down as 13th.

There could be a chance that it could be leaked as Waterford seem to know for 100% that they will be in the Premier next year. Did anybody see the article?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Nothing in today's Sun anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Would't surprise me if, when push came to shove, Delaney tried to ensure his team made the cut (sorry - Waterford, that is, not Man Ure...)

Would UCD look to do an Olly and head for the courts if they didn't get in ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Not sure. On the one hand, if we go down, we'll come straight back up again, winning E50k prize money (more than what we'd get in the Premier) and possibly qualifying for the Setanta. On the other hand, there's no club better connected with the legal profession than ourselves, given that we have former managers and former committee members among others who run their own law firms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    I think somebody may be winding you up as if there was something leaked somebody would have spotted it and there would a new thread
    Yeah, think so alright.

Ridiculous that nobody knows what the hell is going on though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We're not meant to know until early December anyway.
    As far as I'm concerned, the teams that will make up the bottom half of the league are irrelevant. It's the promotion of the new league and how it will be run, which concern me.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, the teams that will make up the bottom half of the league are irrelevant.
    That's why we're wondering about UCD. The league table may have escaped your attention for the last while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    There could be a chance that it could be leaked as Waterford seem to know for 100% that they will be in the Premier next year. Did anybody see the article?

That hasn't been the vibe around the club until now to be fair. And as for preferential treatment from Delaney - we wish! I think if WUFC make it it'll be because of a relatively large catchment area with not much competition.
    Last edited by bigmac; 20/11/2006 at 2:45 PM.
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Based on the FAI's merger document, to me this is how things stand at present in relation to the 50% on the field scoring (500 points). I have assumed Waterford will win the play-off. However, it Dundalk were to win the play-off, Waterford would fall one place to 11 with 340 points and Dundalk would move ahead of Limerick to 15th place to 247 points.

In relation to the Cup Final, if Derry win the Cup and Waterford win the play-off the table remains as below. However, if St. Pat's win the Cup, they would stay in 7th but move up to 420 points and Cork's total would change to 453 as they would fall a place on this season's league table (when Cups, europe, etc. are taken into consideration). Basically, not a lot of change based on the FAI Cup final and the play-offs.

Hopefully the above makes a bit of sense to everyone.

I still think the top 12 as they sit will still be the top 12 after the off-the-field points are added. However Waterford, Sligo & Bray are the clubs most at risk of losing their Premier Division status with Harps and Galway in my opinion the only two first division clubs (in addition to Shamrock Rovers) the only ones likely to have any chance of upsetting the odds and getting a place in the Premier. I think the 9 clubs from UCD upwards are safe enough. It's going to be hard for the likes of Galway or Harps to outscore UCD by 100 points (out of 500 on offer) in the off-the-field criteria.

1. Shelbourne 493
    2. Derry City 460
    3. Cork City 460
    4. Drogheda United 437
    5. Longford Town 430
    6. Bohemains 423
    7. St. Patrick's Athletic 407
    8. Shamrock Rovers 377
    9. UCD 370
    10. Waterford United 347
    11. Sligo Rovers 343
    12. Bray Wanderers 333
    13. Finn Harps 283
    14. Galway United 267
    15. Limerick 243
    16. Dundalk 240
    17. Cobh Ramblers 240
    18. Kildare County 230
    19. Kilkenny City 177
    20. Athlone Town 177
    21. Monaghan United 173

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    1. Shelbourne 493
    2. Derry City 460
    3. Cork City 460
    4. Drogheda United 437
    5. Longford Town 430
    6. Bohemains 423
    8. Shamrock Rovers 377
    9. UCD 370
    10. Waterford United 347
    11. Sligo Rovers 343
    12. Bray Wanderers 333
    13. Finn Harps 283
    14. Galway United 267
    15. Limerick 243
    16. Dundalk 240
    17. Cobh Ramblers 240
    18. Kildare County 230
    19. Kilkenny City 177
    20. Athlone Town 177
    21. Monaghan United 173
    They are not the points that go towards the calculation of the final mark. Points are awarded on a sliding scale to each team. Basically there are 200points for the on-the-field criteria for this season. The team in first place will get 200, second 190, etc, and likewise for every other category in the proposals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They are not the points that go towards the calculation of the final mark. Points are awarded on a sliding scale to each team. Basically there are 200points for the on-the-field criteria for this season. The team in first place will get 200, second 190, etc, and likewise for every other category in the proposals.
    how is the 500mark total arrived at so? is it 200 for this season and 300 for the preceding 4?
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    These are the points (by my calculations) that will go towards the final mark. You are correct in saying that there are 200 points for the on-the-field critera for this season. First place was Derry City who get 200 points (based on their cup, league and european records), shels get 193 points for second and so on. But add Derry's 200 points from this year and their 260 points from their previous 4 year record and you get their total of 460 points. There was a total of 200 points for this season and 300 points for the previous four seasons. Based on the FAI merger document which was on the FAI website up until a few weeks ago, the points on the table on my post above are by my reckoning accurate. These points, along with whatever the IAG score each club out of 500 will be added together and the top 12 scoring clubs will be the ones who should be offered the 12 place in the Premiership next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    just to reall get you all arguing with clubs like Athlone and Harps both doing major ground developments I actually passed Athlones today and well done to all concerned it all looks fantastic why not do what i consider the sensible thing and have a 16 team premier with clubs who fulfill all the licencing criteria taking part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    ...why not do what i consider the sensible thing and have a 16 team premier with clubs who fulfill all the licencing criteria taking part.
    What do you propose we do with the remaining clubs?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Invite new clubs to apply for entry with a stipulation that they are from counties who dont have an el team already and definitely no new clubs from an lar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    definitely no new clubs from an lar.
    No clubs from the town centres? Bit harsh; hardly going to get places with a team playing out in the middle of the country with no-one around for miles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If UCD aren't in the top division next year it would be a disgrace.

One of the main reasons for the FAI taking over is appearantly to ensure that things are run properly. UCD are one of the few clubs that have been run properly over the last few years and haven't run into some kind of financial/administrative problems. If the new criteria for making the top league rule UCD out then I think the system is completely flawed (or even more flawed than most of us originally thought).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    I still think the top 12 as they sit will still be the top 12 after the off-the-field points are added. However Waterford, Sligo & Bray are the clubs most at risk of losing their Premier Division status with Harps and Galway in my opinion the only two first division clubs (in addition to Shamrock Rovers) the only ones likely to have any chance of upsetting the odds and getting a place in the Premier. I think the 9 clubs from UCD upwards are safe enough. It's going to be hard for the likes of Galway or Harps to outscore UCD by 100 points (out of 500 on offer) in the off-the-field criteria.[/QUOTE]

you were making sense until you mentioned harps as a possible contender that is just no possible
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    you were making sense until you mentioned harps as a possible contender that is just no possible
    Under the zany terms of membership it would certainly seem to be possible. I agree that it's hard to leave aside the logical idea that Galway and Dundalk would have a better chance, but Harps will pick up plenty of points for location and new stadium plans. Losing at the weekend could well prove to be more important than the outcome of the upcoming play-offs.

1. Shelbourne 493
    2. Derry City 460
    3. Cork City 460
    4. Drogheda United 437
    5. Longford Town 430
    6. Bohemains 423
    8. Shamrock Rovers 377
    9. UCD 370
    10. Waterford United 347
    11. Sligo Rovers 343
    12. Bray Wanderers 333
    13. Finn Harps 283
    14. Galway United 267
    15. Limerick 243
    16. Dundalk 240
    17. Cobh Ramblers 240
    18. Kildare County 230
    19. Kilkenny City 177
    20. Athlone Town 177
    21. Monaghan United 173
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    Harps sit in 13th place after the 50% based on football are counted up, why wouldn't it make sense for us to be a contender?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast