Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Two injured during Tolka fire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts

Two injured during Tolka fire

breaking.examiner.ie

Two people are believed to have suffered light injuries after a broke out at Tolka Park this afternoon during the FAI cup final between Shamrock Rovers and Derry City.

The fire occurred midway through the first half of the game in front of a section of Shamrock Rovers fans.

A number of fans were taken away to be treated for smoke inhalation, but no severe injuries were reported.

Officials and security staff rushed to the stand that had caught fire and the game resumed play shortly afterwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question accident?

I wonder was it an accident. They said it may have been a cigarette butt but having seen pictures of Rovers fans burning Bohs scarves a few weeks back im not so sure. Is it possible that they were misbehaving and it got a bit out of hand?
    Champions!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The commentary on RTE radio said that people were throwing pieces of burning toilet roll on- then later they just said burning objects. What kind of idiot does that?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    There were piles upon piles of toilet roll and confetti on the side of the pitch and the front gangway of the stand (where I was), I didn't see what the initial spark was but the fire just should have been stamped out by one or all of the stewards instead of just watching it and allowing it to take hold on the floodlight padding. Definitely no burning objests/toilet roll were thrown

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by TommyT
    Definitely no burning objests/toilet roll were thrown
    i´ll take your word for that. only thing is, rte seemed to be fairly adament that something was thrown, they spoke to their pitchside reporter who saidhe´d seen something (or thought he had). Must have been a ciggarette or something at least unless it was spontaneous combustion

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    fai site says it was accidental. few people on the rovers forum saying it was a cigarrette butt belonging to a steward

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rico was on RedFM afterwards and said he saw a flare set it off, though no one else seems to have seen it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    According to the star today security officials think it was a cigarette butt but FAI officials believe that the fire was caused by Shamrock Rovers supporters who were throwing burning toilet rolls on to the pitch.

Personally I dont believe for one minute that Rovers supporters had nothing to do with it.
    Champions!

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I dont believe for one minute that Rovers supporters had nothing to do with it. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree completely, it would be typical Rovers behaviour!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ah sure your always likely to have such an incident in a ground that has floodlight pilons on the pitch anyways. What was with that toxic padding on the pilon as well?

Tolka may have more seats that any other eL ground but thats about all it has going for it. In particular the access points & exits are sadly lacking at tolka.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by pete
    Tolka may have more seats that any other eL ground but thats about all it has going for it. In particular the access points & exits are sadly lacking at tolka.
    Yeah. I´m fed up of people calling tolka the best ground in the country. It has more seats than anywhere else, but aside from that it´s a kip. Put 10,000 seats down in st colmans park or gortakeegan (or whatever it is now) and it´d be as good. Tolka is totally over-rated.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not to mention the fact that the ground is completely lobsided ( different size stand at every side! ). Having that said, Turner's cross is not far behind ( the side opposite the main stand is a bit of a joke but I suppose it does the job, but the Shed End looks ridiculous! ). There's not much chance of changing the shape of either ground as both are right in the middle of their respective city. The likes of Longford and other clubs don't have that problem as they're out in the middle of nowhere.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by Shelsman
    The likes of Longford and other clubs don't have that problem as they're out in the middle of nowhere.
    Well with Longford it's by design..... moved out of the old Town Centre site to a greenfield site so we'd have the room to develop the ground, training facilities etc...... There's no way Tolka would even get a license in the UK due to the lack of exits, yet it's supposedly the best ground in the country!!??!! Potential to be a death trap.....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by Macy
    There's no way Tolka would even get a license in the UK due to the lack of exits, yet it's supposedly the best ground in the country!!??!! Potential to be a death trap.....
    Too few exits at Tolka plus a couple of bottlenecks that wouldn't help much in an emergency.

Then again $hel$ only get reasonable crowds when renting out for other teams or when they playing fictional teams.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by pete
    Then again $hel$ only get reasonable crowds when renting out for other teams or when they playing fictional teams.
    Or when the rest of the league turns up to triple their attendance for a european game and recieve f*ck all thanks for it from ollie byrne