Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Play-offs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Play-offs

Just wondering, why the mad rush to get the play off over and done with. It's very unfair on the Division 1 teams who first of all have a day less to recover, and Waterford can rest half their players anyway tonight. Could it not have been arranged for next friday and then the following week.
    I understand it doesn't guarantee promotion or relegation to the Invitationship, but a good result for either Galway or Dundalk could make a big difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well licenses will be handed out very soon and the league need to make their final decision on who'll be in the Top 12.
    It's been like this ever year and it didn't do much harm to UTD a few years back when we were defeated by Alan Kelly in the playoff final against Drogheda.
    Lets concentrate on getting their....if we do the meaningless playoff will take care of itself.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H View Post
    we were defeated by Alan Kelly in the playoff final against Drogheda.
    will never forget that day. i wonder how much Kelly got in that brown envelope?
    Salthill/Knocknacarra Gaa Official Website- http://www.salthillknocknacarragaa.ie/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    The playoff is a joke. Mickey Mouse match. What will the media call it as it isn't even a Promotion-Relegation Playoff?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    if it's any consolation i don't think he's given a decision our way since

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to agree with what Holidaysong said there, the playoff is indeed a joke,no matter who wins or loses the playoffs its still down to the last 5 years performances on/off field and future too.
    Our own committee will be on local radio this morning on Terrace Talk saying the very same thats its a waste of club expenses but also saying tha they have been given the word that we will be playing Premiere football next year as they meet all the criteria laid down by the IAG.
    Bloody waste for us to be going to Oriel park on tuesday night and for the lads from Dundalk to come down on saturday next also, but hey its the FAI/EL were talking about here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    [QUOTE=Our own committee will be on local radio this morning on Terrace Talk saying the very same thats its a waste of club expenses but also saying tha they have been given the word that we will be playing Premiere football next year as they meet all the criteria laid down by the IAG.[/QUOTE]

If that is true, then Dundalk or Galway havn't a snowballs chance in hell getting into the Premier Div. Double waste of time and money on their behalf.
    Whats the point of playing at all? I cant see any half decent crowds bothering to show.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Will the play off actually count at all at the end of the process? With this new FAI Uberleague being set up if the winners fails the 5 year record test then they are in Division 1 next season more than likely!

p.s. I heard the entire Dundalk Squad have holidays booked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    The playoff will decide who is ranked 12th and 13th in the league this season if I've understood things correctly, with Rovers being ranked 11th.

Waterford may be safe but are Bray and UCD? The extra place could make a difference to Galway or Dundalk.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If finishing 6th in the League can get you relegated then the whole process is going to end up in Court!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Jim O'Neill, a spokesperson for Waterford United was just on WLR FM and stated categorically that according to the Management Committee, the Club scored highly in finance, marketability and infrastructure and therefore will be playing in the new Premier Division next season.

It was also revealed that the plans for the new 1680 seater stand are at an advanced stage.

So there you go folks, who gets the drop? and btw it wont be us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H View Post
    when we were defeated by Alan Kelly in the playoff final against Drogheda.
    He also played a big part in Harps defeat by Derry in the Playoff game in the brandywell (2003 if memory serves)
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    The playoff is a joke. Mickey Mouse match. What will the media call it as it isn't even a Promotion-Relegation Playoff?
    And the first leg on a Tuesday.............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yep , also heard Jim O'Neill on WLR, so it looks as if either Bray or UCD will get the drop and rovers and maybe another 1st division team will come up.
    When the new stand is up on the other side of the ground it will make for right sound effect,maybe they will put the away support over there?

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    If finishing 6th in the League can get you relegated then the whole process is going to end up in Court!
    If the criteria announced is applied properly, which you have to assume it will be, then UCD will have no problem staying up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    Jim O'Neill, a spokesperson for Waterford United was just on WLR FM and stated categorically that according to the Management Committee, the Club scored highly in finance, marketability and infrastructure and therefore will be playing in the new Premier Division next season.
    So basically the FAI have already worked out the criteria and know who is going to be in the league. I wish they would just tell us now rather than making us wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Man View Post
    Yep , also heard Jim O'Neill on WLR, so it looks as if either Bray or UCD will get the drop and rovers and maybe another 1st division team will come up.
    What was he saying exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    So an 11 or 12 team premier?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Schumi

There was supposed to be a 12 team premier in Year 1 of the Uberleague with 3 down and 1 up at the end of 2007 as far as I can recall and a 10 team Premier in 2008 and onwards from that. 4 times playing the same team in the League, does not work, it bored me rigid in 2003!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GalwayFrancis View Post
    will never forget that day. i wonder how much Kelly got in that brown envelope?
    most exciting game of football i have ever witnessed .What a night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I went up to Buckley park last night to see at the time what Galway were like (just in case we did meet them) against Kilkenny City and OMG the scoreline dont tell the true story as to how bad Galway were and worse how really bad Kilkenny were/are.
    They made Galway look good to be honest, i left about 10 mins before full time i got so bored and to be honest if Galway did ever make it up to the Premiere division they would have to do a complete clearout of the team.
    There is a big difference in the 1st division and the premiere teams so for any team to come up they would have to splash the cash !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    I went up to Buckley park last night to see at the time what Galway were like (just in case we did meet them) against Kilkenny City and OMG the scoreline dont tell the true story as to how bad Galway were and worse how really bad Kilkenny were/are.
    They made Galway look good to be honest, i left about 10 mins before full time i got so bored and to be honest if Galway did ever make it up to the Premiere division they would have to do a complete clearout of the team.
    There is a big difference in the 1st division and the premiere teams so for any team to come up they would have to splash the cash !!
    Kilkenny were probably the worst team I've ever seen - we really could have hit double figures. I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that Galway were terrible on a completely one-sided game. Still we're not in the playoff but will hopefully get to meet you next season!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast