Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good win, but poor Irish players were obvious

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Good win, but poor Irish players were obvious

Start with the worst John O'Shea, He was absolutely crap looked like he wouldn't get his game with San Marino.
    Andy Reid couldn't pass, showed why he'd be dropped in favour of Steven Reid.
    Lee Carsley unfortunately got injured and so looked off
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Agree with the O'Shea remark, he'll be on the bench when Carr returns. I disagree about Reid, thought he passed it well. He opened up play at times. We've no one else to do that. I think Doyle was taken off too early. Kilbane should have come off then. Generally ok, we've still a long way to go.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    San Marino - one of worst international sides ever!!

O'shea shocking again.
    3 goals or not Keane was pretty poor.
    Reid had a pretty decent match.
    McGeady did well.
    Douglas was crap.
    Finnan had a good game.
    Kilbane a straight line runner..
    Doyle & Duff pretty good.
    the rest OK..

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    fully agree,

mcshane, had nothing to do, but looked industrious

i'm sure roeder will be happy with the amount of work given had to do

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    O'Shea is shocking, he is useless for us... a big bag of ******

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    was in the south terrace. thought kilbane was muck ... until i saw the highlights ... he'd a pretty decent first half ... and he was just muck for the second half

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why did the clown take Doyle off?

O' Shea was the usual muck, Reid did his best to slow every passage of play down as much as possible.

We are crap

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Crap is being too kind.. we are deplorable, useless, painful etc.... here we were up against the 11th worst team in the world and couldn't string a decent passing move for most of the match and caught in possession too much.

And dont give me this rubbish about the pitch or the weather or them throwing everybody behind the ball....... we were at home .. we're supposed to have the stars ... they're a bunch of school teachers and plumbers... and we were made to look ordinary.

5 goals ... yeah.. one was a penalty.. one was going no where near until it took a wicked deflection and the others me grandfather would have scored and he's been dead twenty years.

Keane was terrible ......... ok he got a hat trick but for the most part was mediocre. Caught offside too often, gave the ball away, out on the wing when he is our centre forward .. what's all that about.

O'Shea........ O'Sh**e more like it

Doyle got his goal but what else did he do

Kilbane looked knackered halfway through the game

Duff blew hot and cold

Doulglas did f...all

Carsely........ was he playing or did Harry Hill turn up instead

Krusty the Klowns substitutions were mind boggling

IT JUST AS WELL IT WAS SAN MARINO OR NOT A REAL FOOTBALL TEAM LIKE CYPRUS OR WALES (!!!) THAT WE PLAYED BECAUSE LET'S FACE ONCE AND FOR ALL - WE WERE SH**E
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Doulglas did f...all
    I thought Douglas played well when he came on.

Credit to Kilbane for setting up 2 goals but he was terrible overrall. I don't know how many times he lost possession.

Finnan was probably my man of of the match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Thought Kilbane was our best player in the first half. He was poor after the break. Not convinced by Reid, too many poor passes. Feel sorry for O’Shea, the more he tries the worse he gets. Duff played a little better. We haven't a hope of qualifying from this competition.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Can't believe someone said McGeady was good. All he did was run up the line and then stop. Where were the balls into the box?

Finnan did what he had to do defensively but he never makes any decent runs forward. He contributes almost nothing to attack.

I'd get too angry if I was to speak about O'Shea.

Kilbane was shocking in the second half.
    Robbie was all over the place but not in a good way.

Doyler was the the best of our forwards. With so many people around him, he struggled for space. Taken off way too early when Kilbane was obviously struggling.

Douglas didn't have much to do but wasn't any worse that Carsley.
    Reid did fairly well and was probably our most creative player.
    The ball he put in for Keane's third was perfect.
    Got a bit lucky with his own goal but when you whip a ball in like that, there's always a chance.

Duff did ok for spells, was good for other spells but lacked motivation the rest of the time.
    The two central defenders did what they had to do.
    Lee looked like he was the business when he came on first and was unlucky not to score but that was just a rush of energy as he did little else.
    Good result, poor performance but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and suggest that motivation was lacking. Wait a minute, weren't we told that de gaffer was brought in for his motivational skills rather than managerial skills??
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Wasnt a great performance by any means but in all honesty dont think we were ever going to get much different. Once we'd scored early the job was done and the best thing out of the night for us was that Cyprus held and by accounts ive heard, should've beaten germany.

For me, its all about the two home games against wales and slovakia now, win those (which we should) and we give ourselves a chance, particularly if the germans beat the czechs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    How can O'Shea continue to get into the team? He must look like Pele in training. What annoys me more so is Finnan was played on the left to accommodate him. Surely if you're going to adopt this approach you would go for Kelly or Carr at right back and leave O'Shea where he belongs on the international breaks. Visiting friends and family in Waterford.

Staunton continues to prove he's a muppet. If you're going to make a point and drop Kenny (which I agree with BTW) then surely O'Shea should be long since given the chop also. Also his substitutions were extrememly negative. Remember Kerr anyone?

God I hate John O'Shea.
    Last edited by youngirish; 16/11/2006 at 8:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    When will stan just have the common sense to drop o'shea? i was at the match last night and myself and my mate were just appaled at how bad a player this guy is. He cant (wont) tackle, certainly cant pass, cant beat a man etc etc. The only thing he did all night was win a header or 2 against lads 4 inches smaller than him.

It would have been better playing stephen kelly there last night. O'shea looks completely disinterested and ultimately lazy as well. He only gets his game for ireland because he still gets the odd game for Man united. I just could not honestly belive how bad he was last night-he is getting worse every game. Im not so sure he would have been on the bench even if carr was fit-staunton probably would have had him in midfield or something

Kilbane put in 2 great crosses (which is more than can be said for duff or mcgeady) which lead to 2 goals although he was absolutely brutal in the second half.

These games wont teach us anything except that John OShea is useless. He cost us 3 points against the czechs with his daydreaming/laziness and ive no doubt he will cost us more if he continues to play.

Nothing against the lad personally (he seems like a very likeable bloke) but jesus I havent been this worked up about an irish player since alan kernaghan-and he'd probably walk into our defence now!!
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Can we get some sort of petition going to oust JOS from the squad and send it to the FAI? I reckon we could easily get a few signatures on it. Say about 3,999,998 (I doubt his parents could be persuaded to sign it though you never know).

PS I've taken the population of Ireland as about 4 mill for the slower amongst you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    Can't believe someone said McGeady was good. All he did was run up the line and then stop. Where were the balls into the box?
    I thought he played well. McGeady is not going to be trying anything special for Ireland until he has the confidence of the crowd as he is a very nervous player. He also doesn't want to look like a gready git and risk losing possession. All he has to do is lose possession once and foot.ie users are on his back so thankfully he didn't do that last night. His cross for McShane was excellent and certainly should have led to a goal. Before Strachan got his hands on him McGeady would have tried to beat all the whole San Marino team but Strachan is sorting his game out and is one of the best managers in the world at getting the best out of players.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 16/11/2006 at 9:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thought Reid did well apart from some dreadful passing in the first half. You can tell his left peg is dangerous when used properly. What really worried me was our inability to shoot from outside the box. Nobody had the confidence to test their keeper and instead just fed in along the flanks.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Given - nothing to do and spent a lot of time almost on the half way line.
    O'Shea - Staunton said in the post match interview he had a good game. He was poor and gave the ball away a lot. However, I don't like the jeering of him that was going on around me. Support your players when on the field. Criticise afterwards.
    Finnan ineffective and should go back to his normal position.
    Dunne/McShane ok but the latter was caught in possession twice and gave away free kicks in dangerous positions.
    Kilbane - good first half. Disasterous second.
    Duff - on the ball a lot and did well.
    Reid - tried a few long cross field passes too many but got on the ball a lot and tried to be constructive.
    Carlsley - disappointing even before he took the knock.
    Keane - scored 3 goals. What more do you want from a striker? To suggest Doyle was better is a blinkered view.
    Doyle - ok and took his goal nicely.

I thought we'd win by 4 and we won by 5 so reasonably content.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    O'Shea - Staunton said in the post match interview he had a good game. He was poor and gave the ball away a lot. However, I don't like the jeering of him that was going on around me. Support your players when on the field. Criticise afterwards.
    Yeah, I couldn't believe he was booed. Also, one of the biggest cheers of the night came when he ballooned a shot over the bar. He could obviously sense how the crowd feel about him. He's not playing badly on purpose.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He's not playing badly on purpose.
    you're right ...he's playing bad because he's sh**e
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast