Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Season's Top Flight

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Next Season's Top Flight

Any word when the verdicts on the presentations are out on who will be in the top division next season. People can probably guess 9/10 of the 12 but when will we have official word, fixtures etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ...........plus an appeal procedure time - actual line up will not be confirned to a week before the season kicks off

I sh.t u not!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would think at this stage looking at the table it would be very hard to justify relegating UCD over Bray. At the minute they are 6th and even if St Pats overtake them, 7th is a respectable finish. Bray should be fighting for a play off place in a normal year. UCD might play boring football at times but the players they bring through mean they should be in the top flight as no one should be able to use lack of fans as a basis for going down and they will have a new ground next year so keep UCD up.. even though they ground out two 0-0 draws with us this year.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    If the criteria is applied correctly I can't see how UCD would be relegated. The only category we fall down on is attendences, and that only makes up less than 10% of the overall marks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie View Post
    Dec 8th I believe.
    with the exception of dundalk i agree with the above. id assume waterford and bray are safe and a straight battle between ucd and galway.
    I know you have a dislike for us but apart from that what are the reasons Dundalk shouldnt go up?

Rovers on the field have been good but they have no ground and therefore no catchment area. I thought these were big parts of the new look league?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    In response to the actual question, I think the 8th (or the 18th) of December have been mentioned as the announcement date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    your 5 year record is not top 12, you have been in the first the whole time.

you never finished in the top 2 since you have been relegated
    Yes true, our five year record is very poor. We may struggle on this one

you are heavily in debt
    No we are not. We are not in dept never mind heavily in dept. We are under new ownership and being run like a business. We are living well within our means.

your stadium is not up to standard.
    Why what is the standard? We have a 1500 seater stand and terracing along the far side of the ground which will be turned into a stand in the future. We have two bars both of which have recently been done up. We have knocked down the old toilets for the terraces and are currently building new ones. We are building new dressing rooms in the close season.

you dont appear to have any strategy to increase your support base.
    We have one of the best support bases in the whole league. Games are being advertised better and we have become more of a community based club. Schools and a number of clubs are now playing football up in oriel park. The Dundalk FC trust have also raised a lot of money for local charities thus improving Dundalk FC's name in greater Dundalk.

you are the second side in Louth which may be a factor
    Not a chance Louth is one of the most populated counties in Ireland. Most people north of Drogheda would support Dundalk. Drogheda fans come from the town itself and Meath

we play in tolka park which is an all seater stadium. derry, shels, cork, waterford and galway dont own their own stadia either.
    All those clubs apart from rovers have long term leases on their grounds. If no Eircom league team wanted to let Rovers ground share next season you would be rightly fúcked

we have a training ground and underage pitches in tallaght where we have dozens if youth sides, a lwinster senior league, womens side and a basketball team. the only rovers side not playing in tallaght at the moment is the el one.
    We also have a number of underage clubs and a womans club. All clubs in the league have to its part of the licence laws.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Blues are guarenteed top flight footie next year, heard it on friday night at our end of season get together down town .

Looks like its Bray or UCD to take the drop. Rovers to come up!
    Last edited by Mental Man; 12/11/2006 at 5:46 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I have said it plenty of times before, but I think the 11 teams in the Premier at present will still be there next year and will be joined by Shamrock Rovers. Can't see any of the other First Division teams getting in.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    greater Dundalk.
    Wow! What happened in the six weeks since I was last up there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    I have said it plenty of times before, but I think the 11 teams in the Premier at present will still be there next year and will be joined by Shamrock Rovers. Can't see any of the other First Division teams getting in.
    I think you're right.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Not a chance Louth is one of the most populated counties in Ireland. Most people north of Drogheda would support Dundalk. Drogheda fans come from the town itself and Meath
    Sorry to burst your bubble but all of Louth from Annagsson down is Drog territory - I live in Dunleer and its Drogs all the way there with flags hanging out of houses, jerseys worn every where, poster sin shops and pubs - everyone talks about the Drogs (ther eis one scumbag who wears a Duns jersey but I think he is just lost). In Castlebellingham I see Drog jerseys everyday - not one Dundalk jersey. Dundalk supoport IMO is north of Castlebellingham and North of Dundalk. South of that is 100% ours. Add into the equation the town itself, Balbriggan and Navan and you will see that we are indeed the Pride of the North East.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    From the figures I was given. Dundalk were no higher than 15th on the pitch. They won't make that up elsewhere. Bray were 12th, Harps 13th and Galway 14th
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know you have a dislike for us but apart from that what are the reasons Dundalk shouldnt go up?
    Dundalk fans (and Galway) should realise this is nothing personal, however when you READ THE CRITERIA for scoring for the new Premier, you can see that already decided positions from the 4 year record leave Dundalk trailing the likes of Bray (by 80 points), UCD (by 90pts) Waterford (by 100pts). Add the fact htat even if Dundalk win the First Division there there is very little scope for making up that many points on Bray for example in the other categories.

This is the reason many people believe Dundalk have no chance of competing in the new Premier and that if they do get up it will highlight that the scoring system actually WAS a farce and that the UCD fans were not being the paranoid conspiracy theorists we thought they were.

The same argument applies to Galway although the margins are slightly lower.

So its nothing to do with people opinions, or all the fine things about your club which you list, if down to people looking at the cold hard facts and figures. So no need for any fan of any club to take it so personally when people point this out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well if the FAI follow it to the absoloutle specifications in the Criteria Shels won't get a license.We all know that won't happen.
    There's too many people on the board with different opinions.For example i found out the last day the playoff is worth up to 20 points.......not the 1-15 that was mentioned.Some Harps lads especially think they have it all sussed out.Yee're not far off but yee certainly don't know what the FAI will do.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    In Castlebellingham I see Drog jerseys everyday - not one Dundalk jersey. Dundalk supoport IMO is north of Castlebellingham and North of Dundalk. South of that is 100% ours.
    Pure rubbish. There is no way Castlebellingham has more Drawda fans than Dundalk fans. Ardee is also a Dundalk supporting town though it is south of Castlebellingham. I know quite a few Dundalk fans from Ardee and I have never heard of anyone from the place supporting Drawda. Dunleer and south of it is your territory. We have two very different fanbases. Any overlap on them is quite minimal. I can't see the fact that you (currently) play in Louth being a factor in how our fanbase potential is judged for next season.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Yee're not far off but yee certainly don't know what the FAI will do.
    I think you could very well be right Conor. I think there's a very real chance that when it comes to it the FAI may ignore their own criteria.

I've said all along that the process needs to be transparent and open but with Delaney in charge does anyone expect that?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that what this debate proves more than anything else is that the sooner the league goes back to deciding who plays where based on results on the pitch, and nothing else, the better

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I think that what this debate proves more than anything else is that the sooner the league goes back to deciding who plays where based on results on the pitch, and nothing else, the better
    I agree with that to a large extent, but there should also be a line in the sand regarding standards to play in the premier division or indeed the league.

i.e. if licensing was done right we'd be grand.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The ideal scenario is that UCD get demoted and Waterford stay up. Then the UCD lads go ape and take the FAI to court. Delaney gets found out and is sacked.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast