45 Posts

Foot.ie! Limerick FC may be taken over by Polish investors

Big big news, buy a paper today 14/10/06

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Don't tell me Kate Moss and Pete Doherty split up?

Nah, come on man, spill the beans. Good news I hope.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gael353 View Post
    Big big news, buy a paper today 14/10/06
    i looked everywhere but nobody had last months paper

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Limerick FC may be taken over by Polish investors

Jaysus, what's with the big secret?

According to the Irish Times today (I'll post the full article later) Limerick FC may be taken over by a consortium of Polish investors. This is according to DD who will meet again tomorrow night in Limerick. (Maybe someone could stakeout DD?) There are 10 polish businessmen involved - one of whom has an interest in a Polish first division club.

According to Drew "it could mean that LFC will lose its name and its colours but these people are very serious about becoming involved in the eL". He said that he wants to see Limerick remain in the eL and if that means a change of name and colours so be it as long as senior soccer survives in the city.

The article also says last week it was revealed that another business man wants to help develop Hogan park but he won't come on board unless the club are allowed to buy the ground or are granted a long-term lease. DD reiterated his intention to fold the club on December 1st unless the lease is sorted. "A prominent business man wants to become fully involved and he wants to install a full management team and full-time playing staff. And now we have a Polish consortium interested".

"It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    That sounds promising. Looks like the Dublin Cosmos' investors have jumped ship!

Is there much of a Polish community in Limerick (beyond the national norm, I mean?)
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While I can see the potential for a football club to serve the interests of Ireland's polish community this sounds like upping the ante to put pressure on Joe. If the Poles know the current state of affairs and are willing to invest then why wait for Joe?

As for the second business man, a full-time set up? Again it is a coincidence that both appear as demand for a new lease intensifies. Without doubt we need Joe to give us a lease - my preference is still for the lease to go to the FAI - and I am sceptical of these reports. But if they have their desired effect then great.

C'mon Legia Limerick!
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    That sounds promising. Looks like the Dublin Cosmos' investors have jumped ship!

Is there much of a Polish community in Limerick (beyond the national norm, I mean?)
    There is a sizeable community but I don't think it is significantly different to the national norm. As we know ourselves from our own emigration experience, emigrants will cling closely and be very loyal to any sporting or cultural links to home.
    Last edited by LFC in Exile; 14/11/2006 at 6:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile View Post
    While I can see the potential for a football club to serve the interests of Ireland's polish community this sounds like upping the ante to put pressure on Joe. If the Poles know the current state of affairs and are willing to invest then why wait for Joe?

As for the second business man, a full-time set up? Again it is a coincidence that both appear as demand for a new lease intensifies. Without doubt we need Joe to give us a lease - my preference is still for the lease to go to the FAI - and I am sceptical of these reports. But if they have their desired effect then great.

C'mon Legia Limerick!
    I'd have to share your scepticism, again we're relying on the word of Danny Drew speaking through the press. You could pretty much take everything he has told journalists at this stage, post it up here and it would speak for itself. Lets not forget the five year plan, the chelsea of the eircom league rubbish, Brian Kerr or Jason McAteer as our new manager etc etc.
    If it is indeed true it could prove interesting, however with Drew providing the facts on this i'd recommend a barrell of salt.
    Limerick 3:7
    "Marvel not that I said unto thee, ye must be born again"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    what does he expect the polish to do,theres already aload of guys up there gettin paid for standing around doing nothing..............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by see's it View Post
    what does he expect the polish to do,theres already aload of guys up there gettin paid for standing around doing nothing..............
    Huh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From the Irish Times 14/11/06

Handed noticed that the byline was Bernard O'Neill

Limerick FC may be taken over by Poles
    Bernard O'Neill

Limerick FC could be set to become Polski FC. Club chairman Danny Drew revealed yesterday he had been approached by a Polish business consortium at the weekend and they want to take over the club. Both parties will meet again in Limerick tomorrow night.

Drew declined to identify the people concerned, but said the consortium have made a serious approach and they want to become involved in the National League. It is understood the consortium consists of at least 10 Polish business men, one of whom has an interest in a Polish first division club.

According to Drew, the consortium have their homework done and he reckons that with the Polish population in Ireland now at over 130,000 their plan makes perfect sense.

"I met with a group of Polish business men on Sunday and they put forward a very serious business plan to take over the club," Drew said. "It could mean that Limerick FC will lose its name and its colours which is a shame, but these people are very serious about becoming involved in the Eircom League.

"From my own perspective, I just want to see Limerick remain in the Eircom League and if that means a change of name and colours so be it as long as senior soccer survives in this city.

"They fully understand the position we have been left in because of the lease issue at our ground and I am meeting them again for further negotiations.
    "Their plan makes perfect sense because there is a large Polish population in Ireland and straight away they would have a fan base who will immediately identify with the club."

Limerick FC have two years left on an agreement with tenants Hill Celtic to play at Hogan Park. Last week it was revealed that another business man wants to help develop Hogan Park, but he won't come on board unless the club are allowed buy the ground, or are granted a long-term lease at the venue.

The club's future is under threat and Drew has set a December 1st deadline to fold the club.

"Unless we are granted a lease in our name or are allowed buy the ground then we will have no other choice but to fold as we cannot continue as a club like this because it is untenable," Drew said.

"A prominent Limerick business man wants to become involved and he wants to install a full management team and full-time playing staff. And now we have a Polish consortium who are interested.

"As said, my priority is to ensure that senior soccer survives in this city and if someone puts a serious offer on the table I will listen to it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dictionary Definition of Danny Drew: Combination of Billy Liar, Walter Mitty and Daft Dave...

This guys a pillock, and he thinks we're going to buy it. There probably is no Polish consortium, and I'll lay odds that there certainly isn't going to be a local businessman involved.

It's all lies in my book, just like everything else he's told us for the past 2 1/2 years. The fact is that the priest absolutely detests Drew, and if anyone else were in charge, then the lease wouldn't be an issue.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile View Post
    Huh?
    im an over worked Dell employee,do you get it now?
    i think thats my taxi.......................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinBallWizard View Post
    Dictionary Definition of Danny Drew: Combination of Billy Liar, Walter Mitty and Daft Dave...

It's all lies in my book, just like everything else he's told us for the past 2 1/2 years. The fact is that the priest absolutely detests Drew, and if anyone else were in charge, then the lease wouldn't be an issue.
    Talking out your ar$e in a way I find insulting to the people on this boards intelligence..

Yes the preist was always very helpful before Drew came along

You either are the priest, in which case go crawl into a hole somewhere please or alternatively you are a moron in which case get a clue

Either way I politely suggest you shut up talking nonsense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Reads like a netfull of water to me.

That any "consortium of business men" be they from Poland or Pluto would go so far as to change the teams name and colours -yet not be so bothered about about getting the fcuk out of Rathbane forever strikes me as ...improbable.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There's about 4,000 Poles in Limerick. Nearly 5% of the population.

Come on Polonia Limerick!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    There's about 4,000 Poles in Limerick. Nearly 5% of the population.

Come on Polonia Limerick!
    I for one welcome our new Polish overlords, as long as some kind of identity is maintained I'd have no problem supporting them

And besides if we don't like how things are going a few months down the line we can just invade the club. It's not like they'll put up much of a fight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Talking out your ar$e in a way I find insulting to the people on this boards intelligence..:
    And you are the pillar of the sense-talking community on this forum are you?? I find most of your moronic ramblings on here quite irritating but I don't go personally insuting you, so I'd like it if you could try to be so kind as to return the compliment.

Yes the preist was always very helpful before Drew came along
    I never ever said that he was. He is a selfish, bitter man. However, if you haven't already noticed, he holds the key to the clubs future and Drew hasn't endeared himself to him like maybe he should have considering the position the club finds itself in.

You either are the priest, in which case go crawl into a hole somewhere please or alternatively you are a moron in which case get a clue
    Obviously your inability to argue points constructively leads you to attacking posters in this way, so I'll ignore this.

Either way I politely suggest you shut up talking nonsense
    Classy....very intelligent way to end a post. Well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinBallWizard View Post
    , and if anyone else were in charge, then the lease wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Obviously you have problems understanding English.

I am saying that if Danny Drew weren't in charge of Limerick FC, then I believe that the lease of the ground would be much easier to negotiate with the priest. The priest despises Drew-this is a fact. If others were in charge, with a more sensible attitude, this problem would not exist.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast