Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAI CEO extends contract to 2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post FAI CEO extends contract to 2012

FAI CEO extends contract to 2012

The Football Association of Ireland has announced that its Chief Executive Officer, John Delaney, has extended his contract through to 2012.

Mr. Delaney was appointed to the position on an acting basis in December 2004 and took up the post on a full time basis in March 2005. His original contract has now been extended by the Board of Management to commit the Chief Executive Officer to the association until the end of 2012. FAI President, Mr. David Blood, said he was delighted, on behalf of the Board, to secure Mr. Delaney’s services for the next six years. “The progress made by the Association under John’s executive leadership has been very significant and the Board is delighted to have committed John until 2012,” said Mr Blood. “We have made great strides across all sectors of the game and overall our sport, the largest in the country, is in very good shape. We have lots more to do and, with John’s period of leadership now set for six more years, we can continue our developments with great certainty."

Highlighting what he regarded as Mr. Delaney’s key achievements to date, Mr. Blood said: “We have managed to pursue our strategic objectives in key areas such as the Lansdowne Road Stadium development, the progression of the National Academy at Abbotstown and the merger of the eircom League while also advancing successfully the development of the game through the successful implementation of the Technical Development Plan and the strengthening of the game at grass roots. “While advancing all these projects, the current business and financial management of the Association has never been stronger. “John, backed up by the Board and Council, has led a very strong executive team with unbelievable energy and great vision and we are looking forward to the further successful development of our sport and the Association over the next six years.”

Taken from www.fai.ie
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no mention of the great success in appointing Staunton?? no? oh well
    Finn Harps Belfast Supporters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    God help us...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    You just ruined a very enjoyable Saturday evening, by imparting that information.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well Done John, fair play to ya, always there for the Blues when its needed .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Ahh .... the Blues are part of the eircom League .... the same league which they failed to recognise they (the FAI) are affiliated with in every single press release they have given since the merge.

2012 ...... We are fooked lads !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Is this the former East German Football association or the FAI? 2012. THe Ceo position should be 2 year max based on performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Disgrace. There is no basis on earth for awarding a contract of that length. Where is John O'Donoghue now ? John Delaney is a baaastard. Jesus, I really dispise him. He has all his cronies in place and has effectively given himself this nice fat contract. Christ, I have a feeling he's going to make Fidel Castro look like some fly by night, here today, gone tomorrow, type.

Totally agree with Noelys guitar btw, the CEO should be a fixed term contract to prevent this kind of messing.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    6 year contract, bloody hell. Not bad for somebody who started out as an interim CEO.

What a shambles. How do you go about overthrowing a football association?

We have made great strides across all sectors of the game and overall our sport, the largest in the country, is in very good shape.
    Sounds like Donald Rumsfeld describing the situation in Iraq.
    Last edited by brine3; 12/11/2006 at 9:07 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    6 year contract, bloody hell. Not bad for somebody who started out as an interim CEO.
    And who didn't want the job in the first place, but had to be talked into it by his work colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by brine
    What a shambles. How do you go about overthrowing a football association?
    I don't know. I really don't know. On the one hand, there's been rumblings recently, so I don't think he'll last the six years. On the other hand, he effectively controls those who could vote him out of a job. And the best case scenario now for Irish football is another massive pay off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that's reasonable, surely no-one could have any problems with this decision...

Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Highlighting what he regarded as Mr. Delaney’s key achievements to date, Mr. Blood said: “We have managed to pursue our strategic objectives in key areas such as the Lansdowne Road Stadium development, the progression of the National Academy at Abbotstown and the merger of the eircom League
    OK, Mr. David Blood, you do realise that none of these things has actually happened yet On past experience, there is a genuine possiblity that all three of these initiatives may turn out to be spectacular failures. So rewarding these "achievements" with a SIX-year contract extension could be seen as being just a tad premature.

Of course, I doubt if even Delaney sees himself still in the job by 2012 - this is just a neat deal among the boys in Merrion Square to secure the largest possible compensation payout to Delaney when he does go.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    Of course, I doubt if even Delaney sees himself still in the job by 2012 - this is just a neat deal among the boys in Merrion Square to secure the largest possible compensation payout to Delaney when he does go.
    Very strange ok when the FAI has a history of paying off its incumbent CEOs.
    Could end up using all the Umbro money to this end in a few years time. Way too long a contract it would appear.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    What are the standard term of contracts?
    Seems like a deal to have ensure a pay out if anything goes wrong.
    6 year deal in an association where nobody lasts long ever...
    what the hell where they thinking?
    Throwing money away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    what the hell where they thinking?
    Throwing money away.
    It's outrageous! He's essentially made it too expensive for the FAI to get rid of him. This is beyond belief!
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I hope it gives some people an insight in to how this organisation goes about their business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I for one believe he's good money spent at twice the price. Congrats John....

...you c*** s******, toe t***ing A******!
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Now you vote me in and I'll vote you in. Pay rises all round. Circular slaps on the back. Now lets head straight to the bar to celebrate! We mugs are paying for all this by the way.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Now you vote me in and I'll vote you in. Pay rises all round. Circular slaps on the back. Now lets head straight to the bar to celebrate! We mugs are paying for all this by the way.

You a shareholder in Umbro ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    [QUOTE=OwlsFan;573696]You a shareholder in Umbro ?[/QUOTE
    No. But gate receipts from fans like me (and I presume you too Owlsfan) kept the FAI afloat through the lean times. And now in a different financial climate they can make agreements with Umbro. But 6 year contracts should negate most of the Umbro investment wouldn't you think?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If Steve Staunton warrants a 4 year contract then surely John D deserves 6 years?

Haven't you seen all the private sector companies queueing up to snatch Delaney away from Merrion Square? By these standards the FAI seems like great place to work.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast