Thread: Listed Sporting Events

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Listed Sporting Events

Lads,
    The government have done it again!! What a cynical bunch of muppets they are. God only knows how Bertie shanghied his way back into office this year! "The public finances are alright" he said, but look at what's happened since (even upto yesterday with the IFI). Now because of this, the government could lose Nice which would be a major setback for Europe. Having a referendum didn't work, so we'll have a second one!! Now it looks like that's not gonna work, so what do we do???? "Lets capitalise on the anit-FAI feeling about the EC and WC home qualifiers, by bringing out a list of "listed events", and lets include the Irish qualifiers for the WC and EC's on it!! That'll show the people that we're looking out for them and will get us the needed votes on Saturday."

"Oh, yah, but we'd better wait til Tuesday to publish it so that it will be too late to sort it, and we can say something like "It's regrettable that it's too late to do anything about the Switzerland game tomorrow night, but hopefully we'll have somerthing in place for the next game" ". WHAT A LOAD OF ********!! Bertie is grabbing Nice votes by promising to try to do something about the EC qualifier, so Nice will get passed, and then, after they fail to get the matches shown on national television <we all know the government can't do anything about the Sky contract> , they'll come out with "Well we tried, but legally our hands are tied. But you know we would do something if we could" <after the government has everything it needs>

What a shower of ******s
    Last edited by Jack_2001; 16/10/2002 at 12:44 PM.
    Jack

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Angry Anti irish football bias!

IMO this FF/PD government has been anti-irish football from the start.

[begin rant]

Its ok to give the GAA 100 million (fair play to them if they can get it) but they unwilling to give a similar amount towards Eircom Park which would certainly have made it a lot more financially viable. Instead FF undermine the FAI & bribe them with Bertie Bowl which won't be built now & IMO never looked like would be built as costs too much - Some 200-250 million already wasted on without 1 brick laid.

If you look at the listed events you'll see:
    - 2 GAA games listed
    - No IRFU games listed.
    - All FAI home & away senior competitive internationals.

Is the Ireland V Albania football game anymore important than say the Munster Hurling Final?

Does they government have anything to say about RTEs "fair" 1.6m bid to the FAI compared with the 3m bid to the IRFU (what the government themselves admit are) less nationally important games?

Listened to local talk radio show in Dublin last night & Minister Ahern said players like Steve Staunton (from his area) were produced without "FAI development schemes" - the implication was they not needed.

The Minister said the government had undertaken this cos 99.9% of the public wanted it (who doesn't want freebies?) & they are there to "represent the public". No mention unsurprisingly that this may be a cheap stunt by a government that can't pay for any budget giveaways this year so "gives so free football". Is not RTE just cheaper pay tv that you have no choice to pay for? The only tv thats free in Ireland is tv3

[rant over]
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It´s no surprise that something thought up/coming from this government stinks. They are the most corrupt, jobs for the boys, cowboy political operation this country has seen in quite a while. People can rant all they want about Haughey being corrupt, but everyone knew (even if no-one said it) that he was getting backhanders left right and centre. Bertie makes the situation all the more repugnant by pretending he´s a man of the people, one of us- even Haughey didn´t have such breathtaking audacity. the only reason this embarassment to humanity is still leading our country is that the opposition are so inept as to be laughable, and no-one can stomach the thought of voting for them. Voting for Ahern and his shower is tantamount to treason in my book- he is flushing this country down the jacks and he has to be stopped, if that takes messing up the "EU" for a bit TOUGH!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    The thing I still don't know about this is whether, if Bertie and his shower of corrupt ****s get this through the court callanges and everything else, the FAI will get the €7.5m that the games are worth and if so from whom?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    S**t, where am I? Oh sorry, is this foot.ie? I certainly THOUGHT it was supposed to be a forum for the discussion of matters relating to soccer not a bitch at Bertie, bitch at FF political website. If what's written in here is anything to go by, then the list is a f***in sham. Imagine not listing ANY rugger matches. My beloved Munster will be hijacked by $ky. Soccer could have beenalot more comprehensive also.

Murphy Out Now!!!
    Bertie Out Now!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by Shed End John
    I certainly THOUGHT it was supposed to be a forum for the discussion of matters relating to soccer not a bitch at Bertie, bitch at FF political website.
    I'm not sure if you agreeing or not but i meerly stated the facts above - I wouldn't blame Bertie particularily for the tv listings as is a government decision but IMHO he & he alone drove the BB project to the detrement of EP [somethings a re hard toi let go ]

btw if anyone wants to dispute the facts they welcome to have ago...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    S**t, where am I? Oh sorry, is this foot.ie? I certainly THOUGHT it was supposed to be a forum for the discussion of matters relating to soccer not a bitch at Bertie, bitch at FF political website.
    Did we touch on a raw nerve there or what?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pete

I'm not sure if you agreeing or not but i meerly stated the facts above
    I'm agreeing. Some of what's on the list (the S***list, anyone?) versus some of what's not on it just defies all known belief and logic.

Murphy Out Now!!!
    McCarthy Out Now!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna

Did we touch on a raw nerve there or what?
    Make your own mind up about that.
    1. I am not and NEVER will be an FF voter.
    2. I was just stating that discussions on this board should relate to soccer rather than politics.
    3. Unlike Bertie first time round, I'm willing to accept that Nice passed with flying colours in a democratic decision , and I won't be calling for a decider. (There goes that hypocritic streak again, see 2.).

Murphy Out Now!!!
    McCarthy Out Now!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    3. Unlike Bertie first time round, I'm willing to accept that Nice passed with flying colours in a democratic decision , and I won't be calling for a decider. (There goes that hypocritic streak again, see 2.).