Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: League Farce

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H View Post
    However we have our house in order and for me it would be harrowing to have to visit the listed clubs again next year.I'm sure ye all agree there.(
    This is what annoys me most about this 50/50 on-off the field criteria. Why should Galway be in the Premier next season. You won't win the First Division. You are also highly unlikely to finish second. Any other season (bar this one) it would mean another season in the First Division.

To me, if Shamrock Rovers win the First Division (which looks likely) they deserve to be in the Premier next season. If Dundalk beat the 11th team in the play-offs, they should be the only other First Division team considered for the Premier. My own club is likely to finish sixth, do you think we deserve to be in the Premier next year - no.

Remember, if the league positions finish as they are at present, Finn Harps will be ranked higher than Galway on the on the pitch criteria. Harps will be ranked 13th out the 21 teams while Galway will be ranked 14th of the 21 teams.

Finally, next season it is back to simple promotion and relegation. A season like you had this season will not be good enough to see Galway in the Premier in 2008.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well in a normal year 3rd wouldn't be good enough no but we all know that this year is divided 50/50.
    How do you know we won't be able to stay in the league?Oh no wait you don't.Sligo we're a very average team last year and look at them now.Seems to be Harps fans are more concerned about us getting into the league than themselves.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Well in a normal year 3rd wouldn't be good enough no but we all know that this year is divided 50/50.
    How do you know we won't be able to stay in the league?Oh no wait you don't.Sligo we're a very average team last year and look at them now.Seems to be Harps fans are more concerned about us getting into the league than themselves.
    Where did I mention anything about you not been able to stay in the League?

What I said was that why do you think you deserve to be in the Premier? Why do Galway fans feel that they should be in the Premier ahead of the likes of Shamrock Rovers, Bray Wanderers, Waterford United, UCD, etc.

And if you only finish in 3rd position this season and Harps finish where they are at present (can't finish lower than sixth or higher than 5th), we will still be ranked higher on the pitch than you will be (over the past four seasons and this season). You will be ranked 14th, so you will have to outscore at least two teams in the off-the-field criteria to have any hope of being in the Premier next season. If you want my views now, I think the 12 teams in the Premier will be the 11 that are currently there along with Shamrock Rovers.

I know Galway have sorted out things behind the scenes and are a well run club. But they aren't the only ones. If you had won the First Division this season, you would have had a good chance of being in the Premier. But finishing third - sorry, can't see you been invited to the new Premier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Neither can I tbh.I think we need to come 2nd too and i think we will.I don't think Dubdalk will beat yee up there so it's all to play for if we win our last 2 matches.I still think we'd be a better acquisition then Waterford and Bray....if we come 2nd we'll be there.3rd and i doubt it.

Europe's Big Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i thought at that be the 12th man meeting we were told that there is no promotion til 2008 with just 1 team getting relegated from the top tier each year until they have just 10 teams
    Homer: I'm gonna make sure these deliveries are made on time.
    Bart: Let me come with you
    Homer: Dont you have school!
    Bart: Dont you have work!
    Homer: Ah Touche!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    There is promotion and relegation next year. At the end of the 2007 season, the First Division champions will be relegated and the 12th team in the Premier relegated. Also, a team can also be promoted/relegated via the play-offs. At the end of the 2008 season, the First Division Champions will be promoted and the bottom three will be relegated from the Premier. That will leave 10 teams in the Premier for the 2009 season and 12 in the First. Then it's a case of 1 up 1 down from 2009 onwards and also the possibility of another 1 up 1 down through the play-offs.

I don't know why people haven't picked this up at this stage. It has been up on the FAI website for the past five/six months and all the clubs voted for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    any chance ya can put the link to where it says that on the FAI site up here cos i cant find it on the site

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    They seem to have taken the link off the site right enough.

It's here though.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've not seen Galway play this year so this comment is uninformed but my big worry about a team finishing 3rd in the First and coming up is that your team is not up to staying in the premier. You'll have to sign a lot of new players to compete which probably means expensive out-of-town people.
    Basically my point is that you'll have to spend big to compete of you come up next year and it could end up an expensive gamble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    I've not seen Galway play this year so this comment is uninformed but my big worry about a team finishing 3rd in the First and coming up is that your team is not up to staying in the premier. You'll have to sign a lot of new players to compete which probably means expensive out-of-town people.
    Basically my point is that you'll have to spend big to compete of you come up next year and it could end up an expensive gamble.

Getting up I think will be the hard part and staying up should be easy enough as one or two premier divison clubs are a joke (thats just my opion)

The club has outlined a budget for Premier Division soccer and Tony Cousins has 7 to 8 players ready to sign if we get promoted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    nice one galway harps. helps clear it up a small bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    Over 10 games up until the last complete round of league matches United have 25 out of a possible 30 points, Rovers have the same amount. Dundalk have 20 points out of a possible thirty.
    United strenghtened their squad considerably during the transfer window and are a much improved outfit compared with the start of the season, where the league was lost.The club have prepared for promotion and are under no illusions as to the cost of putting a out competitive side in the Premier division.
    As supporters we are aware that if we do get up we need to add to our squad , but as a club and as a squad Galway United are probably better prepared for life in the premier division than Rovers, Dundalk , Waterford, Bray and UCD.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

super blues

Neither can I tbh.I think we need to come 2nd too and i think we will.I don't think Dubdalk will beat yee up there so it's all to play for if we win our last 2 matches.I still think we'd be a better acquisition then Waterford and Bray....if we come 2nd we'll be there.3rd and i doubt it.
    Conor H your in dreamland park if you think gufc will come 2nd it will be rovers dundalk then galway.you should research your own clubs history before you start slagging off other clubs its not to long ago when gufc were in trouble hopfully we see you lot in hogan park next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc hammer View Post
    Conor H your in dreamland park if you think gufc will come 2nd it will be rovers dundalk then galway.you should research your own clubs history before you start slagging off other clubs its not to long ago when gufc were in trouble hopfully we see you lot in hogan park next season.
    Dreamland?
    It's quite feasible that we come 2nd considering we're 2 points off 2nd with 1 game to go.Fc hammer before you come in here going on about our history you should really know that you're mixing me up with somebody who gives a sh!te about Limerick FC.Sorry to dissapoint ya but i'm one "yupee" who couldn't care less about the plight of Limerick FC.

Europe's Big Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Dreamland?
    It's quite feasible that we come 2nd considering we're 2 points off 2nd with 1 game to go.Fc hammer before you come in here going on about our history you should really know that you're mixing me up with somebody who gives a sh!te about Limerick FC.Sorry to dissapoint ya but i'm one "yupee" who couldn't care less about the plight of Limerick FC.
    good man CH.as your buddies are say'n your not a fan long enough to know about you' own clubs history, i suggest you research it before you slag off other clubs. you have a very short memory,.and as i said i would'nt be to confident of not playing in houan park next season...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good man CH.as your buddies are say'n your not a fan long enough to know about you' own clubs history, i suggest you research it before you slag off other clubs. you have a very short memory,.and as i said i would'nt be to confident of not playing in houan park next season...
    I wouldn't be too confident that yee'll even be playing there next year FC hammer.

Europe's Big Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

super blues

I wouldn't be too confident that yee'll even be playing there next year FC hammer.
    we'll be there alright i would'nt be to worried about that!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    we'll be there alright i would'nt be to worried about that!!
    Oh trust me i'm the furthest thing from worried about Limerick.

For genuine Lims fans i'd hope yee are still around but that doesn't hide my feelings in general about Limerick.

Europe's Big Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

super blues

Oh trust me i'm the furthest thing from worried about Limerick.

For genuine Lims fans i'd hope yee are still around but that doesn't hide my feelings in general about Limerick.
    did you have a bad experiance in limerick or what??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    did you have a bad experiance in limerick or what??
    I did actually.I'm not going to go into it again as i have done already but yes i did.I'm sorry but i hate the place.

Europe's Big Club.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast