Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: League Farce

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor H View Post
    Sure when you have joke's of clubs like Limerick,Kilkenny and Kildare in the league it's not going to get better either.The FAI must implement what they've said they will before it's too late.

In what way?
    Last edited by steno; 08/11/2006 at 5:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well IMO Kildare are an example of how it can quite simply go wrong!
    Despite showing potential early on Kildare are a club going nowhere fast.With low attendances averaging 100-150 an average squad,average manager,poor enough infastructure etc i can't see kildare going anywhere.
    Yee probably would have got more support if yee entered the league as Newbridge Town but that's neither here nor there.
    Kildare wouldn't ba able to sustain themselves in the premier league.An all seater stand of what 100?There are quite a few reasons why i feel Kildare like many others in this league are a waste of time.No offence meant i quite enjoy my trips to Station Road.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    762 Posts
    Agree with ULTRA.
    There's no point having a well run club if nobody bcomes to support the bloody team!
    I'm sure the Limerick fans will agree.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    station road is definitely one of the best trips but as a club kildare are a bit of a joke. i know we drew with them last week but we played terrible and still should have won 3-1.

I do think that Limerick can still have a good future if they get this situation sorted out with there lease, I know Drew said he's gonna walk away in december if he doesn't get the lease but i dont thnik Limerick will go defunct. they have potential to be a great club, whereas i dont think kildare or kilkenny do.

On the whole i think whoever gets into this new league are gonna pull greatly ahead of the first division clubs. the difference will be massive and with there being no promotion for the next 3 years i think whoever doesn't get promoted are gonna find it really hard to stay afloat
    Homer: I'm gonna make sure these deliveries are made on time.
    Bart: Let me come with you
    Homer: Dont you have school!
    Bart: Dont you have work!
    Homer: Ah Touche!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I cant believe our own supporters are talking like this when only a few years ago we were in a position of going under ourselves. We have now turned things around and are getting stronger each year both on and off the pitch. It clubs like kilkenny, kildare and limerick that we should be shouting support towards and not shouting for them to go out of existance/ or for them to leave the league. If this league is to succeed we need teams from ever corner of the country. When kilkenny did make it into the premier division a good few years ago there support was much the same as any others, so this shows that it is there if they can get things moving on the pitch. Lads, answer me this, if we were in there shoes this year do you think that we would be getting more than 100 through the gates? very unlikely !

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well IMO Kildare are an example of how it can quite simply go wrong!
    Despite showing potential early on Kildare are a club going nowhere fast.With low attendances averaging 100-150 an average squad,average manager,poor enough infastructure etc i can't see kildare going anywhere.
    Yee probably would have got more support if yee entered the league as Newbridge Town but that's neither here nor there.
    Kildare wouldn't ba able to sustain themselves in the premier league.An all seater stand of what 100?There are quite a few reasons why i feel Kildare like many others in this league are a waste of time.No offence meant i quite enjoy my trips to Station Road.
    250 seats first of all and our average attendances aren't great agree with you there and the club have had two very poor seasons.

But even so last season the club turned over 44,000 and we have stopped trying to buy sucess and adjusted accordingly. There is more to running a club than gate receipts as I'm sure you know Conor H. The club gets a decent sum in sponsorship and runs quiet a sucessfull draw in conjunction with other clubs based in and outside Kildare for 5 months.
    http://www.kildarecountyfc.com/Every1AWinner/index.asp

As for sustaining ourselves in the premier league, If the club can manage success I'm sure the crowds will come back as has been seen at Sligo Rovers and yourselves at Galway.
    We are also only an hour from Dublin and all four clubs in Dublin appear destined for the premier division as maybe do yourselves. The Dublin clubs do have a good following as Shamrock Rovers have shown when they have come here.

Plans are also in line to build a new stand opposite the current one its just a matter of getting money through grants. I think the planning permission is there but not sure.

Terry wrote
    I cant believe our own supporters are talking like this when only a few years ago we were in a position of going under ourselves. We have now turned things around and are getting stronger each year both on and off the pitch. It clubs like kilkenny, kildare and limerick that we should be shouting support towards and not shouting for them to go out of existance/ or for them to leave the league. If this league is to succeed we need teams from ever corner of the country. When kilkenny did make it into the premier division a good few years ago there support was much the same as any others, so this shows that it is there if they can get things moving on the pitch. Lads, answer me this, if we were in there shoes this year do you think that we would be getting more than 100 through the gates? very unlikely !
    Thank you Terry very good points and was exactly what I was getting to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Well said Terry

Some of ye have real short memories in Galway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Im afraid conor you have a lot to learn about Eircom League Football.We are doing ok but only ok we dont own our own ground we dont have any assets bar the players and were it not for the dedicated voluntary people involved in keeping ther wolf from the door and keeping the club alive we would and nearly did go out of existence 3 times in the last 10 years.

The league needs clubs who try to live within their means and refuse to pay grossly inflated wages based on a dream of success which many of the bigger clubs Bohs & Shels being the 2 main culprits in the last 5 yrs without any sustainable revenue source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Top post, Terry.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well said Terry......The voice of reason. In Conor H's defence he's not been around that long to know how close we've been to being defunct over the past ten years.
    "Are those my feet" Fr Jack Hackett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough let the clubs prosper over the next 3 years in the 1st Division.
    However we have our house in order and for me it would be harrowing to have to visit the listed clubs again next year.I'm sure ye all agree there.
    I compared them to the likes of us Rovers,Bohs,Derry,Sligo etc.To me they're futile in tha regard but i do acknowledge that it's vital we keep as many teams in LOI for it to grow and expand.
    Our time is nigh-we're ready and if we're stuck in this league again next year well then......

Europe's Big Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tir Oilean View Post
    Well said Terry......The voice of reason. In Conor H's defence he's not been around that long to know how close we've been to being defunct over the past ten years.

I've a vague recolection of the bad times but in one way the good times.The atmosphere back then was brillaint especially when it was all terrace!

Europe's Big Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Our time is nigh-we're ready and if we're stuck in this league again next year well then......
    Well then we'll be worse off than Kilkenny as we'd not own a ground would have **** poor attendances all season and probably end up stuck in the rut that is the bottom division!
    "Are those my feet" Fr Jack Hackett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    even a couple of years back when we had crap attendances i still thought we were a better club than kilkenny. every club that is in the league deserves there place there but i cannot see kildare or kilkenny winning anything anytime soon
    Homer: I'm gonna make sure these deliveries are made on time.
    Bart: Let me come with you
    Homer: Dont you have school!
    Bart: Dont you have work!
    Homer: Ah Touche!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    We haven't won anything in almost ten years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    But we're a massive club so that's irrelevant PD.

Europe's Big Club.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUISAUltra View Post
    the difference will be massive and with there being no promotion for the next 3 years i think whoever doesn't get promoted are gonna find it really hard to stay afloat
    Promotion/relegation will continue the way it was in previous years next season.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

anyone

who thinks gufc are the perfect club needs to think twice there is a long long way to go. all credit to the people who are running it now they have vision and foresight and work progressively and its unreal compared to the past. still even those we might look back on and point fingers at in relation to bad management in the past always done their best and gave it everything they had. some of us come and go over the periods but a league club is never far away from tough times and i dont think we can judge others too much.
    i know how i will feel if we dont get back up but as ever we will struggle on in hope and not give up. and even lend a hand to other clubs in bad situations from time to time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    We won best pitch in the Eircom League

That didn't get us into Europe though

And the GUFC chip van got the runner-up award. Monaghan United won it for their famous Mon Dog

Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Its a great comfort to us to have won the best food award since we win so little.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast