Thread: Tony McDonnell interview

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

Tony McDonnell interview

Here is a link to the questions thread.

Yes, it's back! The answers to the questions posed some weeks back follow for your perusal. Try and spot the guest UCD players asking their own captain questions, by the way!! I gave Tony people's internet names and clubs to put some reference on to everything, so that's the way it's come back and that's the way I've copied it below.

Enjoy!

Monzo
    How’s it going Tony. What's been the highlight of your career so far on the playing front?

Howaya Monzo. There have been a few highs I suppose. My full league debut will always be special for me. Any Myler made his debut the same day down in Strokestown Road against Longford in the first division. At the time it was a barren pitch with the current ticket stand being the dressing rooms in those days. We won 2-1 with Andy bagging the winner from my cross. I guess since then being selected for the U-21 squad on a couple of occasions was a real honour. I was the only home based player selected at that time so it made it all the more special. Most recently, being shortlisted for the player of the year award last season was an honour I honestly never expected but greatly appreciated.

Who is the toughest midfield opponent you've faced?

In midfield I would say the pairing of Kevin Hunt with Stephen Caffrey in Bohs championship winning side a few years back was as tough as I’ve played against. Both were well able to control the pace of the game and make penetrating runs from deep. Playing centre back I would have to say Liam Coyle. The man could conjure a goal from nothing and regularly broke UCD hearts with last minute wonder goals.

A face
    What is your opinion on the 65% wage cap that clubs will have to contend with from here on in for our league?

I believe it is the clear responsibility on clubs to accurately build a sound financial plan. Clubs cannot continue to agree contracts based on hopes of how the season will unfold. All too often reality bites and it is the player who is potentially left without an income because the club realises it cannot afford to honour the contract. Our league cannot move forward with situations like these reoccurring. However I would consider the best way to do this is to sanction the club (perhaps through a ban on transfer dealings etc) rather than a wage cap. If the sanctions are administered effectively it will serve as a deterrent to clubs to repeat the offence and we’ll end up with the same outcome – sound financial planning.

With a lot of clubs moving towards full-time status, this obviously has noticeable difference on players and changes the game to a degree. What in your opinion are the biggest obstacles facing players and the PFAI during this transition?

For the players the challenge is to ensure they look at the bigger picture. A footballer’s career is a short one and in this country in particular players need to ensure that the contract they sign makes financial sense in the long term. They also need to consider what they will do when their careers end, given that they will likely enter an occupation and find themselves playing catch up. The PFAI has launched a number of initiatives to help better prepare today’s full time players for life beyond playing.

The PFAI’s biggest challenge is to ensure the workplace for footballers is like any other. The league now has more full time players than at any other time and is becoming an ever growing industry. Like all other industries, some employers will pay more than others, but every employee should be entitled to decent working conditions, paid holiday leave etc. This is a basic requirement of a full time employee and, to be fair, there are enormous strides being made on a number of fronts to ensure this is the case.

What do think of players’ advisors/agents?

I think there is a role for them in the game as long as they have the players’ interests at heart. There are many in the game who come from a highly regulated profession (solicitors etc) and who perform their role in relative anonymity. It’s the countless others who come into the game to make a quick buck off of a big money move that destroy the reputations of agents. I would also question the role of agents where there is a clear conflict on interest. Tighter regulations are the key. The PFAI are happy to represent any players in contract negotiations.

What do think of the Irish players’ advisors/agents?

No different to the opinion above. Some players are not skilled in negotiating their own contracts so I do believe there is a role for them but with the above caveats.

Sniffer
    During the recent wage crisis at Shelbourne, we heard very little from the PFAI. Did you have any involvement in the situation?

Yes the PFAI were actively involved (i.e. on a daily basis) and are still closely monitoring the situation.

Roverstillidie
    As a follow on from Sniffer’s question, should we read anything into the fact the PFAI were very vocal during Rovers’ difficulties last year? Why the different approach?

I don’t think so Roverstillidie. The Rovers situation was different in that the cash flow issue was only part of the problem. Players were being treated very poorly and in some cases were being completely mistreated. On top of this, the club had reneged on a number of agreements over a six month period. I think that’s why there was more noise at the time.

Sligoman
    Do you think the FAI taking control of the league will be a good thing for Irish football?

Yes, I honestly do. We need to move away from a situation whereby there is a disconnect between all levels of football in this country and this move can only strengthen that position. Furthermore, the league seems to bounce from one controversy to another which really affects the public perception of the product. This year is no different with the title race looking like it will be decided in the courts rather than on the pitch. The league has to accept responsibility for that and I would hope that next year sees a move away from that type of controversy and sees some clear rules with decisive implementation of same. Hopefully the change will bring much needed stability to the league.

What do you think of the standard of refereeing in this league?

Loaded question!! I’ve been on the end of a few shockers in my time so I’m not going to tell you that they are all wonderful. My biggest criticism is the inconsistency that we see from one game to the next. I firmly believe that experience has a lot to do with that. Retirement age for referees is quite young in my opinion (in line with UEFA regulations) and I do think that some have been forced to hang up their boots too soon. I would also question the allocation process – Alan Kelly is regarded as the best in the game yet I don’t remember having him referee too many UCD games either this season or last. Coincidence? That said, the standard is improving and referees today are much more fitness orientated in order to cope with the quicker pace of the game. There are a number of referees whom you always look out for and hope that they are selected for your games but I won’t embarrass them by naming them. I will say that the vast majority of referees appreciate the passion involved and allow for a bit of heated banter to a contested decision. This all too often amounts to a yellow/red card across the water so it’s a credit to our refs that they engage with players rather than adapting the principal/pupil approach.

Pineapple Stu
    How come you never went across to England?

Because I only ever got one serious offer and even that was not enough to convince me that they were treating it seriously.

What offers (if any) did you get from cross channel?

I was approached by a scout from Bolton when I was in the U-21’s with an offer to go pro. The terms were weak and I was completing my finals for a degree at the time. It was a tough decision but I decided that I would be better off making a go of it in the league here while at the same time starting out with a career outside of football. To be honest, it’s a decision I’ve not once regretted.

Do you really get paid that much in banking that it's not worth turning pro?

Yes. ;-)

Pete
    Is it true that the PFAI requested that all players contracts are paid after tax (i.e. If player earns €1000 per week the club pays the PAYE on top if this)? Do you think this contributes to the recent tax problems at clubs?

Not sure where you’re coming from with that one Pete. Any employer has a responsibility to pay tax on behalf of its employee at the appropriate rate depending on the salary. Clubs are not exempt from this requirement. If you’re referring to whether the PFAI requested clubs to pay the players tax responsibility also, then no that’s not true. All that the PFAI have ever requested is that clubs provide players with a pay slip, clearly showing the deducted tax amount and any other adjustments. All players should be requesting and receiving P60s annually. Maybe this has contributed to tax problems at clubs but is it really such a bad thing that the onus is now on all clubs to have their financial affairs in order? After all, this is supposedly a requirement for a UEFA license that all clubs need to have in order to participate in our domestic league……
    Last edited by A face; 20/12/2006 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Poor Student
    How difficult do you think it will be to combine your full time job, being a player (not to mention club captain) and being PFAI chairman?

I don’t think it will be difficult at all. I’ve managed work commitments all my life so don’t know any better and don’t see that interfering with my club commitments. The manager and lads are quick to get me in the fine book if I’m a second late for training, so that’s my only grievance! My priority is playing for the club and had I have thought the PFAI position would jeopardise my performances, I wouldn’t have taken the job. As to the captaincy, that’s an honour that I’m proud of but have no doubt that the manager would be the first to tell me if I was slacking on the pitch – and that’s the way it should be.

During one injury laden season you assisted coaching the UCD reserve team. Do you see yourself getting into coaching after you finish playing?

You must be referring to the time I carried the water bottles for the U-21’s for half a season about seven years ago?! In fairness, I only did it to continue to be involved in any way at all. Anyone who has been out for a long time with injury will tell you that the worst thing is being out in the cold, and not feeling part of things.
    I reckon I will give management a go some day but it won’t be for a while yet. I haven’t started my coaching badges and that will take time in itself.

Do you intend to see out your career at UCD and for how long more do you envisage playing?

I don’t think I have the right to say I’ll see out my career at UCD, no matter how long I’ve been at the club. Like every other player I will sit down with the management at the end of season and take it from there. My affection for the club is hardly the best kept secret so I think it’s a safe bet to say that I’ll be there next season as long as I’m wanted. That said, I’m only 30 and while I recognise I can’t go on forever, I do think I’ve a few years left yet !!

Do you regret having not played elsewhere for the prime of your career and perhaps won a trophy?

I don’t regret not having moved, as you have to weigh up important at the time. I received an interesting offer a couple of years back when we were relegated but to be honest, I couldn’t bring myself to seriously consider the proposal – we never even got to discuss financial terms. Captaining a side that is relegated has to be one of the lowest points in my career and I wanted to put that right the following season. Not winning the first division title still pi$$es me off every time I think about it.

I do regret not winning one of the tree big domestic trophies on offer. Our best chances have come in the cups and while two league cup final defeats have been difficult to take, it’s our failure to get past the quarters of the FAI cup on a couple of occasions where I felt we should have, that rankles the most.

Bald Student
    Does anyone in the UCD midfield wear fake tan and/or sailor suits?

Yes, Gary Dicker. On both counts.

Finnpark
    Is there really a need for the PFAI since the eircom league is not professional?

Anyone who accepts a salary for playing ball is a professional – and as such they sign professional contracts. The vast majority of players in the league are now professional with a large number being full time. The need for an association such as the PFAI is greater than ever.

How long have you been professional yourself?

Just approaching the end of my 14th season as a professional.

Peadar
    With the FAI to take control of the league next season and further implementation of the Genesis Report, what new challenges do you see for the PFAI going forward?
    I think the challenges will remain the same as ever (providing educational assistance, coaching course, dispute resolution etc) but the PFAI’s role will be increasingly tailored to meet the demands of the full time player. Getting a Standard Players Contract implemented is critical and if we can achieve this for next season, we really believe that many of the issues experienced by players will be eradicated.

WWS
    The revenue needed to sustain clubs is clearly not being generated via the turnstiles in terms of customers wanting to pay to see Irish players in Ireland. Do you not believe that the PFAI and its members are contributing to the woeful economics of the league by allowing a situation to develop where Irish pros and semi pros are paid inflated amounts that bear no connection to their revenue generating capacity on the pitch? Is their no responsibility for the PFAI in this situation?

Simple mathematics defies the logic of the budgets built by some of the clubs in the league. However where I disagree is where the responsibility lies. The PFAI doesn’t drive up the price for its members. Likewise, surely you can’t condemn a guy who chooses one club over another because they offer him a higher salary? That’s the way of the world. However what can be condemned is the inability of clubs to honour contracts entered into only a matter of months earlier, simply because results have not gone according to plan. The solution has got to be tighter regulation on the budgetary process including a close examination of projected income based on historic cash flows. I think you’ll find that this would level the playing field for a number of clubs and help avoid situations where budgets are built on good intentions and optimism alone.

BohsPartisan
    Have you ever had to deal directly with Ollie Byrne? How disagreeable was he?

No, not personally. Sounds like you have though?! From what I hear he is a very well informed and strongly opinionated guy. In fairness to him, I don’t think his he ever has anything but the interests of Shelbourne at heart and you can’t slate him for that.

Poor Student
    What do you make of UCD's move from Belfield Park to the Belfield Bowl? Do you think the Bowl will be significantly improved or will it be improved to just scrape minimum requirements?

It’ll be a sad day leaving Belfield Park purely for the memories and what it represents. However it was always the Doc’s dream to move to a purpose built stadium and the Bowl is the nearest thing we have to that. The dressing room area is fantastic and would be the best in the league, however there would need to be many improvements to the common areas for supporters whilst I would have concerns about the quality of the pitch what with it being shared with the rugby team. If we can overcome those problems I do think it has the potential to be a top stadium. Being situated so close to the bar might even help attract support!

Ilovejam
    Why do you always shake your head and why are you always angry?? Don’t you think sexy football should be played with a smile?!

I play better when I’m angry so like to get agitated regularly – I find shaking my head helps. You try smiling with Quigo in nets behind you ;-)

Why do you run like you’re towing a caravan??

I’m usually just dizzy from shaking my head constantly…..

If/WHEN you become new manager of UCD, will you be making many personnel changes?

Yeah, I’ll sell Quigley, McNally and Paul Byrne for their part in .fixing the player of the year contest on Foot.

Sligoman
    Which name did you prefer better, UCD or UCDD?

Just as confused as you are Sligoman. I guarantee you some punter us sitting in the college is delighted with himself for thinking of that….
    Last edited by A face; 20/12/2006 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Bambi
    For the last number of years, you have been the main playing figure in UCD. Who do you think are the unsung heroes in your team/previous teams?

There’s only one and it’s got to be Alan McNally. What a player. How he’s not playing in Italy now I’ll never know.

Sligoman
    What is yer favourite, all time, EL XI?

Tough one to answer. I could probably pick about 7 teams but here’s my attempt based on the time I’ve been playing:
    GK: Barry Ryan
    Defenders: Pascal Vaudeqan, Peter Hutton, Johnny McDonnell, Jonathan Minnock
    Midfield: Pat Fenlon, Paul Doolin, Kevin Hunt, Mark Rutherford
    Front men: Liam Coyle and Derek Swan

Coislaoi
    Who is the best player currently playing in the EL?

Most talented player is Paddy McCourt but I would say Joseph Ndo is the best player on current form.

What is your favourite away ground?

Turners Cross (and no, I’m not blowing smoke up your a$$!!) because we always seem to play well and get a good result there and there’s always a decent crowd.

Who is/was your most difficult opponent?

Currently I would say Joe Gamble & Barry Molloy in midfield. Up front, Glen Crowe and Gary Beckett.

Who were the best team to visit Belfield this season?

To be honest, no team has stood head and shoulders above anyone else. Cork and Shels had a lot of possession against us but didn’t create too much by way of chances. However Shels did make us chase the ball a fair bit when we went 2 down so I guess it would be them.

Do you think Bohs "new money" will enable them to dominate the league in years to come?

My guess is no. I don’t know the details of the deal but would be surprised if a large chunk if cash is given to any new manager to spend on players.

How do you react to criticism that UCD don't deserve a place in the Premier Division due to lack of fanbase etc?

With venom. And in my opinion, there is no “etc”. Our lack of numbers is in the stands is well documented but we are actively trying to tackle that. It will take time to see the benefits however as there is no quick fix. That is the only semi negative. Lets talk about the positives: best training facilities in the league; our own ground and a move to a new one which won’t put the club into debt; a talent pool of players that is second to none and is reflected in the number of very decent players currently plying their trade elsewhere in the league; competitive teams that consistently try to play attractive football; a management team that is building for long term success; and finally a board that have never once jeopardised the clubs future by creating a budget on the back of a fag pack. I’ll step down off of me soap box now!

Pineapple stu
    Are the PFAI concerned that some of its members may have to take pay cuts from Premier Division wages to First Division wages (or alternatively be denied the rise from First Division and Premier Division wages) because their club hasn't been deemed big enough to be in the Premier despite earning its place on the pitch?

Still a bit of a hypothetical question as none of us know what will be the make up of the Premier next year. We would have concerns if clubs cannot honour contracts due to decisions made off of the field.

Sheridan
    With short-term contracts, wage deferrals, cashflow problems, high player turnover etc rife amongst eL clubs, professional football has never been a particularly stable career path in this country. But does the PFAI have a position on the practice (especially conspicuous at some Dublin clubs this season) of young, inexperienced players being hired and discarded in short order?

Given that such players are unlikely (due to their aforementioned youth and inexperience, as well their desperation to find a contract) to possess the means or acumen necessary their resist their exploitation, can the PFAI provide them with assistance and advice in this regard, or intervene through its representative at the club in question?

Yes, absolutely. The PFAI are happy to represent players in any negotiations with clubs and one of the unions’ main responsibilities is protect its most vulnerable members. With young players this might mean accompanying them in meetings with the club over the contract on offer or simply providing guidance on what to look out for. Generally a player has to be a paid up member of the association to avail of this, but given many of these players are coming from schoolboy, junior or amateur status we would encourage them to contact the PFAI for assistance in the first instance. The key is for the player to avoid signing a contract until they talk to the PFAI. They may be under pressure from clubs to sign but I would hope that they day of clubs seeing the PFAI as an unnecessary hindrance is becoming a thing of the past.

Does the PFAI maintain a register of unattached and transfer listed players for circulation among (or consultation on behalf of) interested clubs? I ask because many players seem to drop off the face of the footballing earth once released from their contracts.

The PFAI maintain a list of unattached members each year but this is largely dependent on the members themselves advising the PFAI of their availability. It also doesn’t capture those players who are non members. It’s a good point and is a gap that we will look to close.

Without naming names, have you ever been involved in a League of Ireland match which gave you reason to suspect that match officials, opponents or team-mates were attempting to influence the result for illicit (i.e. corrupt) purposes, or heard of such a thing occurring in Irish football?

No, never. I’d like to think the people involved in the game here are above reproach in that regard.

Galway Harps
    Do you feel that the PFAI was premature to condemn '50% wage cuts' at Finn Harps without first speaking to the club? Surely this was anything but professional?

As I understand it, the club announced the wage cuts without first approaching the players. It was this act that the PFAI condemned, not the wage cut in itself per say.

Student Mullet
    Do you expect players with contracts which extend into next season to be affected by the 65% wage cap? Do you foresee a drop in players’ wages next season?

No, I would expect all current contracts to be fulfilled over what will be a transition period. There may well be a drop in total wages paid at some clubs as the clubs begin to cut their cloth to suit, but would think that the long term viability of those clubs is of greater concern to our members.

Aberdonian Stu
    Are you bitter that you've always been the bridesmaid and never the bride when it comes to winning the UCD Supporters' player of the Year award?

F***** sure I am!!! Especially when it has been rumoured that some lads have their ma’s and sisters logging on to vote. In fairness, you’d think I’d win it once in 14 years…. Or maybe the lad who says I can’t head a ball is right ;-)

Do you follow the food and entertainment advice dished out by the UCD match programme's Sunday Morning Special column?

Absolutely. Every footballer should swear by it…..

Demoshield
    A player sacked for disciplinary reasons by one club is allowed to sign and play for a new club the following week, while a player who leaves with the consent of his club, or who is not attached to any club is forced to wait until the next transfer window. So this scenario could possibly arise…. A player playing for Club A, is made a better offer by Club B. Starts missing training/games for his Club A,eventually forcing Club A to sack him. He is then free to play for Club B the following week.
    What are the views of the PFAI?

The rules are clear in that a player's contract must be terminated by the club in order for him to move on in this period. In your example above I would imagine Club A would impose sanctions such as suspension of pay etc prior to sacking the player. If the player is hell bent on moving and consistently attracts club fines through poor behaviour (i.e. is willing to forgo more than a few weeks wages in order to move) then I would really question the logic in Club B wanting to sign him knowing full well that he may well employ the same methods when he decides its time to move on to Club C.
    Last edited by A face; 20/12/2006 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    A face
    What are your dealings with the FAI? On what level and how often, etc.
    Are they good to deal with? How could it be improved?

I know that Fran Gavin (General Secretary) now has a very good working relationship with his counterparts at the FAI and in return the FAI are now mindful of the role played by the PFAI in the league. I think it’s fair to say that that working relationship was not always there historically. I expect that this relationship will strengthen over time and certainly the PFAI would not be as optimistic as we are about the leagues future under the FAI’s stewardship if we had any reservations in that regard.

Schumi
    Do you think a full-time professional league is viable in Ireland?

I think it’s only a matter of time before the Premier division becomes full-time. The product is clearly improving each year and the success of our full time clubs in year is testament to that. The success of the non Dublin clubs is key in the leagues attempts to grab the attention of the nation and in that respect the rise to prominence of Cork and Derry has been wonderful for the league. There is no doubt that the marketability of the league has not been fully exploited and I’m sure this is something the FAI will look closely at. If that can be achieved I think a full time set-up will be closer to becoming a reality.

Bambi
    Of the goals you have scored, what is your favourite?

It has to be the header V Shamrock Rovers last game of the 2000/2001 season to win the game 2-1. It wasn’t the prettiest but saw us through to the play-offs when we looked dead and buried a few weeks before that.

Best match played in?

Very difficult one to answer as I’ve enjoyed more than a few. I guess one that I enjoyed more than most was my first match back in the same season as above after been missing for the guts of 10 months with a toe injury that required a three ops and a metal bar. We drew 2-2 with Rovers in Nov 2000 and I scored both goals, gave away a penno and hit the bar. For those of you who wonder why me passes go astray, I never got that metal bar out….. ;-)

Biggest inspiration?

In life I would say my father, without a doubt. The man is a living example of the spirit with which you should face any challenge that’s thrown at you.

In football it has to be the late Doc O’Neill. He was an absolute visionary and his training techniques of 10 years ago are now being rolled out in some quarters as “new age thinking”.

Do you think UCD could win the league in the next 10 years?

Yes, but had you have asked me that in 96 I would have said the same thing! We need to hold onto our best young players and sign three or four players who are having experienced winning a major honour elsewhere. We lack that bit of belief at the moment and you only get it with the experience of winning something. The way the league is going now, I think only full time clubs would win it, so that would need to be a prerequisite. Even at that, Drogheda are a case in point that the transition takes time and that you need to have a 3-5 year plan. There are a lot of ‘ifs’ in that answer but I don’t think it’s the stretch that some might believe.

Sligoman
    Another question for Tony, do you think UCDD will still be IN the league in the next 10 years?

Yeah, we’ll be 4 years into our 5 year full time plan and challenging for the title ;-)

Bluemovie (Waterford)
    What do you think could be done to attract a larger support for UCD?

I think you have to build links with the community for sustained support. We need to get kids hooked on going to the games even if it’s at the expense of any revenue stream for the short term. At the same time we should be targeting businesses in the greater south Dublin area to partner with them in some way. I don’t accept the general apathy that exists with students in the college towards the team – we simply haven’t cracked that nut yet and maybe we need to change the approach. It’s a two way thing and maybe as players we are not as generous with our time as we need to be. If students, businesses, schools, local teams etc were exposed to the players more maybe there would be greater affinity to the team. I know the Board have invested time, energy and expense into many of these ideas and are currently working on a number of initiatives. Time will tell how successful we are.

Does the lack of interest among most UCD students irritate you?

Yeah, and I don’t understand it really. Half of them don’t know where Belfield Park actually is. Strange.

Where's good for a pint round your way?

I’m fond of an occasional tipple in The Ivy House in Drumcondra.

John83
    How did you get along with Paul Doolin?

We started badly and I suppose ended badly but the bit in the middle it was pretty good! Paul stripped me of the captaincy and dropped me in his first season as manager so it’s fair to say that we weren’t exactly seeing eye to eye at that time. His second was a success and I played my part, also winning the captaincy back in the process. The last season was a difficult one and we lost 8 or 9 games on the bounce. It was a depressing time to be at the club and ended in Paul taking the Drogheda job. That said, I learned a lot from him and his approach to training in particular is something that has really helped my game.

As a player in the LoI, you must have played with or against a lot of players who were capable of much more than they achieved. Who of these do you think was the most gifted player not to fulfil their potential, and why do you think it was?

Two really stand out – Mick O’Bynre and Tony Sheridan. Looking back at some of the things Mick could do with the ball, I’m only really beginning to appreciate how good a player he actually was. Mick decided to stay with the club at a time when perhaps he could have gone elsewhere and realised his potential. To do so he would have had to go abroad – this was a time when the league was nowhere near as strong as it is now. A bad knee injury soon followed and Mick never really hit the same levels again, although he was still a damn good player.
    Tony Sheridan is another guy who had it all. I don’t know Tony so not sure why things didn’t work out as they could have for him.

How's that hamstring?

Tighter than a camels a$$ in a sand storm. They say all the lightening quick players have trouble with them……so no idea why I do!

BohsPartisan
    Do you think UCD should go for a name change and try and market themselves to the local community who in that general area have had no local side since Shamrock Rovers left Milltown?

I think you could be on to something in terms of filling the gap Rovers left. I’m not sure a name change would be the best way to go about it as losing the connection to the college is a non runner really, however the local community is definitely one of the ways forward.

Aberdonian Stu
    Do you wish you could still play Colours games so you could kick some Trinity ass?

Not really, no. ;-)
    Last edited by A face; 20/12/2006 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    DmanDmythDledge
    What's your best memory as a UCD player?

My debut, winning the play-off v Athlone on penno’s and winning promotion a couple of years ago at the first time of trying and with a new team (although bitter sweet in that not actually winning the league ranks as one of my biggest disappointments!).

What has been your main decision in staying at UCD for your whole career, and do you have any regrets that you never tried your luck in England?

No regrets with the England shout. I think the league here is ever improving and the international honours received by home based players at all levels reflect that. Players should think very carefully about making the move cross channel nowadays and the contract offer should be right – as opposed to the short term trials offered by some clubs. UCD plucked me from schoolboy football and gave me my chance in the league while also helping me obtain a decent degree. In this time I’ve managed to get local and international recognition and that is predominantly down to my team mates and manager(s). On top of that, the club treated me exceptionally well during the time I had a long term injury. As a result, I always felt a close loyalty to the club and the people who had previously helped me in my career. On the football front I have been quoted a number of times as saying we were always only a few players short of being a top side. Sometimes I wonder what might have been had others decided to stay a little longer at the club.

Do you have any ambitions to go into management, and if yes with UCD, and if yes again would you give me a job on the coaching staff?

I think it is a challenge that I’d love to try at some stage, but I’m still enjoying playing too much to consider it in the near future. I don’t think rookie managers get the pick and choose their clubs but it would be nice to someday manage UCD, yes. Ah yeah, sure why not….

If you were Pete Mahon would you have done anything differently?

I think Pete and Eddie Wallace have done a fantastic job on a number of different fronts in the club – the coaching staff, training sessions, recovery programme and recruitment programme are all at the very least comparable to what many of the top full time sides in the country can offer. On top of that I like to they have us playing some decent football. So the answer would have to be no.

Who has been your most difficult opponent to play against?

Liam Coyle.

Who has been the best player you have played with?

I’d have to give the nod to Ciaran Kavanagh for his outstanding & remarkably consistent contribution to the team over a decade.

Who in the current UCD team do you feel can make the most out of their potential?

I would class Mick O’Byrne as the most gifted footballer I have played with. There are two or three lads on the current team that have his ability and, in my opinion, will go on to achieve great things in the game. I won’t name them as you end up putting unnecessary pressure on players – plus I couldn’t listen to them harping on in training about it!! In terms of the more experienced players, I think Alan McNally is one that is making the most of his potential. In my opinion, there are not too many centre backs in the league that have his all rounded ability.

Were you a supporter of the Eircom League before your playing career began, and if yes who?

My Dad hailed from Ringsend and was a massive Rovers fan in the Milltown era so I went to see them play a few times.

Will you continue to go to UCD games even after you leave the club some day?

Yes, for sure.

What sort of captain would you describe yourself as?- more like Roy Keane or David Beckham?

If I answer yes to either I’ll sound like a w**ker!! I suppose I am a captain who tries to bring out the best in his team mates by challenging them to do better. That’s often confused with being a moaney ****** but that’s not the case!;-) I’m a captain who believes that if you have the right approach and attitude to any game, you have the ability to overcome a technically stronger or more experienced opponent/team.

Is Paul Doolin also a w@nker in real life?

As opposed to the fantasy life of the Eircom league?! No, he’s not actually. He’s a guy who is passionate about the game and his beliefs and is single minded in his approach.

Dubman
    Do you think Ireland can have a fully pro set up? (With profits!) If so, what set up do you feel would work?

Yes and, in my opinion, we could do worse than look at increasing the numbers in the Premier Division to involve more provincial clubs in order to have a truly national league.
    Last edited by A face; 20/12/2006 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Thumbs up

Good read. Fair play to Tony and organisers of the Q & A session
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Thumbs up

That took a while to read! Excellent read, Tony. Fair play for taking the time to write some proper answers with a few laughs in there.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Fair play. Although a politicians answer to Pete's question (I take that avoidance as a yes!)
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Do you feel that the PFAI was premature to condemn '50% wage cuts' at Finn Harps without first speaking to the club? Surely this was anything but professional?
    As I understand it, the club announced the wage cuts without first approaching the players. It was this act that the PFAI condemned, not the wage cut in itself per say.
    Just to clarify that this was never 'announced' by anyone but the players and the PFAI, nor was it implemented. In fairness I don't think Tony was there (at the PFAI) at the time, it was Fran Gavin that f**ked that one up.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good read! Would I be right in assuming that iamjam is Quigley, the UCD 'keeper?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Don't know about UCD having the best training facilities in the league!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monzo View Post
    Good read! Would I be right in assuming that iamjam is Quigley, the UCD 'keeper?
    That's a confusing question, there's two 'seperate' posters, ilovejam and ihatejam. Some of us have our suspicions over them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monzo View Post
    If you check out here:
    http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=44168&page=2
    you'll see they're very quick to defend Ally Mac, a defender.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think Bambi is Quigley and ilovejam is McNally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Christ, a sudden surge of UCD-ers in to answer! Good thread that though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsFans View Post
    Don't know about UCD having the best training facilities in the league!
    Who's got better? We've the entire campus basically - numerous pitches, including floodlit training pitches, astro, gym, full changing facilities, etc. Clive Delaney said they were basically Premier Division standard except they had to be shared with the rest of the students.

ilovejam and ihatejam are rumoured to be Allie Mac and his brother, according to a post on the UCD forum somewhere. There's a few knocking about. Tony's a regular reader of the forum himself, though not a poster, as far as I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Us. We have DCU's facilities which are used by the Leinster Rugby team and the Dubs and recognised as the country's best training facilities. More modern than the UCD ones.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Leinster Rugby?! We've had the Brazilian soccer team at ours!!

Don't know the merits of other training facilities, to be honest. All I know is they've been classified as Premiership standard by someone who's played for us an in the Premiership. Which means they're pretty damn good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsPartisan View Post
    Us. We have DCU's facilities which are used by the Leinster Rugby team and the Dubs and recognised as the country's best training facilities. More modern than the UCD ones.
    You don't have DCU's training facilities, you rent them. That's like saying Shams have the best Stadium in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    And also DCU's training facilities are rubbish. I use the same ones as I play for a DCU team in a national league. The pitches are really bad, and not just the ones we use.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast