Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The squads

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    jaysus!!! your post is riddled with contradiction. You cite that you are pleased to see him dropped as he has made errors in previous games. Then you go on to say that its a warning for under achievers. However, you then undo all this good work my mentioning the names of 2 of our many underachievers. Consistant under achievers such as john o'shea.

So what do you want?? Kenny back in, or would as you said this 'warning' to become policy and we get rid of the under achievers. So out goes, O'Brien, Harte, Carr, Ireland, Kilbane, Morrison, O'Shea, Duff, Keane and the countless others who have failed to play to the best of their capabilities over the last 18 months for ireland.

Make your mind up
    Don't understand your point you seem to have seen contradiction where there was none. I made it clear that I'm happy Kenny was dropped due to his desperately bad performances. I expanded on this by saying that it's a pity Staunton also hadn't applied this logic to the likes of Kilbane and O'Shea (another player constantly selected for the team because of his club form - he has been terrible for Ireland). So obviously I think they should also be given the bullet.

I wouldn't include Keane, Duff, Ireland, Carr, Harte or Morrison in the same bracket as JOS but in the case of Morrison and Carr they are not required anymore anyway IMO as we can replace both with younger, potentially better talent so drop them if they continue to underperform.

If Staunton and Kerr had more balls and made more decisions like the omission of Kenny over the years we wouldn't have as many of our senior players showing up for games for a stroll about. Instead of being content with knowing they have a secure place in the team they might actually try to do something to merit their inclusion. Competition for selection might actually give some of these tosse*s the kick up the ar*e they've needed for some time now.

So instead of moaning about fat Kenny being left out moan about the fact that Staunton might have been onto something but stopped short of omitting a few of the other members of the 'not good enough, must try harder' brigade.
    Last edited by youngirish; 13/11/2006 at 6:03 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    I think Kenny has been made a scapegoat but i'm more baffled by what Henderson has achieved in his career to now be our no.2 goalkeeper. Besides Kenny, Supple, Logan and Colgan are playing at a higher level and Joe Murphy and Roche as a similar level in England, and thats not mentioning Irish based keepers. Can Staunton justify his selection because he used to be a team mate? I think Henderson's lack of experience could be a disaster if he has to throw him into a big away game.
    I was also wondering why Staunton often mentions Alan Lee's merits, but i'm guessing he would also have been at Aston Villa with Stan - anyone know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Don't understand your point you seem to have seen contradiction where there was none. I made it clear that I'm happy Kenny was dropped due to his desperately bad performances.
    Well I really believe that Kenny wouldn't have let Koller's shot in. Kenny should be our number 2. Why would you describe his performance against Holland as desperate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Can Staunton justify his selection because he used to be a team mate? ...... I was also wondering why Staunton often mentions Alan Lee's merits, but i'm guessing he would also have been at Aston Villa with Stan - anyone know?
    Isn't one of Stan's assistants a former coach at Aston Villa? Or was the guy I'm thinking of approached and he turned down the position?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    yeah only thing henderson has ever done to justify a place is play for villa. 9 goals in 2 games is a terrible stat for any goalkeeper. he should have been given san marino games to restore his confidance. we might need him again at some stage. I wouldnt be confidant with henderson.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    I think Kenny has been made a scapegoat but i'm more baffled by what Henderson has achieved in his career to now be our no.2 goalkeeper. Besides Kenny, Supple, Logan and Colgan are playing at a higher level and Joe Murphy and Roche as a similar level in England, and thats not mentioning Irish based keepers. Can Staunton justify his selection because he used to be a team mate? I think Henderson's lack of experience could be a disaster if he has to throw him into a big away game.
    I was also wondering why Staunton often mentions Alan Lee's merits, but i'm guessing he would also have been at Aston Villa with Stan - anyone know?
    Henderson played with Brighton in the Championship last season and did quite well. Stan had called him up for the Sweden game when he was in the Championship and he has been there since, Stan didn't have that many alternatives - Colgan was League 1, Stack was involved in a criminal case etc.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789