Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean St. Ledger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    You wha?
    In probability theory and statistics, the normal distribution (also know as he Gaussian distribution) is a continuous probability distribution that describes data that clusters around a mean or average. The graph of the associated probability density function is bell-shaped, with a peak at the mean, and is known as the Gaussian function or bell curve. Duh
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    In probability theory and statistics, the normal distribution (also know as he Gaussian distribution) is a continuous probability distribution that describes data that clusters around a mean or average. The graph of the associated probability density function is bell-shaped, with a peak at the mean, and is known as the Gaussian function or bell curve. Duh
    Lies, damn lies, and statistics

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    deleted
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyone see the second leg of the play-off last night?

I saw the second half only.

SLS was top class again. Definitely good enough to play at a higher level. The guy has pretty much everything you'd want: mobile, good in the air, strong in the tackle, good reading / anticipation, good with both feet, good in the opponent's box, pretty much everything.

He's got to be given a run against Nigeria.
    Just maybe,Trapp has taken notice!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Have you heard anything?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Have you heard anything?
    I'd take it by doc's post that he's in the provisional squad. I think the full squad is announced on Monday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I'd take it by doc's post that he's in the provisional squad. I think the full squad is announced on Monday?
    Yeah, I read somewhere it would be announced on the 18th
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeah, I read somewhere it would be announced on the 18th
    Squad for both games being announced on Monday 18th at 2pm in Abbotstown.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    English Daily Express, Everton in 4m bid for Sean St Ledger.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    If true, sounds good, but dont they have 3 good CBs there already. Though I cant see moyes spending 4 mil without actually using the player a lot. He wont surely dispose of Jagielka or Lescott?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    The sad thing is the second St Ledger gets a move to the Premiership I'm fairly certain he will replace Alex Bruce in the squad and probably will be in contention for a start (perhaps O'Shea will be switched to LB) even though he's been good enough to have a look at for over a year now.
    Last edited by youngirish; 14/05/2009 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    There;s no way Trapattoni is voluntarily going to break up the partnership of O'Shea and Dunne at centre half. Only injury or suspension will make that happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Obviously he should have been there already and by now but in fairness, there's nothing sad about him replacing Alex Bruce in the squad. More like dancing in the streets...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    There;s no way Trapattoni is voluntarily going to break up the partnership of O'Shea and Dunne at centre half. Only injury or suspension will make that happen.
    It should be a sacrifice any manager should be willing to make if it'll mean Kilbane is no longer guaranteed a start.

How's this for a first 11 this time next year if we make the world cup?

Given
    Foley St Ledger Dunne O'Shea

Lawrence Gibson McCann Duff

Keane Doyle

All pie in the sky nonsense of course and its assumed here that Foley, McCann and St Ledger will all have a season in the Premiership under their belts (It's a strong possibility to suggest at least 2 out of the above 3 will do by that stage).

Also one of Judge or Doran for Blackburn could easily break into the first team next season unless Big Sam finds serious transfer funds from somewhere and if that occurs they will also become viable options (though perhaps not as starters).
    Last edited by youngirish; 14/05/2009 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    The sad thing is the second St Ledger gets a move to the Premiership I'm fairly certain he will replace Alex Bruce in the squad and probably will be in contention for a start (perhaps O'Shea will be switched to LB) even though he's been good enough to have a look at for over a year now.
    It's not sad, it's completely sensible. John O'Shea has played how many hundreds of games for Mancheter United in the Premier League, Champions League and how many caps in big games for Ireland? He's about to play in a Champions League final and has Alex Ferguson talking about him being one of their best players this year.
    Sean St Ledger has shown terrific promise in the Championship, never played a premier league game, faced premier league quality opponents a handful of times, and yet you think he should be in contention to start ahead of O'Shea and start switching around a rather good looking back four?

Like I said in the Owen Coyle thread, there shouldn't be any rush to throw inexperienced players in to the mix, let them develop at club level and gain experience before asking them to step up to the pressure-cooker that is international football. After a season or two of experience against top players in the Premier League then come back and say he should be getting a game for Ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    It's not sad, it's completely sensible. John O'Shea has played how many hundreds of games for Mancheter United in the Premier League, Champions League and how many caps in big games for Ireland? He's about to play in a Champions League final and has Alex Ferguson talking about him being one of their best players this year.
    Sean St Ledger has shown terrific promise in the Championship, never played a premier league game, faced premier league quality opponents a handful of times, and yet you think he should be in contention to start ahead of O'Shea and start switching around a rather good looking back four?

Like I said in the Owen Coyle thread, there shouldn't be any rush to throw inexperienced players in to the mix, let them develop at club level and gain experience before asking them to step up to the pressure-cooker that is international football. After a season or two of experience against top players in the Premier League then come back and say he should be getting a game for Ireland.
    I'd agree if we had an abundance of Premier League talent in our squad but considering the lack of quality around at the moment there's no harm having the more promising, younger Championship players around the squad to gain experience and some game time in friendlies so when an emergency does arrive (a Dunne suspension or JOS injury for example) we have a viable option to replace them.

Anyway the fact is KK is a weak link (as has been proven), we've been very lucky so far most people will agree (Georgia at home, Bulgaria at home spring to mind) and JOS is no Paul McGrath though he's been solid if not spectacular under Trap thus far. He's already been switched to one of the fullback positions against Italy anyway to accomodate McShane of all players.

Point is there's no harm trying out something different in friendlies and I'm just suggesting St Ledger will most likely (imo) go straight into the squad just because he got a move and a few games in the Premiership and not because he's had a year or two to develop as a player and this approach doesn't make sense.

I'm not criticizing Trap I think he's done a great job with very limited resources but I do think DG and Liam Brady are recommending the wrong fringe players to him which could come back to bite him on the ar*e.
    Last edited by youngirish; 14/05/2009 at 1:09 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post

I think you make some good points, however how do you explain Alex Bruce being in the squad then?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I've been adamant that Dunne-O'Shea shouldn't be broken up, not because i don't rate JOS as a full back - I do - but because I fear for the quality of CB that'd replace him. I'd prefer to have a ropey FB than a ropey CB. I think Foley & St.Ledger are really close to the reckoning however and much as I admire his attitude and application, I just can't think of McShane as anything other than a mistake waiting to happen.

I can see YI's XI being a good one but I think he's being a bit stubborn in his dismissal of either Whelan or Andrews. I suspect if you replaced McCann with Andrews in the Burnley team at this time, Andrews would look just as impressive.

I'd love to see some of our better fringe players (no Stephen Ireland hairline jokes please) being given a chance to play their way into this team asap. Lawrence, Sledge and Foley probably the most important, McCann is not so important for the here & now in my opinion.

I've always felt that a year from now we'll have a better team and I just hope that we can sneak qualification because in 13/14 months' time I can hand on heart expect we'll be materially more competitive and better balanced.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Bear in mind I also think St. Ledger can deputise relaibly at FB. I think that's why Bruce has been in the squad to date.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

I can see YI's XI being a good one but I think he's being a bit stubborn in his dismissal of either Whelan or Andrews. I suspect if you replaced McCann with Andrews in the Burnley team at this time, Andrews would look just as impressive.
    Stutts I agree I'm more looking at McCann with a glass half full outlook of what he could be like if he gets a season under his belt in the Premiership against the big boys ,after all he's still only 21. At present I'd go with Andrews due to his greater experience and the similar levels of ability involved. I can see McCann only getting better though for three reasons:

1. He's got a good manager who believes in his ability to guide him and seems reluctant to drop him
    2. He's got the physical attributes to exceed in the game
    3. (And this is the most important) He's consistently got better every season he's played for Burnley since making his debut at 18 this has not been true for many of our other young players (Garvan, Stokes, McGeady spring to mind)

Of course if he gets a bad run of injuries that could greatly upset his development as has been the case unfortunately with Joey O'Brien who looked an excellent prospect a few season ago.
    Last edited by youngirish; 14/05/2009 at 8:30 PM.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast