Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Sportsmanship Dead ?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Sportsmanship Dead ?

Hi i am posting this thread to try and inject a little bit of sportsmanship back into the clubs in our league who have lost it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Not worth the hassle Old Keeper,
    my club had a problem with a particular club in two consecutive seasons, in both games the opposing team had a player down and we stopped play and told them, yet they continued playing on, sparking all manner of problems, thankfully this unwritten rule is gone. The reason it's gone - sportsmanship IS dead

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone from Pike?

If there is anyone from pike on the thread please pass this on to your chairman

Law 3 states

A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than eleven players, one of whom is the goalkeeper. A match may not start if either team consists of fewer than seven players

He is under the impression that teams must have 11 to play

Law 7 states

The match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes, unless otherwise mutually agreed between the referee and the two participating teams.

Any agreement to alter the periods of play (for example to reduce each half to 40 minutes because of insufficient light) must be made before the start of play and must comply with competition rules.
    Last edited by Old keeper; 15/10/2006 at 6:07 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    St Patricks were down for two games today, one was this morning, but the Minor game was this afternoon and as it clashed with the county final, We were struggling to field. Not wanting to give a walkover we managed to get 9 players to travel. these lads have great heart and wanted to field rather than have the club give a walkover. Before the game started I asked the Pike staff to play 30mins a side in order to keep the score respectable as our lads knew going into the game that there was slim hope of winning. Pike agreed to play 1 full 45 and 5 or 10 into the second half. all were happy, until half time when pike decided they wanted to play an additional 30 mins and not only that but winning 9-2 at half time were shouting lets get another 9 lads. I remonstrated with the pike manager and the club chairman that an agreement was made but was given short shrift. I am proud of the effoorts of the 9 St Pats players and applaud the fact that they scored 3 goals and kept going to the final whistle. (In fairness the game was blown up early by the ref)

I just find it distastful that clubs feel that they need to drive home every nail when faced with little or no opposition, this is a role for managers to take in hand and display some sportsmanship in these situations. It also leaves a bad taste in the mouth when teams agree to play a set time and this is not respected.

We all went to the county final afterwards to be further depressed but thats life
    Last edited by Old keeper; 15/10/2006 at 6:32 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That wasnt very nice of Pike but as 3 Heroes said, sportsmanship is dead. Only on occasion do you see sportsmanship on the field anymore.

When it does happen that a team is being well beaten the ref usually asks both teams managers if they want to finish the game and usually both managers agree to finish. Poor form on Pikes manager today. There is absolutely nothing to gain from playing on. There are only 3 points up for grabs and it doesnt matter if you win 1-0 or 12-0. Its not as if the losing team are actually putting up a battle when they are down by 6 or 7.

As for the manager not knowing how many players are needed to start a game,how stupid can he be? It sounds like he just wanted the easy walkover and then when the game started he decided he would embaress your club by beating 9 players by as much as possible just because he had to go through the rigmarole of a game when the points were a cert. Nothing worse than a bad winner. He will have no luck for it.
    18 times, and that's a fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It would have been karma if a player on team in a similiar position leading had been injured during the time that had not been agreed to play in

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larrywhite View Post
    That wasnt very nice of Pike but as 3 Heroes said, sportsmanship is dead. Only on occasion do you see sportsmanship on the field anymore.

When it does happen that a team is being well beaten the ref usually asks both teams managers if they want to finish the game and usually both managers agree to finish. Poor form on Pikes manager today. There is absolutely nothing to gain from playing on. There are only 3 points up for grabs and it doesnt matter if you win 1-0 or 12-0. Its not as if the losing team are actually putting up a battle when they are down by 6 or 7.

As for the manager not knowing how many players are needed to start a game,how stupid can he be? It sounds like he just wanted the easy walkover and then when the game started he decided he would embaress your club by beating 9 players by as much as possible just because he had to go through the rigmarole of a game when the points were a cert. Nothing worse than a bad winner. He will have no luck for it.
    i agree totaly......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    there is no excuse for what you said went on oldkeeper, none whatsoever, but in answer to your question is sportsmanship dead the answer is yes, just look at what happens after play is stopped for an injury and the team gives the ball back. where does it go? down into the corner for a throw in, thats not sportsmanship, as far as im concerned the ball should either be rolled to the fullback or kicked to the keeper, but it never happens does it?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as a pike man I agree its bad form but old keeper you, better than anyone, should know the pike chairmans form at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    what i would have done was have a few players go down injured/then go off and got the game abondoned due to insufficient players. That would of made the pike boys happy
    who said sportsmanship is dead !

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what i would have done was have a few players go down injured/then go off and got the game abondoned due to insufficient players. That would of made the pike boys happy
    who said sportsmanship is dead !
    Now thats good thinking...

International Prospect abbeyvale's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old keeper View Post
    St Patricks were down for two games today, one was this morning, but the Minor game was this afternoon and as it clashed with the county final, We were struggling to field. Not wanting to give a walkover we managed to get 9 players to travel. these lads have great heart and wanted to field rather than have the club give a walkover. Before the game started I asked the Pike staff to play 30mins a side in order to keep the score respectable as our lads knew going into the game that there was slim hope of winning. Pike agreed to play 1 full 45 and 5 or 10 into the second half. all were happy, until half time when pike decided they wanted to play an additional 30 mins and not only that but winning 9-2 at half time were shouting lets get another 9 lads. I remonstrated with the pike manager and the club chairman that an agreement was made but was given short shrift. I am proud of the effoorts of the 9 St Pats players and applaud the fact that they scored 3 goals and kept going to the final whistle. (In fairness the game was blown up early by the ref)

I just find it distastful that clubs feel that they need to drive home every nail when faced with little or no opposition, this is a role for managers to take in hand and display some sportsmanship in these situations. It also leaves a bad taste in the mouth when teams agree to play a set time and this is not respected.

We all went to the county final afterwards to be further depressed but thats life

Oldkeeper
    What competition was this in? and what was the final score?
    Just curious
    68, 99, 08

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyvale View Post
    Oldkeeper
    What competition was this in? and what was the final score?
    Just curious
    Youth division 2

Final score 9-3

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    what brainbox put ye down for a game the same day as the county final in all fairness............

International Prospect abbeyvale's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old keeper View Post
    Youth division 2

Final score 9-3

Who's the manager of the Pike youth team??
    68, 99, 08

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abbeyvale View Post
    Who's the manager of the Pike youth team??
    To be fair the manager was not present as he was abroad on holiday, I dont know the name of the chap who was running things on the day. but there was a large presence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I wouldnt really blame the pike lads,

_-MOD EDIT-:Leave out the name calling.

Oldkeeper,i think because of the pike chairmans relationship with a recently suspended LDMC member you wouldnt be his favourite person......................
    Last edited by the 12 th man; 17/10/2006 at 8:59 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oldkeeper,i think because of the pike chairmans relationship with a recently suspended LDMC member you wouldnt be his favourite person......................[/QUOTE]

Who is the suspended LDMC member and why is he suspended??
    I know Old Keeper probably cant answer that one, so can someone else answer it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

County Final

Lads am i right in thinking that this county final is GAA!!!

Well why not play a soccer match at the same time,
    if they want to go to watch a GAA match i say off with them....Different sport....If there was a soccer final on would the GAA refix there league...I think not....
    If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smellyfeet View Post
    Lads am i right in thinking that this county final is GAA!!!

Well why not play a soccer match at the same time,
    if they want to go to watch a GAA match i say off with them....Different sport....If there was a soccer final on would the GAA refix there league...I think not....
    easy to say that smellyfeet if your a city team but when it comes to country teams most of their players play gaa as well, we can't do anything about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast