Page 367 of 367 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367
Results 7,321 to 7,333 of 7333

Thread: Robbie Keane

  1. #7321
    International Prospect DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    9,791
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,579
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,815
    Thanked in
    1,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    When "headers" was mentioned, it was the Cyprus game that came to mind for me as well
    He actually scored a header in the reverse fixture too, a tap in though.

  2. #7322
    Capped Player OwlsFan's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Posts
    10,086
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    780
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,252
    Thanked in
    704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I certainly am.
    The only miss which haunts me is Houghton's against England in Wembley when the JC team was at the top of its game and missed out on the 1992 Euros as a consequence. I am not saying that there are not loads of others over the years but this one stands out above all the rest.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #7323
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,366
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,402
    Thanked in
    1,805 Posts
    Even though it didn't really work out for him (3 goals in 14 games), I feel that Keane doesn't get enough credit for moving to Internazionale on the eve of his 20th birthday. That is unparalleled for an Irish player (Brady was 24 and a First Div regular, Paddy Sloan was way back) and from my research he is one of only 3 to play in one of the most challenging leagues in the world. Because it wasn't a blazing success it doesn't get mentioned often but its quite the achievement and it says a lot about his courage, character and self-belief. We were very lucky to have him. Once in a lifetime Irish goalscoring talent and thanks for the memories Robbie. Legend.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #7324
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,366
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,402
    Thanked in
    1,805 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The only miss which haunts me is Houghton's against England in Wembley when the JC team was at the top of its game and missed out on the 1992 Euros as a consequence. I am not saying that there are not loads of others over the years but this one stands out above all the rest.
    Haunted by it too. It gets worse on every viewing. I was watching the Ireland v England 95 game on the link that Del posted on the relevant thread here and one of the clips in the opening montage is that miss. Almost put me off my dinner.

  7. #7325
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    571
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    143
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Haunted by it too. It gets worse on every viewing. I was watching the Ireland v England 95 game on the link that Del posted on the relevant thread here and one of the clips in the opening montage is that miss. Almost put me off my dinner.
    Can anyone remember the game where Whelo had a one on one with the keeper and he played the ball backwards?

  8. #7326
    International Prospect DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    9,791
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,579
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,815
    Thanked in
    1,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Can anyone remember the game where Whelo had a one on one with the keeper and he played the ball backwards?
    I remember the incident, can't place the game itself! It was a mad moment but if I remember correctly he just didn't back himself pace-wise, and he might have been right.

    Maybe Georgia (h) during the Euro campaign? I'm pretty definite it was at Lansdowne anyway.

  9. #7327
    International Prospect DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    9,791
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,579
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,815
    Thanked in
    1,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Haunted by it too. It gets worse on every viewing. I was watching the Ireland v England 95 game on the link that Del posted on the relevant thread here and one of the clips in the opening montage is that miss. Almost put me off my dinner.
    Yeah, that and the Macedonia equaliser haven't softened over time. I don't think there are any others for me really, that I would have seen live. Wim Kieft was before I actually cared, but it had to have been the heartbreaker of all heartbreakers.

    Alaba in Dublin was a stomach sinker too.

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #7328
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    571
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    143
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I remember the incident, can't place the game itself! It was a mad moment but if I remember correctly he just didn't back himself pace-wise, and he might have been right.

    Maybe Georgia (h) during the Euro campaign? I'm pretty definite it was at Lansdowne anyway.
    Thanks, if anyway has a link, please post it. I remember nearly fainting at the time. then I just laughed

  12. #7329
    Capped Player OwlsFan's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Posts
    10,086
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    780
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,252
    Thanked in
    704 Posts
    I wonder did Robbie get told off after the draw for opening the container below eye level on occasion ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

  13. #7330
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    665
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    433
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Didn't Robbie miss a header against Brazil that would've won it for us. Near the death? The game where Kavanagh and Kilbane both simultaneously creamed Eduardo (I think) who was playing for Arsenal at the time
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

  14. #7331
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,668
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,651
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,984
    Thanked in
    3,141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Didn't Robbie miss a header against Brazil that would've won it for us. Near the death? The game where Kavanagh and Kilbane both simultaneously creamed Eduardo (I think) who was playing for Arsenal at the time
    Gilberto, wasn't it? Went off after about 15 minutes.

  15. #7332
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    665
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    433
    Thanked in
    297 Posts
    Yep i think you're right.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

  16. #7333
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    571
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    16
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    143
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Fair play to Robbie, never ever rat on your mates
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-37655849.html

Similar Threads

  1. Robbie Keane
    By Crosby87 in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19/01/2014, 4:54 PM
  2. Robbie Keane interview on RTE
    By paul_oshea in forum Ireland
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06/12/2006, 11:43 AM
  3. Robbie keane ?
    By One Brian Kerr in forum Ireland
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26/04/2004, 3:17 PM
  4. Robbie Keane
    By Xlex in forum World Cup
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07/06/2002, 11:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •