Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 367 of 378 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,340 of 7554

Thread: Robbie Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Even though it didn't really work out for him (3 goals in 14 games), I feel that Keane doesn't get enough credit for moving to Internazionale on the eve of his 20th birthday. That is unparalleled for an Irish player (Brady was 24 and a First Div regular, Paddy Sloan was way back) and from my research he is one of only 3 to play in one of the most challenging leagues in the world. Because it wasn't a blazing success it doesn't get mentioned often but its quite the achievement and it says a lot about his courage, character and self-belief. We were very lucky to have him. Once in a lifetime Irish goalscoring talent and thanks for the memories Robbie. Legend.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The only miss which haunts me is Houghton's against England in Wembley when the JC team was at the top of its game and missed out on the 1992 Euros as a consequence. I am not saying that there are not loads of others over the years but this one stands out above all the rest.
    Haunted by it too. It gets worse on every viewing. I was watching the Ireland v England 95 game on the link that Del posted on the relevant thread here and one of the clips in the opening montage is that miss. Almost put me off my dinner.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Haunted by it too. It gets worse on every viewing. I was watching the Ireland v England 95 game on the link that Del posted on the relevant thread here and one of the clips in the opening montage is that miss. Almost put me off my dinner.
    Can anyone remember the game where Whelo had a one on one with the keeper and he played the ball backwards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Can anyone remember the game where Whelo had a one on one with the keeper and he played the ball backwards?
    I remember the incident, can't place the game itself! It was a mad moment but if I remember correctly he just didn't back himself pace-wise, and he might have been right.

Maybe Georgia (h) during the Euro campaign? I'm pretty definite it was at Lansdowne anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Yeah, that and the Macedonia equaliser haven't softened over time. I don't think there are any others for me really, that I would have seen live. Wim Kieft was before I actually cared, but it had to have been the heartbreaker of all heartbreakers.

Alaba in Dublin was a stomach sinker too.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I remember the incident, can't place the game itself! It was a mad moment but if I remember correctly he just didn't back himself pace-wise, and he might have been right.

Maybe Georgia (h) during the Euro campaign? I'm pretty definite it was at Lansdowne anyway.
    Thanks, if anyway has a link, please post it. I remember nearly fainting at the time. then I just laughed

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I wonder did Robbie get told off after the draw for opening the container below eye level on occasion ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Didn't Robbie miss a header against Brazil that would've won it for us. Near the death? The game where Kavanagh and Kilbane both simultaneously creamed Eduardo (I think) who was playing for Arsenal at the time
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Didn't Robbie miss a header against Brazil that would've won it for us. Near the death? The game where Kavanagh and Kilbane both simultaneously creamed Eduardo (I think) who was playing for Arsenal at the time
    Gilberto, wasn't it? Went off after about 15 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Yep i think you're right.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Fair play to Robbie, never ever rat on your mates
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-37655849.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What a farce
    La Galaxy unveil a statute of Becks who the article reports his claim to fame is that he won 2 MLS titles out of 5 seasons there.
    Not reported is that his first 3 seasons there were notable by the absence of MLS titles, his last 2 title winning seasons there (2011 2012) were notable by the winningest presence of Robbie Keane.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Robbie scored this today for the Spurs Legends against the Inter Legends team
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Robbie to Middlesbrough as assistant manager would be an interesting one if it happens. I'm not sure how much input he really has in the Ireland setup so I wouldn't necessarily see him double jobbing as a problem.

He might also be a link that brings Irish players into first team football at the club. Players like Masterson or Connell who are searching for a club might come onto their radar via Robbie, or someone like Lee O'Connor or Cullen who he will have seen in the senior squad might end up there through him.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Robbie to Middlesbrough as assistant manager would be an interesting one if it happens.
    Confirmed - https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/jonathan-...-coaching-team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't like these type of moves. He now has no room to go and watch players, where up until now he's been able to keep an eye on players, go and watch games in Ireland, England and the like.

Regardless of the importance of his role in the Irish setup, it's now diluted to playing second fiddle to his main job with Middlesborough.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Did Keane confirm that his "main job" is not with Middlesbrough?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    There will be advantages if Keane can work directly with Irish players at Boro. He will also see how opposing Irish players perform against Boro and have a real sense of their capabilities. Ultimately it’s the Mick and TC show with Ireland and Keane is primarily there as an arm over the shoulder guy to give support while providing a few pointers to our attacking players. Don’t think this will have major implications for us either way.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    The more experience Robbie Keane gets in the management side of things the better .

Best way to find out if he has the ability and the stick-ability that is needed as a manager all be it as assistant manager here .

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Article in the Indo today about how Robbie has revealed that his contract with the FAI extends beyond Mick McCarthy's end date. Very interesting - surely Kenny would be allowed to bring on his own staff when he takes over?