Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    All the signs are there...

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    It was mentioned on the radio commentary on Wednesday night that, after his final goal, Robbie has now scored at least one international goal in 19 consecutive years
    I posted that on the football365 forum and someone replied that might be a world record, and it just might be

I had a look at the wiki page for the list of top international goalscorers - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...national_goals
    Only five players had a career span the same as Robbie (19 years), or greater - Hossam Hassan(Egypt, 22), Imre Schlosser(Hungary, 22), Fandi Ahmad(Singapore, 19), Romário(Brazil, 19), and Carlos Ruiz(Guatemala, 19)
    From the list of Hossam's international goals - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Hossam_Hassan - he didn't score in 1995, 2001, 2002, or 2003
    According to RSSSF, Schlosser didn't score in 1921-1925 - http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/schlosser-intlg.html
    Ahmad didn't score in 1984, 1986, 1988, or 1994 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fandi_Ahmad
    Romario didn't score in 1991, 1992, or 1993 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rom%C3%A1rio
    Ruis didn't score in 2009, 2010 or 2013 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos..._footballer%29
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I suppose it's possible that a player with less than 50 international goals might have done it, but pretty unlikely you would think. It's an amazing record really.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He touched the ball once vs Sweden in over 20 minutes, and it was in our half. He barely touched it against Belgium too. He is not stupid, he must have known after those games he couldn't contribute any more at this level. You can say he's second guessing MON thinking the same thing, but I think he deserves credit. He knew it was time so retired. We wouldn't be discussing this only for the more hysterical amongst us taking a partisan view of what he said 5 years ago, and one of them bringing the point up again, saying I told you he'd do what I said he's not now doing but kind of doing, at the same time.
    Whether robbie anticipated the push or the fall isn't here nor there, the push was likely but in the end he chose to retire himself, he chose to walkaway.

Keane is about halfway through the league season in the states and has scored 20 goals or so similar to the last few years at this stage of the season. Nothing to suggest he is doing anything less this year than he was previous year's.

Wednesday showed albeit against weal opposition that robbie is still the best in and around the box that we have creating something from nothing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Yep, a bit like you and Charlie (��) I'd probably like to have him around as an option but equally I think it's hard to argue that he hasn't made the right decision at the right time. I've no complaints. Despite what he's doing in the US the last time I saw him in Dublin it looked obvious to me the legs required against good opposition had gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    You still won't let it go. I think most of the responses to the article respresent "the public" as opposed to Conlon who thinks he speaks for "the public":

oggy81 21 minutes ago
    are we missing something or what? what is the reason for the media hate of keane.?? he must be pro-life or something otherwise i really can't understand it.

Macbeth 1 hour ago
    Talk about damning with faint praise.!!

Paul Staunton 1 hour ago
    From reading the article the case against Keane seems to be the following

- he is confident (you don‘t achieve what he did without confidence)
    - his premiership scoring record (which is excellent)
    - his international scoring record (which is excellent)
    - how he celebrated his world cup goal against Saudi Arabia(shock as footballer likes to celebrate goals)
    An absolutely ridiculous article which doesn‘t raise a single decent argument against Robbie.Congrats.

coco33 1 hour ago
    Was robbie always involved in off the field trouble, drinking, partying or parading himself in the media? No. Did he love playing and scoring goals for his country? Yes. Open and shut case.

carboncopy 2 hours ago
    What a miserable article. Keane could have walked away when he hit 100 caps. He stayed involved with the team despite knowing that in the last few years, he was no longer first choice - not easy to do when you have been top dog for so long. Clearly, the management team valued him or they would have dropped him.

I'd encourage anyone to tune into the sports pages review on Off the Ball on Sundays - if you have the stomach to listen to sports journalists fawning over each other's copy. Now that's a bunch of people who really value themselves a bit too highly, far more than Robbie Keane does.

clarklsparkl 2 hours ago
    Most people in life love themselves and the few that dont usually end up committing suicide or self harming. This Tommy guy who wrote article is a bull****ter and the Indo is worse for publishing it.

DevO'Max 3 hours ago
    The point of this article seems to be to tell everyone to pay attention to the author.

andyharan9 3 hours ago
    jesus christ that was an embarrassingly petty article.

robtor11 3 hours ago
    I am no fanboy of Robbie Keane or anyone else but this is a nasty, rather spiteful article I must say...

Shankly5 4 hours ago
    First prize goes to conlon for the most childish bitter non sensical article written in 2016 so far.

SwayL 4 hours ago
    I'm grateful for Robbie, a vital cog in the wheel. It's difficult to judge his international scoring record given that the team was mainly focused on stopping goals at our end.

Shonboleth 11 hours ago
    What a horrible article, what was the point of this vitriol? You've lost a reafer

murtles 3 hours ago
    @Shonboleth ...looks like you've smoked that reefer.

etc etc
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Top prize goes to those who swallowed the joe.ie gem

Robbie Keane vows to quit Ireland if dropped by Trapattoni

Ireland captain Robbie Keane has said that he will walk away from the Irish soccer team if he loses his place in the starting XI.

but say now 5 years later, 'but he did walk away didn't he, just as he vowed he would'.

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Even the use of Robbie's scoring statistics in that article is disingenuous, at the least - Conlon says his Premier League scoring record was "close to a one-in-three ratio". Well, actually 126 goals in 349 games is just under 1 every 2.77 games. While that may not sound like much of a difference at first glance, he would have had to have played 3/4 of an extra season (29 games) without scoring to hit 1 in 3, or failed to score in 2004-2005 when he got 11. Also take into account that during his time Spurs, when he was most settled, he was sharing scoring duties with Jermain Defoe and, so far as I remember, they were always competing with each other to be the main striker and didn't complement each other so well (as Quinn and Keane did for Ireland). Had he had a Quinn-like partner at that time, his record might have been even better. Also, in the early days of his career, he was criticized for not scoring enough tap-ins to be a prolific goalscorer and his scoring record at Coventry and Leeds was worse than 1 in 3. However, after his move to Spurs, his record for the rest of his Premier League career was 1 in 2.67

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    I read that article yesterday and was going to post it here but decided against it as it was just a load of tripe. Conlon's a geebag

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Don't think the article's that bad in fairness. Reflects my experience of how a lot of people took (or didn't take) to Robbie in his earlier years. I knew a few people around Lansdowne who pretty much despised him post World Cup seemingly because he had the gall of being fully comprehensible as to his own talent and he narked the ref too much.

Got the feeling reading it Conlan wanted to (or was asked to) hatchet Keane but gave up halfway though. It's almost heartwarming by the end.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Worth noting last night's goal was his first of 2016 - which means he scored in every one of his 19 years as an international.
    Also worth noting Murphy has scored one in his 23 games as an international!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Only five players had a career span the same as Robbie (19 years), or greater - Hossam Hassan(Egypt, 22), Imre Schlosser(Hungary, 22), Fandi Ahmad(Singapore, 19), Romário(Brazil, 19), and Carlos Ruiz(Guatemala, 19)

Ruis didn't score in 2009, 2010 or 2013
    Ruiz has joined Keane on 68 goals in what was also his final appearance.

Pity we didn't manage to get Robbie five the last night, he would have jumped into the top ten ahead of Klose & co!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    If we had arranged a few friendlies with St Vincent and the Grenadines, I'm sure Robbie would have left Klose well behind in the slipstream

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    We'd probably have a few more on 50+ goals too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    scored on his return for LA Galaxy last night
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    If we had arranged a few friendlies with St Vincent and the Grenadines, I'm sure Robbie would have left Klose well behind in the slipstream
    IDK. St Vincent and the Grenadines are improving, maybe The Principality of Sealand?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Have a look at the 100+ goals he scored in the Premier League as compiled by Sky and even you (well, actually, probably not) might recognise the genius of the man.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Have a look at the 100+ goals he scored in the Premier League as compiled by Sky and even you (well, actually, probably not) might recognise the genius of the man.
    It was a purposely daft comment responding to a purposely daft comment someone else made. Banter. Nothing more.