Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 7589

Thread: Robbie Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    Im right in saying that Robbie Keane is a glorified over rated player. Failed to make the grade at a number of club sides.

You’re just a wind up merchant. You have nothing positive to say about anything, football related anyway. I am sure that you sit in front of your TV just hoping Ireland loose and good honest players like Keane don’t score just for your own satisfaction. You probably have never even been at an Irish match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    You’re just a wind up merchant. You have nothing positive to say about anything, football related anyway. I am sure that you sit in front of your TV just hoping Ireland loose and good honest players like Keane don’t score just for your own satisfaction. You probably have never even been at an Irish match.
    I enjoy watching Keane not score alright. But I want Eire to win.

I don't go to Eire matches myself as there are no Finn Harps players on the team.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Lordy FP , watching our lads(Harps) has sent you demented if you think Daryl Murphy should play instead of Robbie.
    Had a fine game against Georgia and will have a good qualifying campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

clinton

keane needs to mature. although i don't question is work ethic in most games, he hasn't scored an important goal in god knows how long. in-fact, in the last WC qualifying campaign, clinton scored more important goals against the real opposition.

how many of his goals have come against crap teams or in friendlies??

i dont care what anyone says, he should've scored after rounding the keeper against georgia, it wasn't that tight an angle!

but we shouldnt leave him out, because there's no one else. maybe drop him for one game to get a bit of a reaction out of him, but the alternatives dont bare thinking about.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Are you kidding? That was a tight angle, and his shot could still have been taken off the line by the last defender if I recall. You can't argue that he should be dropped on the basis of one missed chance.

Yes his international form has been less than it should be for a good while, but if anything Keane has been playing his best football for years lately. If ever there was a question of him being dropped, it's long past.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Don’t agree at all.Whats the point in dropping him? What’s it going to achieve? Make him a better goal scorer or make him want to score more goals? Keane knows what his job is and he goes on the the field to do exactly that. There is more chance of Robbie scoring in a game than not and for someone to say that he does not want to score goals or is not capable of scoring is talking rubbish. Give him the ball in the right area and he will score.

On the game the other night he played his heart out as usual, set up a goal and nearly scored another and imo from a very tight angle that could have gone either side of the post. So, no I would not drop him because he does not deserve to be dropped.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    I enjoy watching Keane not score alright. But I want Eire to win.
    You enjoy seeing our top goalscorer struggle but you want Ireland to win.

That makes alot of sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
    how many of his goals have come against crap teams or in friendlies??
    and how many have come in world cup finals, play offs and other important qualifiers??

robbie will end up with 50 goals for us (29 more than the next highest Irish scorer) yet we still have to listen to that kind of awful cr*p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    Trap isn't going to drop Keane, he's made him captain, and the focal point of the attacks. Think Henry at Arsenal, every move they made was passing the ball at pace, all with the intention of releasing him into space. Healy for the North was their focal point, their best striker so all of their play was based around making a chance for him to shoot, how many other players scored in the last qualifiers?
    I firmly believe that Trapattoni is trying to build a team to get the best out of Robbie Keane, and is not going to drop him. Nor should he.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I can see Robbie scoring tonight and us getting the narrowest of 1-0 victories. The moaners will still be here crying about Clinton Morrison and Daryl Murphy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    I can see Robbie scoring tonight and us getting the narrowest of 1-0 victories. The moaners will still be here crying about Clinton Morrison and Daryl Murphy.
    if anybody thinks those two players are better than Robbie Keane then they don't know anything about football in general.

Murphy has done a decent job at Sunderland. Solid player but nothing more.

Clinton is a championship player. Tries hard and quick but not going to win you games against decent opposition.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    exactly, hardly any of his goals have come in qualifers and playoffs.

germany in the world cup, since then i can't think of an important goals, save maybe against Israel.

he is not playing some of the best football of his life - he's been ****e for liverpool and was only playing well with spurs because berbatov and him made such a good partnership - all the while still failing to score against any team of note for ireland.

i'm not saying keane doesn't try, but the fact is, his 29 goals were a lot easier got than quinn's et al.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    if anybody thinks those two players are better than Robbie Keane then they don't know anything about football in general. - taking the discussion out of context. nobody said they were better, but argued for their inclusion as keane hasnt performed for ireland in ages.

Clinton is a championship player. Tries hard and quick but not going to win you games against decent opposition.
    yes, whereas keane has won us a game against....ooh, erm, no. whereas clinton got vital goals against switzerland - away! israel - away! opener against cyprus.

he's probably passed it now, and no-one said to call him up or replace robbie, but his scoring record was quoted as to highlight keane's inaequate performances of late for his country.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    he was only playing well with spurs because berbatov and him made such a good partnership
    Give him credit where it's due - he benefited Berbatov at least as much as Berbatov benefited Keane.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grinch View Post
    Lads I think the best way to put it is this, Keane is our best striker. He's just not very good, at the moment. He is our top all time scorer, and has done some great things in his time, but he's just not very good at the moment. He's taking a lot of flak here, a little off me even, but he is too talented an individual not to come back to some form. But mind you, he's not very good at the moment....
    So how would you rate his form currently??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    but the fact is, his 29 goals were a lot easier got than quinn's et al.
    Why so?
    How is this fact?
    Did Quinn score all his goals in vital games or is his %age of goals in friendlies just as high as Keanes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    keane is our captain and top striker, he is never going to get dropped, and anyway his form isnt that bad. i think he is the most important player to our chances of qualifying. him and torres are going to strike up a partnership at liverpool very soon, it just takes time to get know each other. and you should notice the respect he gets from torres (who is probably the best striker in the world right now) which says a lot about how good robbie keane is.
    keane will know more than anyone that he needs to step up tonight and get a goal or two, i hope he does. and as he is our best option why are we not suppourting him??
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Keane

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Trap isn't going to drop Keane, he's made him captain, and the focal point of the attacks. Think Henry at Arsenal, every move they made was passing the ball at pace, all with the intention of releasing him into space. Healy for the North was their focal point, their best striker so all of their play was based around making a chance for him to shoot, how many other players scored in the last qualifiers?
    I firmly believe that Trapattoni is trying to build a team to get the best out of Robbie Keane, and is not going to drop him. Nor should he.
    Good Point. Anybody that thinks Keane is a poor player and that we should drop him really knows nothing about the game of football. Muppets

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    A very boring maths lesson to how that Robbie doesn't just score in Friendlies

6 goals in 20 World Cup Qualifying games [30% of games]
    3 goals in 4 World Cup Finals games [75%]
    11 goals in 24 European Championship Qualifying games [45.8%]
    14 goals in 36 Friendlies [38%]

Hopefully he will improve his World Cup qualifying record over the coming months but in general his goals have been pretty evenly spread. Name any striker in the world who doesn't score more goals against weaker teams?

I thought Robbie was good tonight - he created a really good effort out of very little and played in McGeady perfectly. I think the biggest contributor to the lower number of goals in the last couple of years has been that the service to the strikers has been very poor. I'm hoping Duffer's return (and maybe a slimmer Andy Reid) will improve that part of Ireland's game in Croker next month.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    The suggestion we drop Robbie Keane is blx. The suggestion he only scores in big games is even more so. The suggestion he scores in games we don't win. Well, that's down to the rest of the team. Who scored two of our 6 penalties in Korea against Spain??

Robbie Keane scores in all kinds of games against all kinds of teams, that's what strikers do. Who set up McGeady's howler tonight?? Should we drop him??

His only let down has been his staunch defence of the last puppet in charge of the team, but he was not alone in that.