Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 7589

Thread: Robbie Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Get off the soap box dodge

L37 Ultra put up a good topic for discussion. Ssave for an assessment of Kuyt his points were all good.

But you have to introduce the domestic game into the discussion (with the international team). How it connects to Robbie Keane and Liverpool is anyone's guess.

There is life outside the EL, get over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    I don't think he's going to get rotated that much, only Gerrard and Torres got into double figures for Liverpool in the Premiership last season. Kuyt only got 3 in the Premiership, and 12 overall in the season.
    Keane has scored consistently wherever he's played, with a variety of strike partners.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    L37 Ultra put up a good topic for discussion. Ssave for an assessment of Kuyt his points were all good.

But you have to introduce the domestic game into the discussion (with the international team). How it connects to Robbie Keane and Liverpool is anyone's guess.

I think you must have 2 threads open at once? Read dodge's posts again if you think he mentioned the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts

what impact will Keanes move to Liverpool have on Irish football? None, nada, zip.

It will benefit Liverpools irish profits more than Irish football.

Great move for him though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    what impact will Keanes move to Liverpool have on Irish football? None, nada, zip.

It will benefit Liverpools irish profits more than Irish football.

Great move for him though.
    When I said Irish football I meant the Republic of Irish national side. If I wanted to discuss the benifits the move would have on the domestic League I would have put this thread in the Eircom League section. Obviously it will have no impact on the LOi, but in my opinion it will have a positive impact on the Republic of Ireland squad as a whole. Why? Because our captain has just moved to one of the biggest clubs in the world. Surely the benifts of this are self explanitory.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    Can I laugh too at that comment?
    I would never, in good conscience, come between a Kilkenny City fan and a bit of enjoyment on their behalf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Levy:
    [I]"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard, not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield.

"I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction.
    This the same bloke who undermined Martin Jol behind the scenes 12 months ago, in order to replace him with Ramos?

Pot..kettle...black

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Becaus ei t is the posters disgression as to whether to start a new thread or post in an esisting one.
    Is this spelling a wind up ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Maybe if the thread title didnt mention "Irish football" he wouldn't have to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

Please point out where I mentioned the LOI. Or point out any posts where I didn't answer either a question posed to me or the original question.

Get off you own ****ing soapbox and realisee that all LOI fans have an onterest in most areas of the game.

There is no way a 28 year old seasoned international moving clubs can help either Irish football, or the international team. If he was a kid, absolutely.

As I said good move for Keane, good move for Liverpool. No affect whatsoever on the national side. Did the national side improve when Duff joined Chelsea? Did it improve when Liam Miller joined Man U?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    There is no way a 28 year old seasoned international moving clubs can help either Irish football, or the international team. If he was a kid, absolutely.

As I said good move for Keane, good move for Liverpool. No affect whatsoever on the national side. Did the national side improve when Duff joined Chelsea? Did it improve when Liam Miller joined Man U?

That's not to say it CAN'T improve the National side because it didn't with the other examples Dodge. I agree that, at 28 it is unlikely to have any impact but I fully expect Keane to play a lot of games (Benitez doesn't rotate as much as people think any more) and who knows, maybe playing in the Champions League regularly as well as crunch League games can take his game up another notch??

If it did then that will obviously be good for the National team.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Liverpool have made it to two Champions League Finals in the last four years and one Semi. Playing at that level for a sustained period will improve anybody. Dodge - based on your argument players would only ever do fitness training once they reached a certain age; Niall Quinn at Arsenal was tall gangly and nowhere near the player he became by the time he retired playing for Sunderland. In his book he talks about how much time he spent working on his skills throughout his career - of course players can improve when they are 28.

The big questions are will Keane actually play or will he be back-up for Torres and - if he is to be given a regular starting place - will it be in his preferred position? Liverpool have had issues at right-midfield for a while now ...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    He played in a 3rd round qualifier for Inter , was therefore ineligible to play in it for Leeds the same season , so yes it would be his debut in the competition proper trusting that Liverpool qualify
    It was a UEFA Cup qualifier for Inter, wasn't even Champions League, the rules back then were if you'd played in Europe in any competition you were ineligible to play in Europe period for another club. Was a shame, could have been the difference between Leeds winning it and going out in the semi, he was on fire in the league at the time....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    It was a UEFA Cup qualifier for Inter, wasn't even Champions League, the rules back then were if you'd played in Europe in any competition you were ineligible to play in Europe period for another club. Was a shame, could have been the difference between Leeds winning it and going out in the semi, he was on fire in the league at the time....
    it was definitely Champion's League, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._In...ano#Dark_Times
    What followed was another embarrassment, as they were eliminated in the preliminary round of the Champions League by Swedish club Helsingborgs IF. Alvaro Recoba was given the opportunity to draw the sides level with a last-minute penalty, yet he missed
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
    of course players can improve when they are 28
    I said improve dramatically. And none of the examples Ciaran used have changed my mind. All of them were playing at a very high level throughout their careers (and I'd argue with most of his "peaks" if I was arsed what he thought)

Keane's game may seem improved while playing with liverpool because he's playing with better players, but when he goes back to play for his country, he'll still be dealing with the same level as he is now.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I said improve dramatically. And none of the examples Ciaran used have changed my mind. All of them were playing at a very high level throughout their careers (and I'd argue with most of his "peaks" if I was arsed what he thought)
    I agree that the players and their ages that Ciaran references as examples of footballers peaking at later ages are very suspect at best and the talk of a crazy man at worst. Klose at 30? Del Piero at 33 - just because he scored a few goals last year. Did you even watch him play? C'mon ffs.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    we have agreed a sum of £19m as compensation plus a potential further £1.3m in additional compensation." [/I]
    Basically an admission by Liverpool that they tapped up Keane. For Liverpool to pay extra "compensation" they must have felt there was a good case against them. Spurs did something similar when Chelsea took their sporting Director.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    it was definitely Champion's League, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._In...ano#Dark_Times
    Fair enough, must've got it mixed up with something else!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Totti (only peaked at 30)
    Del Piero (peak was at worst last season, 33)
    Zidane (peaked at about 31, 32)
    Trezeguet (peak now, 31)
    Cannavaro (peaked at 33)
    Toni (peak at 31 at worst)
    Crespo (peak at 30)
    Ayala (peak at 33)
    Ze Roberto (peak at 32)
    Scholes (peak at 32)
    Klose (peak at 30)

It's hardly a rare thing, different players have different life cycles. Keane is a player who's skills are technique, positioning, link up play and intelligence. Torres is a player who depends on speed and reaction. Torres will likely decline once he reaches 30, Keane? There's no reason he would, physicality isn't a big part of his game.

It's a very English outlook on the game to say that a player will decline once they hit 30, hence why they lost Scholes, Carragher, continue to omit Beckham and why they won't win anything in our lifetime. Their players are given a much shorter lifespan than they should.
    this is probably the stupidest post iv ever seen. Do you even know what "peak" means???

anyway...Keane great signin for Liverpool and good for Ireland that now we wont only have O Shea and Finnan playing TOP level footy. The more players we have playing CL and challenging the better.
    Ofcourse players can improve when 28,how much he improves remains to be seen...

KEANOOOOOOOOO!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Basically an admission by Liverpool that they tapped up Keane. For Liverpool to pay extra "compensation" they must have felt there was a good case against them. Spurs did something similar when Chelsea took their sporting Director.
    this is a cop out by Levy. If he didnt want to sell then he didnt have to. hes trying to get the Spurs fans to beleive that Liverpool "made" Spurs sell rather than Ramos wanting rid of last seasons stars for some reason. The "compensation" he talks of is just trying to spin the same bull. Lots of clubs have add-ons in transfer fees where they rise depending on appearances,trophies won,goals etc etc.
    Sure United paid Everton extra money last season after they won the CL. Does that count as "compensation"?