Hamas are terrorists and Israel are tyrants.... no good guys in this one

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Save your anti-Semitic rant for another forum
    Really?? Why does criticism of Israel always have to be ‘antisemitic’? Such a childish insult to throw at someone.

I’m disgusted by Hamas but I also am disgusted at the actions of the IDF.

Does that make me an islamophobe and antisemitic?

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    most of all, across the board, i really hope there's as few civilian deaths as possible. as always, when all is said and done, i suspect the palestinian deaths will end up a multiple of the israeli deaths (in the 2014 war, there were 73 deaths - 6 civilian - on the israeli side including IDF friendly fire and a civilian having heart attacks due to noise, versus 2251 deaths on the palestinian side - 65% civilian - using UNHCR figures)

i hope this doesn't offend anyone - but yesterday i couldn't help notice similarities in a number of respects to 1916. i've no doubt in today's parlance, Connolly, Pearse and everyone else would have been considered terrorists...

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Hamas are terrorists and Israel are tyrants.... no good guys in this one
    About as reasonable a take as there is on the situation. There’s a general tendency online to paint Israel as the sole culprits in all of this but their needless land grabs and complete inflexibility is matched equally on the other side in terms of rhetoric and aggression. A question for another thread but how on earth do you even begin to fix it? The occupation and land grabbing is definitely a root cause but even if that were to be reversed, the animosity towards Israel as a nation state from Hamas and all the other players in the region likely wouldn’t stop.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    most of all, across the board, i really hope there's as few civilian deaths as possible. as always, when all is said and done, i suspect the palestinian deaths will end up a multiple of the israeli deaths (in the 2014 war, there were 73 deaths - 6 civilian - on the israeli side including IDF friendly fire and a civilian having heart attacks due to noise, versus 2251 deaths on the palestinian side - 65% civilian - using UNHCR figures)

i hope this doesn't offend anyone - but yesterday i couldn't help notice similarities in a number of respects to 1916. i've no doubt in today's parlance, Connolly, Pearse and everyone else would have been considered terrorists...
    The situation is similar - maybe more similar to the plantation in the north going back a few hundred years right thru to the subsequent “troubles” there after Irish independence - but either way the geopolitical context in the region is very different and adds a whole additional layer of complexity to the situation in the ME.

10. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    A question for another thread but how on earth do you even begin to fix it? The occupation and land grabbing is definitely a root cause but even if that were to be reversed, the animosity towards Israel as a nation state from Hamas and all the other players in the region likely wouldn’t stop.
    It's a tricky question alright. I think you're right about one of the core causes and that has to stop. I think you're right that if it stopped tinnitus, Hamas et al wouldn't stop their bombings - and that'd be a really awkward position politically, to be attacked and to turn the other cheek. But in time the animosity would heal I think. Anglo-Irish relations have healed significantly in 40 years for example.

I do get the feeling this conflict, if similar to ours, is nastier. I don't know if we ever had an equivalent attack to today for example. I think general anti-Semitism in Islam is an extra layer to contend with too.

Dervla Murphy - whose 1976 book A Place Apart is credited with a small part in achieving peace in the North - wrote her last two travel books on trips to Palestine and Israel. The petty and daily racism the Palestinians encounter is amazing; the sort of stuff you never see in the news. She reckoned the only solution was the one-state solution; Israel has its claws into Palestinian territory too much. Is that achievable? Would power sharing have been considered achievable in a generation up North when Paisley was peak bigot?

Oh, and dismissing a post as an "anti-Semitic rant" with no follow up points is just a way of avoiding an actual debate. Same as how criticism of Islam is usually islamophobic or criticism of trans stuff is transphobic. To label someone "phobic" and make them out to be the bad guys, with no other points, is just lazy. It deserves to be ridiculed as an argument

12. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    About as reasonable a take as there is on the situation. There’s a general tendency online to paint Israel as the sole culprits in all of this but their needless land grabs and complete inflexibility is matched equally on the other side in terms of rhetoric and aggression. A question for another thread but how on earth do you even begin to fix it? The occupation and land grabbing is definitely a root cause but even if that were to be reversed, the animosity towards Israel as a nation state from Hamas and all the other players in the region likely wouldn’t stop.
    Some solid points here. I would also add that there are outside influences contributing to this current conflict (namely Iran) who according to sources in America on Sunday morning were squarely behind this attack. Innocent lives on both sides have been lost because some people don't want peace in the region

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Some solid points here. I would also add that there are outside influences contributing to this current conflict (namely Iran) who according to sources in America on Sunday morning were squarely behind this attack. Innocent lives on both sides have been lost because some people don't want peace in the region
    Iran may well be behind it (financially? strategically?) - but I wouldn't trust US sources. Iran and the sanctions imposed on them are used by republicans and right leaning media to criticise Obama and Biden. There's also various lobby groups that would have a vested interest in increased sanctions on Iran. The links are there but it's easy to find sources to either downplay or overestimate. So, the extend of Iranian involvement is something I'd pause on for a little bit...

https://apnews.com/article/israel-ha...a579db79bec035

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I think we can leave it there
    If you want to continue discussing the conflict, please use the current affairs forum

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Fair play to all (except one) on a brief and civilised debate on the issue.

Now, to get back to topic, hopefully Robbie and Delap are safe.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Terrible events. Hopefully he’s doing ok. And hopefully Hamas can be brought under swift control to ensure ongoing safety of his family
    Take the apartheid shekel and you get everything you deserve.

Edit: posted when reading chronologically, before I saw Tetsujin post.
    Last edited by weldoninhio; 09/10/2023 at 9:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Save your anti-Semitic rant for another forum
    You will not post that on this forum again. Criticism of a government or state is not anti-semitism, and parrotting the claim is propagandising. I will not tolerate it here. I'm not giving an infraction for this post, but if you repeat it, I'll suspend you.

To repeat what tets said, discussion on this subject is welcome, in the CA forum. This is a football thread, keep it football please.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Ive been checking CNN, BBC and al jazeera and not one of them mentioned that we need Israel to do well in the football to give us half a chance of a play off

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    You will not post that on this forum again. Criticism of a government or state is not anti-semitism, and parrotting the claim is propagandising. I will not tolerate it here. I'm not giving an infraction for this post, but if you repeat it, I'll suspend you.

To repeat what tets said, discussion on this subject is welcome, in the CA forum. This is a football thread, keep it football please.
    Directly related to this and relating to football, is that in the UK, the premier league and the efl and most high profile clubs have adopted the IHRA definition of anti-semitism:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1922439
    https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/ann...f-antisemitism
    https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detai...f-antisemitism (etc etc)

The definition is here: https://www.holocaustremembrance.com...n-antisemitism

Anyone who reads the examples can immediately see issues with many of them. It conflates criticism of zionism and Israel with criticism of judaism. The widespread acceptance of this definition, and the accusations of anti-semitism that then follow have led to this creeping concept that any criticism of israel is by default anti-semitic.

This letter does a better job of explaining the issues people have with it: https://www.theguardian.com/news/202...f-antisemitism
    Last edited by elatedscum; 09/10/2023 at 5:50 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Thread opened in Current Affairs lads. Some interesting stuff surfacing on this.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Just one last point i'd like to make.
    At one point in time, I was particularly anti-Israeli Goalkeepers.
    And I would bet that Andy O'Brien was too at that time.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    No more "last points". And no more warnings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    No more "last points". And no more warnings.
    Maybe take the post as it was intended.
    A light-hearted way to bring it back to football.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I'm not sure Adam knows who Dudu Aouate was

Edit - crikey; he played 11 seasons in La Liga. Did not know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'm not sure Adam knows who Dudu Aouate was

Edit - crikey; he played 11 seasons in La Liga. Did not know that.
    Even one of his own team-mates broke his nose at one point.

Possibly my least favourite Ireland game ever that one at home. And the away, now I think about it....