Page 320 of 378 FirstFirst ... 220270310318319320321322330370 ... LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 7554

Thread: Robbie Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I really hate when I don't quote and my post goes on to a new page.
    I hate when you do that too. I had to go back. And then I ended up reading the whole page to figure out the context.

You are the worst. Now stand in that corner.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    So really, even if I had quoted, you would have still had to go back and read the whole page to figure out the context. I don't feel so bad now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I really hate when I don't quote and my post goes on to a new page.
    Instead of the self hate, the public exhibition and possibly embarking upon a lifelong path of self destruction, you could just have quoted the relevant post, then edited yours to make it look like you had quoted to begin with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah I know. It's just it was three hours later that I noticed it had gone on to a new page so I thought it was pointless doing so at that stage. I suppose it's never too late though so I have now amended my post. It's more a hate for the circumstance I found myself in, more than an actual hatred for myself really. I didn't quote as I thought it would appear directly underneath, it would have been a bit harsh to beat myself up too much about that... even if I do say so myself.

On a similar theme, how does one share a link but rewrite the actual link so that it looks a bit better? The way I do it, and it only works properly on Internet Explorer, is:

Copy & paste the link
    Highlight it
    Type what I want to appear without any spaces
    Use my back arrow key to go back through the words and make the spaces at this point*
    Submit the post

*If I type spaces in the first place the rest of the link reverts to regular text

This doesn't work for me on Firefox, etc and I'm sure there has to be a better way?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Yeah, I don't think anybody disagrees with TOWK's opinion that Keane "shouldn't be a certain starter". I don't think anybody has a problem with him thinking Klose is a better player either. The logic and stats used to bring about these conclusions is where the crater sized holes can be picked.
    I don't think I am being hard on Keane. He averages 1 goal - if that - a campaign against the top 3 seeds. We don't qualify for many tournaments and when we do (Euro 2012) his record still wasn't pulling up trees and we qualified in spite of ourselves. If his record was better against top 3 standard teams, that could have been the difference between qualifying and not qualifying. Fair enough. It's not just Keane's fault but he is the focal point of the team and has been for over a decade. If we were failing to qualify because we were leaking soft goals, I would judge the defender's on similar merits.

Someone compared his International record to Shevchenko. I think that's a bit of a stretch now. Even at 35, Shevchenko was one of the most impressive players at Euro 2012 in my opinion. Even when he started faltering in his final season/s at Milan and Chelsea, he still looked like a top class player for Ukraine (World Cup 2006). And Ukraine have improved dramatically in recent years but the difference in talent between Shevchenko and his teammates for a lot of years was a lot more noticeable than the difference between Keane and his teammates.

As Stutts said, I think O'Neill has a job trying to incorporate Keane into a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation.

We can't keep playing 4-4-2. The last two years under Trapattoni was a joke that kept giving and giving and giving.

Just as an addendum, I'm not knocking Keane. I just don't think anyone is exempt from scrutiny.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Change the flipping record. You've made your point a dozen times. People have responded a dozen times that it's harder to score against big teams. Everyone agrees that Keane is best suited to 442 and what implications that has.

I can think of some bad misses against the bigger teams, granted: Germany home at Croker, Czechs at home at Lansdowne and Slovakia at home but that doesn't really change anything. None affected group outcomes.

Shevchenko missed a late sitter against Liverpool in Istanbul and bottled his penalty. Does he have it for the big games? By your logic probably not. If Shevchenko was playing instead of Keane in Poland I bet he'd have barely got a sniff of the ball either.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    On a similar theme, how does one share a link but rewrite the actual link so that it looks a bit better? The way I do it, and it only works properly on Internet Explorer, is:

Copy & paste the link
    Highlight it
    Type what I want to appear without any spaces
    Use my back arrow key to go back through the words and make the spaces at this point*
    Submit the post

*If I type spaces in the first place the rest of the link reverts to regular text

This doesn't work for me on Firefox, etc and I'm sure there has to be a better way?
    Is this the 'how to retag a link' question?
    turn this
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robbi...20333864733893
    into this?
    Robbie Keane fanclub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    That's exactly what it is. Like I say, I can do it in a pretty cumbersome way. Nice move with the example link.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That's exactly what it is. Like I say, I can do it in a pretty cumbersome way. Nice move with the example link.
    You gotta keep the thread on track
    I can explain, but I forgot how confusing it can be to explain. One needs a method of explaining.

In the reply window if you do not have automatic wysiwyg mode then you have to manually select it.
    You do that by switching editor to source mode, a/A icon on left.

probably your browser doesn't allow automatic wysiwyg mode.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Change the flipping record. You've made your point a dozen times. People have responded a dozen times that it's harder to score against big teams. Everyone agrees that Keane is best suited to 442 and what implications that has.

I can think of some bad misses against the bigger teams, granted: Germany home at Croker, Czechs at home at Lansdowne and Slovakia at home but that doesn't really change anything. None affected group outcomes.

Shevchenko missed a late sitter against Liverpool in Istanbul and bottled his penalty. Does he have it for the big games? By your logic probably not. If Shevchenko was playing instead of Keane in Poland I bet he'd have barely got a sniff of the ball either.
    Exactly. When the centre of midfield is struggling (as it has been for over a decade now), obviously wingers and strikers are going to operate more on the periphery of games and struggle for decent ball. Particularly strikers. It's a huge pity that when Keane and Duff were in the prime of their careers and tearing it up with Spurs and Chelsea, it was during the phase when we often had the likes of Jon Douglas, Graham Kavanagh, a past-it Matt Holland, and Kilbane and O'Shea out-of-position in central midfield for big games. Blaming our travails between 2002 and 2012 solely on Keane is terribly unfair and smacks of a pathological dislike for Keane as a character, rather than an objective appraisal of him as an international striker.

Pour scorn on him for scoring against the likes of Cyprus and Georgia if you like, but we would have dropped seven points in three games against them in 2008/9 if not for Keane's contribution - and another four points in the two Macedonia games in 2011. And that's just off the top of my head.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You gotta keep the thread on track
    I can explain, but I forgot how confusing it can be to explain. One needs a method of explaining.

In the reply window if you do not have automatic wysiwyg mode then you have to manually select it.
    You do that by switching editor to source mode, a/A icon on left.

probably your browser doesn't allow automatic wysiwyg mode.
    Okay, once I've switched editor to source... I then click on the link icon and c&p my link in there? How do I change the way the link it displayed? What would Robbie Keane do?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Okay, once I've switched editor to source... I then click on the link icon and c&p my link in there? How do I change the way the link it displayed? What would Robbie Keane do?
    In these matters, Robbie glides along on instinct, us mere mortals have to plod a different path, in the mire of our darkness.

After you have pasted the link in the little window (Please enter the URL of your link) select OK and you are back to the body of the reply where the link is now visible.
    Zoom in on the 2nd url, in between the second parentheses ] and [/URL]
    and simply replace that url with the text of your description and that text becomes the hyperlink.
    Last edited by geysir; 24/01/2014 at 11:20 AM.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Excellent, that works!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Exactly. When the centre of midfield is struggling (as it has been for over a decade now), obviously wingers and strikers are going to operate more on the periphery of games and struggle for decent ball. Particularly strikers. It's a huge pity that when Keane and Duff were in the prime of their careers and tearing it up with Spurs and Chelsea, it was during the phase when we often had the likes of Jon Douglas, Graham Kavanagh, a past-it Matt Holland, and Kilbane and O'Shea out-of-position in central midfield for big games. Blaming our travails between 2002 and 2012 solely on Keane is terribly unfair and smacks of a pathological dislike for Keane as a character, rather than an objective appraisal of him as an international striker.

Pour scorn on him for scoring against the likes of Cyprus and Georgia if you like, but we would have dropped seven points in three games against them in 2008/9 if not for Keane's contribution - and another four points in the two Macedonia games in 2011. And that's just off the top of my head.
    That's fair enough but I actually complimented Keane on his ability to score against teams like Cyprus and Georgia but people seem to be mistaking it for derision. I would start Keane against those teams if it was up to me. I doubted the merits of starting a 34 year old Keane against teams on the level of Slovakia, Italy and Russia. 4 years ago he would have walked into the team but his performances have been declining and he never really looks like scoring. So it's not an agenda. It's purely strategical and tactical. What is the best way to approach games on their merits against i.e. France and what are the best ways to accommodate Pilkington, Ireland, Reid, Hoolahan, O'Kane, Long, Stokes, Brady and the myriad options we have.

v France, Germany, Slovakia; Keane may be a peripheral figure and may go the entire game without having a shot on goal. He's not/no longer sharp enough to take advantage of a goalscoring opportunity on 75 minutes after being neutralised for the preceding hour and 15 minutes.

v Faroe Islands, Cyprus, Georgia; Keane thrives against these defenders. Even at 34, he may have lost a yard of pace but his mental sharpness and experience still gives him the edge to net goals against these opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In these matters, Robbie glides along on instinct, us mere mortals have to plod a different path, in the mire of our darkness.

After you have pasted the link in the little window (Please enter the URL of your link) select OK and you are back to the body of the reply where the link is now visible.
    Zoom in on the 2nd url, in between the second parentheses ] and [/URL]
    and simply replace that url with the text of your description and that text becomes the hyperlink.
    Jebus, complicated or what!
    1. Type out the text e.g Click here for story
    2. Highlight that text
    3. Click the link button (Little Globe with a chain link bottom right)
    4. Paste your link in there and hit Ok.
    Done.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Jebus, complicated or what!
    1. Type out the text e.g Click here for story
    2. Highlight that text
    3. Click the link button (Little Globe with a chain link bottom right)
    4. Paste your link in there and hit Ok.
    Done.
    Much better.
    Some browsers don't allow for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Nice one, they'll both be useful. Think Geysir's way might work better on my phone as highlighting can be awkward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Robbie's game has always been about quickness upstairs, not at his feet. That and his instincts and movement.

I don't feel any of this has diminished in recent years, despite his move to MLS, and feel if he returned to England with a top 10 team would continue to score goals at a rate he did in his so-called "prime."

Additionally, I think MLS has benefitted him in that he has had to take more responsibility on than ever before -- while he's generally been looked at as a central player wherever he has played, the focus on him as an individual has never been greater. With only three designated players (at most) on each MLS team, all of the energy from opponents is on shutting him down, in a way that would never happen in a top league like England's.

In my view, dropping him would not improve us as there aren't two strikers of superior quality -- in fact, there isn't one individual striker better than Keane we have available IMO.

His strike rate in our last campaign shows he's still got it -- I expect him to start and contribute for this next campaign, and he can likely at least come off the bench if he still wants to for our WC 2018 campaign.

I feel like I've been making posts along these lines for the better part of half a decade, and at some point Father Time will force me to change my tune, but Robbie's still got it and is still our best option up top.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Shay Given. Only kept clean sheets against the small teams.

26. Thanks From: