Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Robbie appeared on Sky Sports' 'Goals on Sunday' this morn:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Is that a corset or a bullet-proof vest he's wearing over his plaid shirt?
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Keane: Me left Liverpool too soon.
    http://www.koptalk.co.uk/20131124735...-too-soon.html
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    First time i've heard Robbie really speak his mind. He usually says nothing of any interest or controversial but he had a bit of a go at Benitez there. Delighted to see. Not a Liverpool fan but reckon Robbie wasn't treated very well by Benitez. Don't think Benitez ever wanted him there
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I wouldn't blame Benitez for being p!ssed of with the owners forcing Robbie on him. After that though, Rafa's ego got in the way of the possibility of Keane being a success there. After his amazing goal against Arsenal and brace at home to Bolton he was dropped to the bench. It was as if Rafa was afraid the owners were being proved right. Fair enough the preferred system that season was playing Gerrard off of Torres but it would still have been worth holding on to Keane as N'Gog was the only back up for Torres. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that selling/refusing to play Keane quite possibly cost Liverpool the league.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 25/11/2013 at 4:15 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Is that a corset or a bullet-proof vest he's wearing over his plaid shirt?
    Yes, probably for his trips to play Baltimore Ravens.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Robbie having surgery:
    Robbie Keane's ailing Achilles' tendons will go under the knife Wednesday as the Irish striker looks to complete some needed maintenance in his first extended offseason in years.

The LA Galaxy captain, a finalist for MLS' Most Valuable Player award, is in London for the surgeries, he told local media during a conference call on Tuesday morning.

“I've got to get some procedures done tomorrow on the Achilles problem,” said Keane, who has dealt with the problem for several years and this year missed assorted games because of it. “I'll get that done, and then it's rest and a lot of rehab, so that's mainly what I'll be doing [during the offseason].”

Keane led the Galaxy with 16 goals and 11 assists in just 23 MLS regular-season games -- he scored 20 goals in all first-team action -- and LA were a far different team when he was on the field (12-4-7, with 44-19 goals for/against) than when he wasn't (3-7-1, 9-19).

“You get nothing for nothing in this life. You have to earn it,” Keane said. “To be honest with you, this year we didn't deserve it. We were too kind of inconsistent. We didn't deserve it this year, so sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and just accept it.”

The Galaxy's loss to Real Salt Lake in the Western Conference Semifinals, a month before the Dec. 7 title game, provided a lengthy break that Keane acknowledged would be helpful.

“[The tendons have] been bothering me for a long time, and this is an opportunity to get it done,” he said following the decisive second-leg loss in Utah. “It will be nice to have an extended break, but not too long.”
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...lans-take-exte
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    I can only imagine the talk of him returning to the EPL will take a hit over this.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I wouldn't blame Benitez for being p!ssed of with the owners forcing Robbie on him. After that though, Rafa's ego got in the way of the possibility of Keane being a success there. After his amazing goal against Arsenal and brace at home to Bolton he was dropped to the bench. It was as if Rafa was afraid the owners were being proved right. Fair enough the preferred system that season was playing Gerrard off of Torres but it would still have been worth holding on to Keane as N'Gog was the only back up for Torres. I don't think it's too far of a stretch to say that selling/refusing to play Keane quite possibly cost Liverpool the league.
    Old ground, but it was Rick Parry's involvement in this one, not the owners. The dropping of key offensive players was part of a system Benitez used, but if you're looking for the straw that broke the camels back moment, it was the fluffed opportunity away to Atletico in the CL that made Benitez go crazy by all accounts. Cost Liverpool 3 points and meant he couldn't play a weakened team in the remaining CL match.

You're wrong about Robbie being sold costing Liverpool the league. They were excellent after the transfer window. Robbie played in the matches against fulham, everton, spurs, west ham, coming on away to Wigan, where Liverpool dropped points.
    So no.

I'm a self-confessed fanboy of Benitez, and while he made plenty of mistakes that season, Robbie wasn't one of them. Gerrard-Torres was unplayable for most of that season. It was on the flanks where there was trouble, not up top.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    I hate the term "up top"! Everyone's using it now. It sounds OK if you're a north of England hick.

I also hate that the term "match up" is commonly accepted now. We heard a guy use the term in USA 94 and we nearly wet ourselves laughing.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    You're wrong about Robbie being sold costing Liverpool the league. They were excellent after the transfer window. Robbie played in the matches against fulham, everton, spurs, west ham, coming on away to Wigan, where Liverpool dropped points.
    So no.
    I said a combination of Rafa selling/refusing to play Keane possibly cost Liverpool the league. Keane saw no game time in a 0-0 draw at Stoke, even though Torres didn't start the match. They drew 2-2 at home to Hull with Torres out injured and Keane wasn't even brought on (even though they trailed 0-2 at one point). They also drew 1-1 at home to City shortly after Keane leaving and lost 2-0 at the Riverside with Torres, again, out injured. I'm sure there are another couple of examples but the worst bit was dropping him completely when he hit a mini purple patch. It obviously did nothing for his confidence even when he was recalled. There's no way of knowing if Keane would have made a difference in these games but Liverpool only lost the league by a small margin that season. It's at the very least a possibility he could have turned a couple of draws into wins so I'm not sure how I can be deemed factually "wrong".

Just think of the little, yet massive, contribution Federico Macheda made for United the same season. He turned two points into six with consecutive winners against Villa and Sunderland... United won the title by four points.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 28/11/2013 at 1:26 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Robbie's on the Late Late Toy Show, came out on crutches to surprise one of his young fans. Legend.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He must have got the work done in dublin.

He was tripped over one of the toys and started waving his hands,and then as he left THR floor he spat on the ground.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What arse? She's so skinny she barely even has one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He must have got the work done in dublin.
    He went under the knife in London last Wednesday. The whole event was documented here in spectacular fashion: http://balls.ie/football/pictures-ro...ne-goes-knife/

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    That was amazing. I wish I was still as enraptured by footballers as that kid.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Footage of Domhnall meeting his hero:

She's slightly hungover this afternoon, but his reaction brought a tear to my girlfriend's eye when we watched the clip and she's not even Irish.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I hope she is from Brazil or Spain or Argentina or even German.

If so impregnate her quick and get the passport sorted.