Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 307 of 380 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,140 of 7589

Thread: Robbie Keane

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Keane's entire demeanour shows just how easy he's finding it out there. He's not being challenged at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Keane's entire demeanour shows just how easy he's finding it out there. He's not being challenged at all.

What kind of demeanor Charles.... are you saying it's good or bad that he's out there? On a physical and confidence level, I think it was probably an inspired move from him in hindsight to join the Galaxy....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Charlie is always in a bad and sarcastic mood lately. It's that kind of attitude that drove SkStu to resign from this board after 9,000 posts. Which i find regrettable.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    What kind of demeanor Charles.... are you saying it's good or bad that he's out there? On a physical and confidence level, I think it was probably an inspired move from him in hindsight to join the Galaxy....
    He barely even celebrates the first two goals. He looks like a guy who's moved to an easier to prolong his (international) career.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Charlie is always in a bad and sarcastic mood lately. It's that kind of attitude that drove SkStu to resign from this board after 9,000 posts. Which i find regrettable.
    Has he really? You know that for sure?
    A bit of a shame, if so...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Of course it's for sure.
    I also blame sad, bitter and sarcy Charlie for everything.

True enough about Robbie, it takes a hat trick for him to be remotely celebratory, whereas once upon a time he use to do a few cartwheels to celebrate a tap-in against non-league standard sides.
    Bleak times ahead with Robbie's eventual retirement from international duty looming closer and closer. We haven't got anybody close to his class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    He barely even celebrates the first two goals. He looks like a guy who's moved to an easier to prolong his (international) career.

I watched the first half live online but fell asleep at half time (was 4am or something) I was driven nuts watching the first half as there was this kid upfront with Keane with a yellow mohawk (Sarvas I think?) Anyways the kid had loads of energy but no finesse and you could see Keane getting frustrated with the opportunities being wasted. I could totally get Keane's aggression after scoring the first goal as if to say "that's how you do it now lets win this bleedin' match!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Of course it's for sure.
    I also blame sad, bitter and sarcy Charlie for everything.

True enough about Robbie, it takes a hat trick for him to be remotely celebratory, whereas once upon a time he use to do a few cartwheels to celebrate a tap-in against non-league standard sides.
    Bleak times ahead with Robbie's eventual retirement from international duty looming closer and closer. We haven't got anybody close to his class.
    I blame sad, bitter Charlie for everything too. In many ways, it's your naive, childlike optimism that keeps me coming back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    I watched the first half live online but fell asleep at half time (was 4am or something) I was driven nuts watching the first half as there was this kid upfront with Keane with a yellow mohawk (Sarvas I think?) Anyways the kid had loads of energy but no finesse and you could see Keane getting frustrated with the opportunities being wasted. I could totally get Keane's aggression after scoring the first goal as if to say "that's how you do it now lets win this bleedin' match!"
    Fair enough - I didn't see the full game - but this must happen in most games because he rarely seems to be that excited and some of the goals he scores look almost pathetically easy. He must at some level be going to himself 'what am I doing here?'

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Robbie will come in for Hoolahan and Long will keep his place for the Sweden game. So said Daniel McDonnell after attending a post-match press conference of Trap's during the week.
    I don't think Trap needed to confirm it. Everyone and his dog could've guessed that. Keane for Wes, Aiden for Robbie B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I thought Brady had done enough to prove his defensive prowess but Trap obviously was observing him a lot better than I could on the TV coverage. Clark showed against Austria that it really only takes one lapse of concentration to lose you points, and Trap's game is all about 100% concentration and cutting out mistakes. The Austria game was an anomaly because we got two good goals, but the reality is we won't often score more than a goal in a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    He must at some level be going to himself 'what am I doing here?'
    Ah yeah I'd say there's moments like yesterday at the start of an English season where he'd get a bit nostalgic for the EPL.... but like all high achievers he has an ego and I'm sure the fact he's playing for the current champions in North American strokes that ego of his enough.

You sense Keane's image is important to him....and the fact that he is in the States with Galaxy adds a certain mystique and glamour to his profile in the eyes of others (especially outside Ireland I'd reckon).
    For example, because of his international profile now I'd say the likes of Austria will pay closer attention to him in the buildup to Vienna game than say if he was a bit part player for Fulham or Crystal Palace in the EPL.....

What is it Trap says? You need your "famous" players to worry opposition....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Ah yeah, but I think Keane is a competitor in the way somebody like Beckham isn't. Beckham was satisfied playing in MLS because it was focused on him and his natural ability and athleticism meant he wouldn't decline that much as a player. Robbie needs a higher level of competition, in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Robbie needs a higher level of competition, in my opinion.
    I'm sure there's times when the likes of himself and Donovan think why am I here? Though maybe Donovan has more of a laid back west coast mentality than Robbie to be honest...
    It's some credit to Keane that after 2 years there it's still clear that he gets annoyed on the field by the mediocrity of play around him at times....
    I think the outlet of "higher" football with Ireland eases the pain somewhat...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    For the American players like Donovan (and now Dempsey), there is a huge premium to living in your own country and being the big star, even if it means playing below your natural level. An Irishman moving to England isn't the same cultural shock as an American going to Europe, hence why so many Irish internationals wind up staying in England after they retire. And to be fair to Donovan, he can still perform at a high level in spite of the league he plays in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    And to be fair to Donovan, he can still perform at a high level in spite of the league he plays in.
    Yeah Donovan is a bit of a freak the way he initially failed in Germany, made it MLS and then enjoyed success in Europe second time around with Everton and internationally with USA.

Clint Dempsey moving back boggled the mind though (ok the money) but he had at least another two good EPL years in him... I mean you could see signs that Cahill, Henry and Keane to some extent were on the wane legs-wise prior to heading stateside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I was shocked by his return to MLS too, but I think it goes to show that all footballers have conflicting motives to some extent. For Dempsey, it makes financial sense to wind down his career in the MLS and it probably suits his body in terms of preparing for the World Cup in 2014, however it must be somewhat of a humiliation for him after agitating for a move from Fulham so he could compete at the top level. I suppose Keane endured something similar when he left Spurs for Liverpool and was never able to return to the same level of performance in club football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    From the BBC live reporting web page

On this day 1999
    Robbie Keane, 19, became the most expensive teenager in British football, completing a £6m move from Wolverhampton Wanderers to Coventry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I remember that day well. Remember tuning in to Premier League live too for his debut vs Derby I think it was. Got 2 goals also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Finally got a chance to play for his boyhood team in Coventry.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Er, no.