Page 114 of 380 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 7589

Thread: Robbie Keane

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    A somewhat amusing thing is that according to 'my bible' the Actim index Robbie Keane is the 31st best player in the Premiership amd the 5th best Liverpool player, despite the fact that he has not been playing much of late.
    I don't know exactly how points are allocated but you certaintly don't get points for not playing.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else in the top 100 was not getting a game for his club, I am not going to do the leg work myself, but I am sure those of you who follow a particular team will be able to spot a player who is in the top 100 but not getting a game (and is fit/not suspended).
    http://www.premierleague.com/page/Ac...,12306,00.html

I mean does Benitez really think he is not good enough to play or is he just 'resting' him?

Benitez said, as quoted by the Sun: “We have a good squad and Keane was not selected. I have not seen him, so I don’t know how he has reacted.

Oh I think you do know how he reacted Mr Benitez, he reacted by not turning up

It seems like Benitez is not the brightest crayon in the box. (or should I say manager's dugout?).
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 27/01/2009 at 2:50 AM.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Could Robbie really end up back at Spurs? Would the fans take him? It is kind of a slap in the face to leave and then beg back when it doesn't work out for you at the bigger club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    He should have never left Spurs. After years wondering around clubs he found a home. He was loved by the crowd, won a trophy, 2 top 5 finishes and Europe most seasons. It was never going to get any better for Robbie. I don't think Harry Redknapp would sign him, after signing Defoe.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I wonder who'll leave Anfield first, Robbie or Benitez? Benitez is playing hardball with the owners of the club over his contract and having total control of footballing matters and I'm not sure he'll win in the end.

In an odd way, I think that if Ireland duty offers him a sanctuary from his troubles we'll get the benefit. During the latter part of Kerr's tenure I think our bigger players felt Irish duty was an unwelcome distraction from their bubble-like existence in England. Now I think they'll look to Irish duty as an escape from the slog of their day jobs.

The more I consider Benitez the more I think that the only thing he has brought to the English game is a touch of dignity and even that is fading away now. His tactics are miserable and couldn't contrast more with United or Arsenal - and Scolari's Chelsea too I suppose - who in their own different ways play attractive attacking football. Over the course of a season United's approach will win more marginal games than Liverpool's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    He should have never left Spurs. After years wondering around clubs he found a home. He was loved by the crowd, won a trophy, 2 top 5 finishes and Europe most seasons. It was never going to get any better for Robbie. I don't think Harry Redknapp would sign him, after signing Defoe.

its easy to say that now but to be fair to him he's been given a chance of actually winning things while in his prime so who could begrudge him taking that chance?

i've not always sung Robbie's praises on here but to be fair to him he's just never been given a fair go of it at the top clubs he's played at. Inter - signed by Lippi who was subsequently sacked a few months later only to be replaced by a manager (ironically Tardelli) who obviously just didn't like him.
    And now Liverpool, seemingly signed by the board for a manager who just doesn't seem to know where to play him...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    In an odd way, I think that if Ireland duty offers him a sanctuary from his troubles we'll get the benefit. During the latter part of Kerr's tenure I think our bigger players felt Irish duty was an unwelcome distraction from their bubble-like existence in England. Now I think they'll look to Irish duty as an escape from the slog of their day jobs.
    The above point was very relevant in the latter end of the McCarthy era, there were a number of players (Kilbane, Breen, McAteer) who werent having the best of times at their own clubs but when it came to playing for ireland they were given a welcome distraction and a new lease of life and overall played very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...rafael-benitez

Keane/Benitez article with some interesting comments within the blog. Worth a read.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    I have it from a good source that Robbie will be loaned out to Cowdenbeath.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I have it from a good source that Robbie will be loaned out to Cowdenbeath.
    A step above Sheffield Wednesday but cmon!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts

No Carlsberg on Benitez's shirt I see.

Knowing Benitez though, Robbie could start the next 3 games, score a rake of goals and find himself warming the bench for the 4th game. Strange system he operates.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    James Lawton quote

"A huge part of the problem, no doubt, is that just as Keane and Torres failed to establish a natural rapport, the one struck up between the Spaniard and Gerrard is at times nothing less than sublime."

How many games have Keane and Torres played together this season? Torres has either been injured or Bentiez didn't have the balls to play 4-4-2. To call it a failure is OTT.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=110669

Eirebhoy, we don't all spend our days shuffling through random loony websites

And how dare you accuse me of plagiarism! The Bullsh!t rumour actually came from Talksport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    How many games have Keane and Torres played together this season? Torres has either been injured or Bentiez didn't have the balls to play 4-4-2. To call it a failure is OTT.
    According to this[/url] - http://www.footballanorak.com/custom_team_performance.html?team_id=3&players[starts][617]=on&players[starts][1766]=on - they've started only 7 games in the Premiership out of 22
    Won 3, Drawn 4, Lost 0

Just as comparison, Torres and Gerrard have started 6, won 4, drawn 2, lost 0 - http://www.footballanorak.com/custom_team_performance.html?team_id=3&players[starts][43]=on&players[starts][1766]=on
    Keane and Gerrard have started 13, won 8, drawn 4, lost 1 - http://www.footballanorak.com/custom_team_performance.html?team_id=3&players[starts][617]=on&players[starts][43]=on
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    starts on the bench tonight for Liverpool.
    Gerrard and Torres up front
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    I thought for a while Benitez was just trying to motivate him in some old school coach psych thing but no, he just plain thinks Robbie cant help. (Or thinks he stinks, I mean lets be honest.)
    Not a good sign for Robbie at LFC in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Torres off with 20 minutes to go and..........Riera on.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Wigan got penalty as Robbie was warming up.
    They scored 1:1
    Robbie on now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Wigan got penalty as Robbie was warming up.
    They scored 1:1
    Robbie on now.
    Delighted they got pegged back again, some strange substitutions by Benitez. Unless they beat Chelsea on sun that is the end of their challenge and unless they win the CL this season, i think Benitez will be gone during the summer. They have not won a single game since his "outburst", good man rafa!!
    Rafa out i think is keanes best chance at pool at this stage.