Robbie. I normally look at 4th or 5th place in the table when looking for
    Liverpool.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon 7 View Post

Kuyt for all his limitations has actually given more but Benitez seems to have a blind spot regarding him in that if he's having a stinker (like yesterday) he never replaces him while Keane gets hauled off no matter how he's performing.
    Just had a look at the short highlights on MOTD2 and Kuyt had assists for both goals.

Benitez seems to have totally lost faith in Keane, it's a pity for the national team, but hopefully he'll get another chance soon and get on a bit of a scoring run. Isn't he traditionally much better in the second half of the season anyway?

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Normally I'm very critical of Kuyt, but he's been one of Liverpool's best players this season.

He's consistently scoring or setting goals up every game, and the pressure is on with Torres out.

Keane has been given plenty of match time this season and hasn't finished some sitters.

I agree that he hasn't been utilized in a way that would get the best out of him, but at the end of the day your tactical instructions aren't to blame if you can't score a tap in.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    And the facts say that he has failed to get results (and therefore deploy appropriate tactics) against Stoke, West Ham, Fulham and Hull.
    I can see some of the points you are trying to make in your posts, but I'd disagree with the above opinion - I don't think a failure to get a result means that inappropriate tactics were necessarily the reason for that failure.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have watched just about all Liverpools games this season and Keane has had plenty of chances to impress but has been awfull. Earlier in the season he was missing sitters but more worryingly when he has played of late he hasnt even had many chances, he seems nervous to make his usual runs and I believe the other Liverpool players have lost confidence in him, they seem to pass to other players when Robbie is in a better position.

Not looking good for him, sometimes its best to keep your dream of playing for your favourite club as a dream.
    'I can't even remember when the Seventies was.' - ROBBIE KEANE

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts
    I reckon he will go back to Spurs.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I reckon he will go back to Spurs.
    Spurs can do a deal with Liverpool because they are still waiting on a huge lump sum payment. Spurs can just say to them that they can cancel that little arrangement (I've heard it's at least 10 million) and just have Robbie back. Liverpool as a result have only wasted 10 million.....Still a big loss but Benitez clearly doesn't rate him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    So, getting back to a discussion we had earlier. Has Robbie Keane's move helped Ireland?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Keane is an overrated player who never produces in the big matches..

Hes worth at most 6/7m...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    i'd really like him to stick it out. benitez is playing the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" card and is really benefitting from the other top clubs' inconsistency. i think chelsea will win it but getting o.t. here. if he does move i guess i'd rather see keane move to villa but only if doyle goes there too
    zombie/thread killer..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,714 Posts
    The disappointing thing about this is that Robbie’s move to Liverpool really doesn’t answer the question of whether he’s a top 4 calibre player or not. Sure, the results are plain to see in terms of goals but I really query how Benitez is using him / treating him, though maybe Torres’ repeated absence has at least part-dictated this.

I hope he stays and puts a run together.

I don’t think his move has been either positive or negative for Ireland. He’s always been his own player when he comes over, but whereas in the past things when weren’t going well he could return to his bubble-like world at Spurs I think he may actually feel more at ease in the Ireland camp than at his club these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think some of us may have learned that he really isnt versatile and can only play in one system. That is with a partner who plays with his back to goal with good feet. Like with Berbatov and Quinn or potentially with Crouch. There is no way he is a lone striker, we all knew that before hand, but he cant seem to link with Torres, he cant play wide right and he cant play in the hole (though, to be fair, Rafa has hardly tried him here). He can only play in a strict enough 4-4-2 system with a certain type of strike partner. Roussel, Kanoute, Mido, Viduka, Berbatov, Quinn....

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    787 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex View Post
    Yep, overrated enough as follows:

All Irish Time Goalscorers
    35 Robbie Keane
    21 Niall Quinn
    20 Frank Stapleton
    19 John Aldridge, Tony Cascarino, Don Givens
    14 Noel Cantwell
    13 Gerry Daly
    12 Jimmy Dunne

NEVER scores in big matches. To me all our qualifers are BIG matches. This irritating rubbish that you're only a great player if you score against the likes of Brazil, Germany (oops, he's done that), Spain (oops, he's done that), etc

I'll take an "overrated player" anyday, thank you.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There more to strikers then sticking the ball in the net. Remember Andy Cole?

I dont think Robbie has done as bad as what most people think. I think he needs to be given way more time and deserves a run that is worth that.

Yes he has wasted some good chances but soon enough I think his luck will change. Thats if Rafa gives him time to be able to do that.

One vital goal is all it may take for him to kickstart his career at the pool. He needs time and patience from the Liverpool and Irish fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Condex View Post

Hes worth at most 6/7m...

Anyone that knows anything about football would see that Keane is not an out and out goalscoring striker.

And he does score against the bigger sides anyways. For Example Czech Republic in 2000, Holland in 2000, Iran in the play-offs in 2001, Germany in 2002, Spain in 2002, Czech Republic again in 2004, Sweden in 2006, Denmark in 2007 and we wouldn't have beaten Cyprus if it wasn't for his goal in October. All of those teams mentioned are top class international sides he scored against.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Yep, overrated enough as follows:

All Irish Time Goalscorers
    35 Robbie Keane
    21 Niall Quinn
    20 Frank Stapleton
    19 John Aldridge, Tony Cascarino, Don Givens
    14 Noel Cantwell
    13 Gerry Daly
    12 Jimmy Dunne

NEVER scores in big matches. To me all our qualifers are BIG matches. This irritating rubbish that you're only a great player if you score against the likes of Brazil, Germany (oops, he's done that), Spain (oops, he's done that), etc

I'll take an "overrated player" anyday, thank you.

Agreed, i cant stand the people that come on this site and say that we would be a better team without Keane etc etc what nonsense. his record is phenomenal!

Very much like we have struggled to fill Roy Keane's boots in the team now, Robbie Keane will certainly be missed for a long time when he retires and that says alot about a player.

For example, alot of us would consider Doyler a damn good player but he is very unlikely to get even near the amount of goals for us that Robbie has.
    Last edited by elroy; 16/12/2008 at 2:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L37Ultra View Post
    Anyone that knows anything about football would see that Keane is not an out and out goalscoring striker.

And he does score against the bigger sides anyways. For Example Czech Republic in 2000, Holland in 2000, Iran in the play-offs in 2001, Germany in 2002, Spain in 2002, Czech Republic again in 2004, Sweden in 2006, Denmark in 2007 and we wouldn't have beaten Cyprus if it wasn't for his goal in October. All of those teams mentioned are top class international sides he scored against.
    You probably should have stopped after Denmark!

You're right though. I cant understand where this Robbie Keane hate brigade came from. Right now he isnt doing all he should, for either club or country, and I do think giving him the Irish captaincy was a mistake and the last qualifying campaign under Stan were probably his worst games ever in an Irish shirt, but those goals that he has scored, all that good that he has done, that doesnt just disappear. That talent is still in there. I think we need to stop him from roaming around the field as much and get him to do more work away from the midfield and just in the final third. We also need to get out of his head, what I see, as some selfdelusional qualities where he seems to try and do things too complicated. He is a gifted goalscorer and should try and simplify his game a bit better again. That was when he was at his best. First time shots, one touch and turn shots, quick passes...these were Robbies trademarks in his prime. Now, he insists on taking 3 or 4 touches before doing anything or that irritating step over which I dont think has ever worked.

In short, Robbie has disappointed me over the last 2 years, but the good Robbie Keane that Liverpool spent £20 million on is still in there. I am sure of it

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerNThongs View Post
    but the good Robbie Keane that Liverpool spent £20 million on is still in there. I am sure of it
    The irritating bit is that he was probably only worth half that at the very most.
    Lawrenson did say on Matt Cooper last night that Pool have probably only payed out 5m in down payments on him and also said that he spoke to Gerrard last weekend and they share the same agent and Steven had told him he wouldn't be surprised if he does go in the January window.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    The irritating bit is that he was probably only worth half that at the very most.
    Lawrenson did say on Matt Cooper last night that Pool have probably only payed out 5m in down payments on him and also said that he spoke to Gerrard last weekend and they share the same agent and Steven had told him he wouldn't be surprised if he does go in the January window.
    I disagree...in a league where Andy Johnsons transfer fee rose by £2million during his goal shy spell at Everton to £10.5 million, I think Robbie is worth way more then the £10 million you rate him at....now if you bring in the over inflated EPL transfer rates argument, we're onto a whole other debate!

Anyway, I heard that too. I'm sure Gerrard will thank Lawro for that too!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerNThongs View Post
    There is no way he is a lone striker, we all knew that before hand, but he cant seem to link with Torres, he cant play wide right and he cant play in the hole (though, to be fair, Rafa has hardly tried him here). He can only play in a strict enough 4-4-2 system with a certain type of strike partner. Roussel, Kanoute, Mido, Viduka, Berbatov, Quinn....

I think he can play in the hole.. The issue here is not Keane and/or Torres, it's Keane and Gerard. He should stick it out the season at the very least. There'll be a time when Gerard will be unnavailable and we'll see the best of Keane...

I'm not saying that'll be the best for Liverpool, I just think he'll do himself more justice if he doesn't have to tailor himself to the free reign Gerard is rightly or wrongly given.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com