Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Rooney - 6 goals, 4 assists
    Keane - 4 goals, 4 assists
    Tevez - 1 goal, 2 assists

Tevez hasn't played much but hardly ever looks like scoring and Keane can work just as hard in deep positions if he didn't concentrate on the goalscoring part.
    Make that 5 goals for Tevez now

Rooney has been woeful this season. Still seems to be picking up MOM awards though which bewilders me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    The problem as I see it is that last season Liverpool had Torres who could literally create and score goals out of nothing by himself. They would knock the ball up to him and he would knock it past two defenders, outpace them and dink it over the keeper. Either that or he would get the ball 30 yards from goal, turn a defender and blast it into the net. The amount of goals he scored off his own bat last season was incredible.

Robbie can't do that. You have to be creating goal scoring chances for Robbie because he can't do what Torres does and Liverpool in most of their recent games and just not creating chances for him. Admitedly it hasn't helped that he missed a couple of sitters earlier in the season. The one against Bolton especially was a terrible miss so his confidence must be fairly low at present.

One of his best games for Liverpool was in the derby against Everton where he had two assists and played alongside Torres. Unfortunately for Keane the two of them just haven't been on the field together enough.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    According to the tabloids today Benitez is willing to let Keane go in the January window. Strange one that if true. No way will Liverpool recoup ther money (unless Mark Hughes is interested).

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    The tabloids might be right. The Torres-less Benitez has left Keane on the bench for today's match against Blackburn. Would he be able to go back to Tottenham? The last thing we need is our captain and best player on the bench and short of match fitness.

Get out while you can Robbie! You need ninety minutes a week with a lower club.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    The tabloids might be right. The Torres-less Benitez has left Keane on the bench for today's match against Blackburn. Would he be able to go back to Tottenham? The last thing we need is our captain and best player on the bench and short of match fitness.

Get out while you can Robbie! You need ninety minutes a week with a lower club.
    From the BBC site. Time to go Robbie
    1623: Oof, that's got to hurt. Ryan Babel comes off for Liverpool and he is replaced not by Robbie Keane but by Nabil El Zhar.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    3 subs used(el zhar, lucas, riera). Not looking good for Robbie. Ok, he hasn't played too well from what I've seen of him. Hasn't been his confidence self.
    But Benitez hasn't been using him properly either. Both parties to blame.

January transfer window is key now for Robbie, can go two ways.
    1. They sell him. Might work out for Robbie, might not.

2. They buy a target man. Santa Cruz would be an astute buy. Robbie
    could thrive with a big man again.

Unfortunately Benitez has a negative view on football and in the big games
    can't drop Mascherano, Alonso or Gerrard.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I don't see Robbie leaving Liverpool this January. Torres' hamstring is suspect, and Kuyt is the only other established top flight striker they have available. He just won't get to play, which is terrible from our perspective. Who knows, if Kuyt were to get injured Robbie would get ninety minutes a match for sure.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I doubt the rumours are true. Benitez has been all praise for Keane since he has joined. Benitez tends to make some bizarre team selections every now and then, id be very surprised if Keane doesnt start in the CL next week.
    I saw most of the second half and pool didnt play great and although Kuyt works very hard, I still think they wouldve have been a better team if Keane played. Babel was very poor.

Keane does need to start scoring a few more for them though and quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Bellamy was let go after a decent first season. I have mentioned this before and got laughed out of town. If you join a 'big' club then you need to tuck away chances. Ok Benitez is not playing to his strengths but I've also seen Keane have plenty of gilt edge chances since August and he's fluffed the majority of them. Top strikers like Torres bury them. I rate Keane - don't get me wrong but he's struggling right now and giving plenty of ammo to his critics.

Leapfrogged by El Zhar? WTF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    It looks like the rumours are true and you can't get away from the fact that so far the move hasn't worked. I don't mind who he is signed with as long as he is playing regularly, something which looks increasingly unlikely at Liverpool.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    It looks like the rumours are true and you can't get away from the fact that so far the move hasn't worked. I don't mind who he is signed with as long as he is playing regularly, something which looks increasingly unlikely at Liverpool.
    Playing under Redknapp would probably be ideal for Keane at this moment in time. Like it or not Keane needs to be indulged/appreciated. We need a Keane who will take his one or two chances in the upcoming games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Like it or not Keane needs to be indulged/appreciated
    From what I've read of Benitez in Carragher's book, Keane won't get that from him. He's always bugging players to do better, never satisfied with them. He's not the one to put an arm around players when they're doing badly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Playing under Redknapp would probably be ideal for Keane at this moment in time. Like it or not Keane needs to be indulged/appreciated. We need a Keane who will take his one or two chances in the upcoming games.
    But Im not sure playing with Bent would make any sense. He's not the big /target type guy Keane likes to play off.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    But Im not sure playing with Bent would make any sense. He's not the big /target type guy Keane likes to play off.
    Couldnt agree more, Keanes best performances have when he has played alongside a target man ie Quinn, Berbatov. I think Keane and Torres will actually work quite well together given a bit of time. Its unfortunate with Torres injury because more is expected of Keane than would normally be the case. Hopefully he'll play in the CL on wed and nick a goal or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    well since we don't have a big top-class target man for keane to play off, does it matter? perhaps we should be willing him to transform his game at 'pool because we're not gonna be able to naturalize berba or peter crouch.
    zombie/thread killer..

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ken foree View Post
    well since we don't have a big top-class target man for keane to play off, does it matter? perhaps we should be willing him to transform his game at 'pool because we're not gonna be able to naturalize berba or peter crouch.
    In fairness Kevin Doyle wins alot of balls in the air, I still think that him and Robbie can be a good partnership.Didnt really work under Staunton but I think it can with better work on the training ground with Trap
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Nice pass by Keane for Liverpool's 3rd tonight. Commentator said something like "Looking at Keane's body language he's probably saying 'when has anyone looked to do that for me tonight'".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    He was non-existent in the first half, but played much better in the second. Had some nice touches. Looked like he was annoyed at Babel all night and was well justified more than once. However, he needs to quit getting upset every time he doesn't get a pass. It's getting old, real old.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Possibly his best game for Liverpool tonight. He was certainly one of Liverpool's best performers tonight, if not the best. As for the transfer talk, I seriously doubt he'll be sold in the January transfer window. There's a slim chance he'll leave next summer, but only if his performances don't improve, which is also something I can't see happening.

Also, he played as the second striker tonight, behind a target man type player (N'gog) so that's just further proof that he only works properly in a particular role.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Nice pass by Keane for Liverpool's 3rd tonight. Commentator said something like "Looking at Keane's body language he's probably saying 'when has anyone looked to do that for me tonight'".
    He played a super pass for Lucas(?) shortly afterwards too.

I think he does himself no favours with his gesticulating though, even when it's largely justified.