Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Psychology of the team

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Smile Psychology of the team

I have been watching the Republic of Ireland soccer team for many years now - not, I dare say, as the rabid supporter some here are, but with a great degree of passion and interest nonetheless.

It is quite obvious that psychologically speaking there are problems with the team (and in some cases the supporters) - the good news is they are not insurmountable.

In recent times I have noticed a growing tendency to allow the opposition to score within a few minutes of ourselves scoring, or indeed to concede goals when we have the advantage score-wise, and possession-wise. Some people like to comment that the "National Psyche" favours the underdog, the colonial past favours the honest grafter, the hard luck story. The almost, the not quites. Like a painful memory gnawing at the back of the sub-concious.
    The Saipan incident is such a memory, Switzerland (the bogey team), Israel..Cyprus.

I believe the team is in need of a pschological overhaul. They must believe in themselves. They must KNOW they can win, and KNOW they can maintain a lead.
    For years the Irish have been looking for something, anything, to pull them from the doldrums. The Charlton era coincided with an upturn in the economy..all told now the supporters EXPECT victory in almost any field. A winner attitude, unfortunately tinged with a nagging at the back of the mind "It won't last". Headline writers already have the "The good times are over" banners ready.

But the good times won't end unless you let them. The team must be reinvigorated mentally, they must be psychology battle hardened. Mentally they must be superior..the Germans are particularly good at this, remember they got beaten 5-1 by England at home, and still went on to perform admirably in major tournaments.

Obviously physical skill is important, but think of this as part of that skill. Psychologically speaking we have a way to go, but one the team achieves a perfect symmetry between physical and mental abilities, well we can become one of the best teams in the world. of that I have no doubt.

I am very impressed with the backing the supporters gave the team in Lansdowne last Wednesday, amazing! Like a psychological pat on the back to the team. A will of iron is now what the team needs to become champions, and an appetite for victory.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I think they just need a half decent manager and a professionally run national football association behind them to be honest.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I knew someone would post the above. The psychological aspect is often ignored, and that is to the detriment of all. You can get as many managers as you want, and some are better at psychological enhancement than others. However it looks like Staunton, Robson and the current FAI set up is here to stay, so all this wishful thinking is of no use whatsoever as things stand, and may be in fact a negative factor in support of the team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    May I refer you to eirebhoy's posts after the concession of a late equaliser in Israel?

I have a German friend called Hofmann (note different spelling - it's not a cunning disguise, is it?).

In the Sydney Olympics (I think) Paula Radcliffe ran 24.75 laps of the 10,000 meters final in the lead, bravely leading from the front, fending off 3 African girls.

With a quarter of a lap left the 3 Africans just sprinted past her, leaving Radcliffe for dead. She limped over the line, exhausted, demoralised and comprehensively beaten.

After the race I met my German mate & said "wasn't Radcliffe unlucky this morning?"

His response (German accent required): "No, she vas inferior".

Just shows the difference in thinking between the Germans & the Irish & British! That's psychology.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 17/10/2006 at 8:25 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    When it comes to competitive sports the psychological aspect is absolutely key, and ignored in this country to a large degree.
    People over here wallow in the past, glorious failures. I say forget that. It is true to say you can learn from past mistakes but the future mental state of the players is of utmost importance. This conceding of late goals and conceding goals within minutes of scoring shows a mental weakness in defence at least.
    That is unacceptable - a whole thread has been started predicting the likelihood of qualification - Cyprus is generally listed as a no-hoper in Dublin, a safe 3 points. I wouldn't be so sure, unless the Irish team can raise themselves from their mental game against the supposedly inferior teams. A few measly goals may be scored against San Marino..I say we should go all out for a huge goal tally - the boost that would give to the confidence of the goalscorers cannot be underestimated..they should use the weaker teams as a springboard, to exercise the pschological muscles before the harder teams come around.
    I don't think the Irish public can stand seeing someone representing their country doing badly anymore..its a hugely proud nation and the era of good-natured defeats is past. We should be proud to win, and to win well.