Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 12th man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

The 12th man

Okay, I think we're all in general agreement that our best chance of winning the semi largely depends on our being at home.

Rovers' 12th man have a responsibility to make sure that counts.
    It seems it's going to be about 3:1 Rovers to Derry fans.
    We all know Derry have large, colourful and noisy support. We also know away fans tend to make more noise.

A few suggestions
    - Drums: Anyone got access to one? Wildrover, any chance of the bodhran being resurrected?
    - Horns: Where do you get air-horns nowadays? After a couple of unsuccessful efforts, I've got hold of a bugle in working order, and could get another this week.
    - Treacy Avenue stand: Takes up one entire side of the ground, and is usually like a morgue. We need a group of hardcore in there to wake them up. Half a dozen ought to do it. Once they got cheering during the final game last season, they seemed to realise that they enjoyed it.
    - Colours: I don't know about in Sligo at the moment, but where I am, you can get 2ft x 3ft red & white flags for 2 euro apiece. If we can get a few people to throw in a tenner each, we can supply a fair few.
    - Here's another idea

So are we going to make it a day to remember? Or are we going to be back on here on the Sunday night whingeing about the atmosphere?
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If those hardcore fans would only come 2 the shed and resurect what the shed was like years back!
    it used 2 be the 12th man every home game but now very few people go to it and its losing its reputation!
    dont bother going 2 the Jinks avenue stand as we need to restore the atmosphere in the shed!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i agree with 5S, we've got to make this match a battle against 12 men for derry...make it as intimidating as possibble!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There should be 2 bodhrans there,Matty should have the drum fixed,now if only we can get our hands on the trust drum.
    Anyone in the trust on this forum,or can anyone contact them and ask them for it...il see what i can do.With the shed now back to its full state,ie the gates are gone,well almost,we should pack the shed.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    as fans we have a massive job on the 29th..we have to outsing derry fans

ill have the badhron..so will deecay...balloons....flags will be made...party poppers...fireworks[dont tell olly ].....anything that makes noise in general[mary harney?]...its our mission to create the greatest atmosphere the showgrounds has seen this century

no point talking about it yet though...first up is a little preview tomorrow....lets go practice outsinging derry...this is what we wanted for so many years...going to the best team in the country and barely giving it a thought!because we have come so far..lets go celebrate that tomorrow...get your singing voices ready lads!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Trader View Post
    The Dublin Supporters Club can test the Bog Roll situation down in Cork !
    Im off to buy the 24 pack from Tesco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgit View Post
    If those hardcore fans would only come 2 the shed and resurect what the shed was like years back!
    it used 2 be the 12th man every home game but now very few people go to it and its losing its reputation!
    dont bother going 2 the Jinks avenue stand as we need to restore the atmosphere in the shed!!!!!
    Most of my best nights in the Showgrounds were in the Shed. I'd love it to be the force it was. It's difficult, though, as a big chunk of it is closed, and the teams don't enter and exit under it anymore.
    It could still be a great intimidator of opposing teams having to defend it, but I think it would have to be restored to its old size, and also, the goals at that end could be moved back a few yards closer to the Shed.

Having said that, though, it shouldn't be a case of "The Shed or nothing". The ideal situation would be to have the whole ground going. There's been a decent buzz in the Jinks, which is great.
    Why is it, though, that people seem to think the Treacy Avenue stand is somewhere to go and quietly observe the game? It's the biggest single chunk of the ground, so it has massive potential.
    As I was saying, we need to get a group to wake up that stand.

Okay, we've had bog rolls added to the list of suggestions. Anyone have any more ideas? And I mean stuff that you will actually take action on in the next week or so (noisemakers, colours, ways of bringing the already-present-but-subdued fans to life).

Another idea: How about liaising with the club to get someone with a megaphone on the pitch with Benny half an hour before kickoff to whip things up (something more manic than just "Let's have a big round of applause"). The crowds will be in early for the semi. I'd do it myself if nobody else would.
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    Most of my best nights in the Showgrounds were in the Shed. I'd love it to be the force it was. It's difficult, though, as a big chunk of it is closed, and the teams don't enter and exit under it anymore.
    It could still be a great intimidator of opposing teams having to defend it, but I think it would have to be restored to its old size, and also, the goals at that end could be moved back a few yards closer to the Shed.

Having said that, though, it shouldn't be a case of "The Shed or nothing". The ideal situation would be to have the whole ground going. There's been a decent buzz in the Jinks, which is great.
    Why is it, though, that people seem to think the Treacy Avenue stand is somewhere to go and quietly observe the game? It's the biggest single chunk of the ground, so it has massive potential.
    As I was saying, we need to get a group to wake up that stand.

Okay, we've had bog rolls added to the list of suggestions. Anyone have any more ideas? And I mean stuff that you will actually take action on in the next week or so (noisemakers, colours, ways of bringing the already-present-but-subdued fans to life).

Another idea: How about liaising with the club to get someone with a megaphone on the pitch with Benny half an hour before kickoff to whip things up (something more manic than just "Let's have a big round of applause"). The crowds will be in early for the semi. I'd do it myself if nobody else would.

im liking your thinking

seeing that derry will have the blue stand[ya?] the main stand needs to be turned into the loudest part of the ground

i see all the people there and ...well it isnt a ****ing library....we can create an atmosphere there..and we can create an atmosphere to silence derry....its about time our fans went premier division

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Fivesilver;556911]Most of my best nights in the Showgrounds were in the Shed. I'd love it to be the force it was. It's difficult, though, as a big chunk of it is closed, and the teams don't enter and exit under it anymore.

Were you at the Waterford game? The shed is back to nearly full size!!!
    And there is plans to bring back the old changing rooms and the tunnel!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midgit View Post
    Were you at the Waterford game? The shed is back to nearly full size!!!
    And there is plans to bring back the old changing rooms and the tunnel!!!!!
    Good news. I was up for the Killester game, but can't get to Sligo much these days, being too far away and working weekends.
    Getting the dressingrooms back there would be good. I also had a good look last time I was up, and I definitely reckon the goals couldbe moved closer to the Shed.
    Still, back to my original point - let's do everything we can to get the whole ground (or as much of it as possible) buzzing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars View Post
    There should be 2 bodhrans there,Matty should have the drum fixed,now if only we can get our hands on the trust drum.
    Anyone in the trust on this forum,or can anyone contact them and ask them for it...il see what i can do.With the shed now back to its full state,ie the gates are gone,well almost,we should pack the shed.
    agreed. imagine a full shed for it...it'd be unreal.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

atmosphere

shed is back to full size great. we need to pack it out. the new stand needs loads of noise comming from it but if yee want seats yee will have to take up positions early or the rip van winkle crowd will get in first therefore yee will have to sacrifice the few pints before the game. people are going to start comming into the ground at 1.30. yes 1.30 so if yee want to take over the new stand have a plan of action because if yee do it could mean the difference between winning and losing. also lets show the country ( live audience) what we are made of. i will be helping at the match but the advise i give to yee is invaluable. yee have one shot at it. when the players come out of the tunnel and they here a massive roar it will lift them. its up to yee to make history. yee can sing and shout without being abusive. get the old songs out. let the rip van winkle crowd stand up outside for a change ( it could also be raining) yee have one glorious oppurtunity go for it lads and the final beckons!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    People should bring everything they have to add to the atmosphere and colour....from Jerseys,no matter how old,scarfs,hats,flags,balloons,party poppers(or fireworks for the more up market folks)....AND of course drums and bodhrans.air horns and the old rattlers also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars View Post
    People should bring everything they have to add to the atmosphere and colour....from Jerseys,no matter how old,scarfs,hats,flags,balloons,party poppers(or fireworks for the more up market folks)....AND of course drums and bodhrans.air horns and the old rattlers also.
    F-ck it lads, we've got one chance to win a trpophy this season, We might as well do our part. I'll be making a flag. Get eveyone who's going to wear red, even if its not a jersey c'mon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    we can make a difference.....no doubt about it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have the trust drum but the skin is gone on it so not great sound from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We all know home support can usually be outsung by a crowd 1/5th is size, so we need to instill some passion into the home support.

I think the club could help by providing prematch music, motd theme etc played out, however the speakers are of poor quality.

Any way the trust could swing something here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Okay, we've just seen what happened to Rovers against Dery with 11 v 11. All the more reason we have to make sure our 12th man has a blinder in the semi.

@Rogue Trader: Check your messages.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Oh, and could you all bring your boots with ye. After tonight there is every chance you might get a game.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Word on the street is matty wont be at the derry game because ollie davey offended him at the watreford game

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast