Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alan O'Brien and Pat Devlin

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Agent, advisor, unofficial advisor, friend or whatever semantics are being used. Why is a, at this moment in time, mediocre, unproven, reserve team player of a poor team getting in ahead of more established players such as MCPhail who is playing well for a team on the up (albeit a league below)
    McPhail and O'Brien are not competing for the same place. I'm not sure whose place O'Brien is taking here. Possibly Hunt's. But as someone pointed out Hunt is 25, O'Brien is 21.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought O'Brien's performance against the Dutch was quite good. He caused problems with his pace and gave the whole team a completely different option. He was not on long enough against either the Germans or the Czechs to have the same impact. Personally I think he should definitely be part of the squad because he brings something that no other player would bring - ie his electrifying pace.

Newcastle rate him very highly btw - the fact that they would not let him go to Wolves shows that. He is a good player and will - if he can stay injury free - be a regular starter for us in years to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
    Newcastle rate him very highly btw - the fact that they would not let him go to Wolves shows that. He is a good player and will - if he can stay injury free - be a regular starter for us in years to come.
    If that's the case then why isn't he even making the bench? He has shown nothing more than his pace so far in an Ireland shirt and didn't make much of an impact at Carlisle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post

They only said no because a) bit of an injury crisis & b) small squad. Otherwise they were prepared to allow him to go out on loan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Also, who could have been behind Dalglish's name being put forward as taking Robson's role, surely not his old mate, Devo? At least the FAI seem to have knocked that on the head fairly quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    alan o biren has been injured thats y he hasnt made the newcastle bench recently he was called up to the squad wen he was still injured nd he is rated very highly at newcastle they offered him a new contract over the summer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mossey2006 View Post
    alan o biren has been injured thats y he hasnt made the newcastle bench recently he was called up to the squad wen he was still injured nd he is rated very highly at newcastle they offered him a new contract over the summer
    He hasn't been injured the last three years
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    He was asked just that at a talk he gave in Portlaoise and he denied anyone involved was acting as an unofficial agent.
    I know he said that , ie "no one is acting in an unofficial capacity". That is typical "cute" speak by Delaney. The real question is " Is it right to allow an individual who is the agent of some players and entitled to bonus payments in the event of those players recieving caps be part of the senior teams backroom staff and in the case of the B team actually pick it..".

Personally I think suck a sceanario is wrong... however based on the publics recent reaction to Bertie taking "gifts" and "loans" I suspect many would find the above to be acceptable... the top brass in the FAI certainely do.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I think the squad's in better shape than we give it credit for.

Carsley & Douglas was the most competitive midfield combo we've had since Keane retired.

I just don't get the clamour for McPhail's inclusion. Yes, he should be watched but not automatically picked. I think McPhail's direct peers are probably Ireland & Miller, maybe Alan Quinn. Definitely not O'Brien.

Isn't O'Brien still U21 eligible anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    The real question is " Is it right to allow an individual who is the agent of some players and entitled to bonus payments in the event of those players recieving caps be part of the senior teams backroom staff and in the case of the B team actually pick it..".
    I think you will find that although Devlin will manage the team, Stephen Staunton will be selecting the squad and the only input Devlin will have into that will be to identify Eircom League players who should be considered.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    O'Brien's problem at Newcastle is N'Zogia and Duff ... both play in more or less his position and both are a lot more experienced. Personally, I think he should leave Newcastle because he is good enough to hold down a regular place at one of the lower-end EPL clubs and certainly in the Championship. My understanding of the situation is that Newcastle want to keep him because they can see he has got huge potential.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Given Devlins activities to date - getting former advisee O'Brien into the irish squad & proposing his buddy Daglish as replacement for Robson i presume the B squad will be full of Devlins current & former advisees.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He hasn't been injured the last three years
    Sure the broken leg he suffered during pre- season 2004/05 didn't slow him down at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12