0 Posts
    rise to what ?

(have a feeling niether will qualify)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    There is a difference between liking both and liking one and disliking the other. He did an article on 200 reasons why the GAA is better than soccer. Hardly the actions of someone who likes both soccer and the GAA Tom Humpreys is undoubtedly a very good writer but I view anything he says about soccer with suspicion and certainly won't put much credence on an off the cuff remark about what happens at a Walsall reserve training session.
    I think you have to have a sense of humour to read him so maybe you should avoid.....
    As for the comments on the Premiership, there is probably a chasm between the Big 4 in most countries and the rest. In Spain, for example, how often do teams outside of Barca and Real M win the league. Not very often I suspect. .
    Quite often I think you will find....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    28 times since 1928 it has gone to a non big two team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    how many times in the last 20 years?
    Barca and Madrid do not always occupy top two places....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    4 times in the last 20 years

Real madrid havent won a thing since david beckham joined them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    well then....
    It seems I was wrong...
    altho ....twice in the last 5 years....and 4 times in last ten years is still better than england

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    remind me what the swiss and ukraine game was again? oh yeah a world cup qtr final. Will ya giver over fer fecks sake. Its as plain as the nose on your face that our players are not in that bracket. Hiddink and O Neill could manage them now and they'd still be a poor quality panel
    World Cup 2nd round actully not a quarter final.
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    rise to what ?

(have a feeling niether will qualify)

actually i fancy scotland, but still i doudbt we would beat a spain or a france these days

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I see all the Premiership teams won in the UEFA Cup last night - the second tier of English teams but of course the Premiership is rubbish

More importantly I watched Robbie play for Spurs (live on Setanta). Made one goal with a nice flick but missed three good chances. Jol gave him the whole 90 minutes in the hope he'd score. At least he got in to the right position on each occasion. Needs a goal or two big time to regain his confidence.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    oWLS FAN THE GIST OF what people are pointing out is that the Spanish/French/German/Italian leagues are the benchmark

congrats on beating two Turkish teams and a Polish side - but its hardly the point we're making - with the exception of the spurs game - a commendable 2-0 away win - the other two didnt exactlty pish over moderate oppossition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    oh and I should add well done Derry - last nights 0-0 between Rapid B and PSG again shines an extremely positive light on the scale of their achievements this season. Rapid are a decent side and went far in last years UEFA cup (i half expected them to beat PSG at home)

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    oWLS FAN THE GIST OF what people are pointing out is that the Spanish/French/German/Italian leagues are the benchmark
    French - Bordeaux. I saw the Liverpool game and Bordeaux were brutal. Italian - Rangers of all teams win away in Italy. Spanish football is probably the best but take away Bayern from the Bundesliga and it's nothing to write home about.

I'd put the Premiership second behind Spain but it's not the rubbish some people like to try and portray and for any of our players to make it there means they are of a reasonably high standard, especially now that they're competing for places against the rest of the world.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I disagree strongly - I think the football played in the Premiership is not of a standard to benefit players when playing international football - outside of the big four - who are all managed by european brains with the exception of Sir Alex - and who all have the very best players. The rest of the prem do not play at their level or have the best of teh best. Theres bits n bobs of wquality here and there but overall the play is patternless, the defending clueless and its crash bang wallop football.

Italian football is in dissarray at the minute - due to well publicised problems - but it will always come good and they are the world champs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    More importantly I watched Robbie play for Spurs (live on Setanta). Made one goal with a nice flick but missed three good chances. Jol gave him the whole 90 minutes in the hope he'd score. At least he got in to the right position on each occasion. Needs a goal or two big time to regain his confidence.
    I only seen the first half but he was wrongly flagged offside when he was through one on one. I'd have liked to see if he'd have scored it.

As for Livorno, they fielded 5 first team players. Most Italian teams don't care too much about the UEFA cup. Roma and Parma went through their recent UEFA cup runs with the reserve team. Palermo beat Frankfurt last night with their reserves.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    French - Bordeaux. I saw the Liverpool game and Bordeaux were brutal. Italian - Rangers of all teams win away in Italy. Spanish football is probably the best but take away Bayern from the Bundesliga and it's nothing to write home about.

I'd put the Premiership second behind Spain but it's not the rubbish some people like to try and portray and for any of our players to make it there means they are of a reasonably high standard, especially now that they're competing for places against the rest of the world.
    yeah maybe you are right there Owlsfan, but i have seen spurs , man city , newcaslte, etc a few times this season and they all look sh ite, even liverpool look bad
    do you think that its a general decline in the standard of football worldwide?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345