Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Doyle

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    TbF to TWOK heard similar stories via my pal's FAI contact re. Trapp being 'prematurely senile' which we would usually dismiss, so the tone of his story rings true.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Trapattoni is an old man. Cox and Long are/were strikers playing at the same club. Same age. Both good looking lads. You put it past him?

He banished Marc Wilson from the squad because he thought he was someone else.

Trust me. I had the same reaction as you but my mate has a good head on his shoulders (unlike me) and he said he was really serious.
    How do you explain him playing both players in the same game, was he drunk and reckoned he was seeing double?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    How do you explain him playing both players in the same game, was he drunk and reckoned he was seeing double?
    The way it was explained was that Trapattoni thought Cox was starting every week for West Brom and scoring goals and Long was the squad player at West Brom who often times wasn't even making the bench.

He thought Marc Wilson was Keith Treacy and vice-versa.

There were a few other gems but the Cox and Long anecdote was the only really interesting thing that he parted with.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 09/03/2014 at 10:41 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The way it was explained was that Trapattoni thought Cox was starting every week for West Brom and scoring goals and Long was the squad player at West Brom who often times wasn't even making the bench.

He thought Marc Wilson was Keith Treacy and vice-versa.

There were a few other gems but the Cox and Long anecdote was the only really interesting thing he parted with.
    Right, and when they both turned up for training and Cox was clearly not the guy playing every week, what did he do? And when Cox moved to Forest, did Trapattoni still think he was started for West Brom every week? Or, possibly, maybe he got them mixed up every now and then but when it came to picking his team he knew who he wanted. Managers mix up players' names all the time - Bobby Robson was famous for it - but they're also pretty good at judging the game when the players are right in front of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Right, and when they both turned up for training and Cox was clearly not the guy playing every week, what did he do? And when Cox moved to Forest, did Trapattoni still think he was started for West Brom every week? Or, possibly, maybe he got them mixed up every now and then but when it came to picking his team he knew who he wanted. Managers mix up players' names all the time - Bobby Robson was famous for it - but they're also pretty good at judging the game when the players are right in front of them.
    Charlie, there were 23-30 players called up in the average squad. He didn't know who half of them were playing for.

For instance, unnamed player. *Hint* Not Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff or Keane; or Granny ruler.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 09/03/2014 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Charlie, there were 23-30 players called up in the average squad. He didn't know who half of them were playing for.

For instance, unnamed player. *Hint* Not Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff or Keane; or Granny ruler.
    You forgot to answer my questions.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I see a lot of myself in eirebhoy. Looking through his forum posts, I have the same kind of opinions and enthusiasm about Irish football
    Not a link I'd have made myself, if I'm honest

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    You forgot to answer my questions.
    How would he know which one is the one playing every week from seeing them in training? As for the Forest move, IDK. I believe the timeframe I was told about this was 2nd half of 2011 or first half of 2012. I think Cox was still at West Brom at this point.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    IDK but it always amazes me that there are so many posters who never comment in the International section. Its the main attraction
    True, I put this down to the highly insular nature of many L.O.I. fans T.W.O.K. They are the keepers of the flame and it's their flame. No one else's.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 09/03/2014 at 11:13 PM.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    How would he know which one is the one playing every week from seeing them in training? As for the Forest move, IDK. I believe the timeframe I was told about this was 2nd half of 2011 or first half of 2012. I think Cox was still at West Brom at this point.
    I imagine he'd be able to tell them apart once he saw them in training and said to himself "this Cox fella hasn't won a header all day" or "this Long fella has won a lot of headers today". It's the little details that give these things away.

Are you prepared, in any shape or form, to accept that maybe you and your mate is being had on?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Not a link I'd have made myself, if I'm honest
    Not in a million years, but if anybody was going to run with self delusion on such a grandiose scale, it would be TOWK.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Trap once confused TOWK with Piers Morgan.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Not in a million years, but if anybody was going to run with self delusion on such a grandiose scale, it would be TOWK.
    geysir, I know you don't like me but you don't have to keep making such cynical and stupid comments. There is honestly no need for it whatsoever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I imagine he'd be able to tell them apart once he saw them in training and said to himself "this Cox fella hasn't won a header all day" or "this Long fella has won a lot of headers today". It's the little details that give these things away.

Are you prepared, in any shape or form, to accept that maybe you and your mate is being had on?
    I don't know the player in question but my mate is good friends with him and his family going back to secondary school. We may have been had but I don't know why the player in question would make such a statement to my friend if it wasn't true. My friend was adamant that he was serious.

I'm going to ask him about it again actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Can you ask him if Trap has ever ate in Crackbird? I heard that he wandered in there looking for a steak sandwich and nobody, not even Tardelli, could convince him it was a chicken place.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Can you ask him if Trap has ever ate in Crackbird? I heard that he wandered in there looking for a steak sandwich and nobody, not even Tardelli, could convince him it was a chicken place.
    ....... I'll get right on top of that, Crosby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't know the player in question but my mate is good friends with him and his family going back to secondary school. We may have been had but I don't know why the player in question would make such a statement to my friend if it wasn't true. My friend was adamant that he was serious.

I'm going to ask him about it again actually.
    Anybody who knows football players knows they like to wind people up - it's part of the culture of football. At least the ones that don't take themselves too seriously do anyway. Cases of confused identity aren't uncommon in football, but not on the scale your friend is suggesting. If what you're suggesting is true, Trap is the greatest manager of all time, able to put out a time consisting in part of players he doesn't even know and still make it to a major finals. The suspension of disbelief that requires is staggering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Anybody who knows football players knows they like to wind people up - it's part of the culture of football. At least the ones that don't take themselves too seriously do anyway. Cases of confused identity aren't uncommon in football, but not on the scale your friend is suggesting. If what you're suggesting is true, Trap is the greatest manager of all time, able to put out a time consisting in part of players he doesn't even know and still make it to a major finals. The suspension of disbelief that requires is staggering.
    He might have wound me up because I would have just been a random fan (and it's easy to wind me up) but my mate is actually really close with him and I don't know why he would lie to me.

I would find it hard to believe but slapstick things have happened with Wilson, Treacy, Walters, Andy Reid and Kelly so it's not by any means a wild stretch of the imagination.

I never exaggerated. Trapattoni did know all the key players. It was the fringe players whose identities he had trouble remembering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He might have wound me up because I would have just been a random fan (and it's easy to wind me up) but my mate is actually really close with him and I don't know why he would lie to me.
    Because it's funny! People around here wind each other up all the time and most of us don't know one another.

Look, I have no doubt that Trap does mix people up - in fact, he has done it in public as you've said. Again, look up Bobby Robson and all the mix-ups that he's been involved in. Even when he was far from old age, he was confusing his own players. Some of the stories attributed to him are probably exaggerated too, but there's a grain of truth there too. Nevertheless, Robson was a great coach who could instantly tell whether a player was doing the job or not, and he's not going to confuse two very different players like Cox and Long on the pitch, regardless of whether he confuses their names or mixes one up with the other on a particular DVD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't think the player was on a wind-up (a) because of the close friendship and (b) my mate says he is the dryest sh*te this side of the Sahara.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast