Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aldo as boss?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billybunter View Post
    while i would love to see aldo get the job, - if the commitment is there for a prove 'world class" manager, then i'd settle for jose pekerman (argentinian coach from this past world cup. man has class, humility, and most of all, - proven track record.
    I would dance in the fcvking streets if we hired Pekerman. That would be quite a catch. Apparently the Mexicans were sussing him out before deciding to go with Sanchez and the Yanks have been sniffing about too.
    He coached the Argentine team that beat us in the 1997 Youth WC semifinal, had nice things to say about the Irish team after that match.
    The man is an absolute class act.

The thing is the FAI haven't the ability to think beyond the two isles, like a lot of people on this board apparently. Why people insist on suggesting failed British/Irish hacks is beyond me. Ye do realise there is football played outside of England and Scotland lads, right?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    It's not as simple as that really. If we lose against the Czechs and Staunton stays on then our qualification hopes are over and 90% of people want Stan out. At a wild guess I couldn't see us getting more than 50k for our matches in Croker. If Stan was let go after tomorrow's match and we got a manager in that the public were happy with I could still see us getting full houses in Croker. We're talking about a difference of around €1m per match.

Also I doubt Stan would have to be paid €2m. For a person so desperate to manage Ireland I'd say the FAI stuck quite a few clauses in that contract.
    Those are very wild figures. A manager the public are happy with? O'Neill, Pekerman, Hiddink? Ain't gonna happen. An Aldo type figure is as big a risk as Stan and if the results aren't good under him, and the probably wouldn't be, we are back at square 1 and a couple of million out of pocket.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough but at least Aldridge would be a popular choice at this stage and he would be forgiven for any further shockers in this campaign. If he failed after the next one then at least the fans could say it was their choice so there wouldn't be half as much baying for blood.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Pekerman has proven very little more than Kerr did. People go on about Kerr's negativity when we take the lead. Have people forgotten Argentina v Germany? Pekerman had world class players at his disposal and failed at the world cup.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What has Aldridge ever done in management ?

Surely someone like Curbishley(if available) would be a lot better !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Pekerman has proven very little more than Kerr did. People go on about Kerr's negativity when we take the lead. Have people forgotten Argentina v Germany? Pekerman had world class players at his disposal and failed at the world cup.
    exactly. Why didn't Messi start against the Germans? Smacked of the manager being pig headed and on an ego trip

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apparently the next Ireland manager has to have had at least one world cup win under his belt!!!! (according to some of these posts)

How things change over a few days. We would have settled for Tony Grealish on saturday night.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    It's interesting to note that Huddink, who was on everyone's wish-list for the job before Stan was appointed, did just as good as Kerr against Israel last Saturday. 2 game, 2 draws. Very Kerr-like.

For all his faults, Peckerman has done a great jobs with Argentina's underage program, plus his team did play some beautiful soccer in the World Cup. But it would be very doubtful he would come here. He, along with Klinnsman, is a frontrunner for the US and Mexican jobs. Plus I read somewhere that he is also interested in managing a club in Europe. So why Ireland?

There is a guy who I think we would probably end up with. Not saying that Stan is definitely out as Stan's team may even pull a rabbit out of a hat tonight and beat the Czechs. The man I'm thinking of by the way has finished in the top 4 in the EPL plus gotten his team to the CL Semis. Currently out of a job. Wont receive a lot of support on here though
    Last edited by Metrostars; 11/10/2006 at 3:09 PM.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    It's interesting to note that Huddink, who was on everyone's wish-list for the job before Stan was appointed, did just as good as Kerr against Israel last Saturday. 2 game, 2 draws. Very Kerr-like.

For all his faults, Peckerman has done a great jobs with Argentina's underage program, plus his team did play some beautiful soccer in the World Cup. But it would be very doubtful he would come here. He, along with Klinnsman, is a frontrunner for the US and Mexican jobs. Plus I read somewhere that he is also interested in managing a club in Europe. So why Ireland?

There is a guy who I think we would probably end up with. Not saying that Stan is definitely out as Stan's team may even pull a rabbit out of a hat tonight and beat the Czechs. The man I'm thinking of by the way has finished in the top 4 in the EPL plus gotten his team to the CL Semis. Currently out of a job. Wont receive a lot of support on here though
    David O Leary, I presume you are referring to.. I don't think so. PLease God no .. someone one can at least humour us all. Listening to de gaffa at the moment is bad enough ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    I'd welcome an inanimate carbon rod at this point!
    Jaysus dont mention ROD remember the fai are watching, we don't want to give them Ideas about a certain Mr. Collins now do we!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123