Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogey sides and favoured opponents

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Bogey sides and favoured opponents

Admittedly, with Kerry the small sample helps in discerning both, but Bray are the sole club against whom the Kingdom have yet to pick up a single point over two successive league seasons (P5, W0 D0 L5) which disqualifies Galway from contention here. By contrast, having lost our first two encounters with Cobh, one cup win and three draws make the record against the Rams most positive. Perhaps limiting the search to the last two seasons will ease with stat-crunching for other clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    A lot of it is perception over the years but UCD and to a lesser extenr Drogheda have always seemed to pinch results agaisnt better Dundalk sides. Of course this season every side is a bogey side for us. Some Rovers fans believe that all teams raise their games just against them over 50 odd years - curretly they are the team to beat so sides will treat games against champions like cup games. For a significant spell Bohs had the Dublin Derby bragging rights but over its total history Id say Rovers have had the better results. St Pats and any side in the cup until a few years ago, was always a banana skin. Harps was never fun to go to, though no matter how poor Derry were they generally managed to beat Harps against the run of play or form guide. Waterford v Dundalk in play-offs even with FAI CEOs sticking their oar in. Gortakeegan was a graveyard for Dundalk sides of varying standards too. There were more than usual league titles settled in Oriel even when Dundalk were not in a title race, against the favourites, during the 90's so it wasnt a venue that any club were that happy about needing to go to and win on the last day.

But as said the actual stats probably dont really match up with who are percieved as bogey sides and visa versa
    Last edited by Nesta99; 16/04/2024 at 3:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Galway I think are at 19 losses in a row against us which is almost statistically impossible. That being said they are our next home match and no doubt I've jinxed it. To put it into mathematical context if you said rovers had a 75% chance of winning each match (home and away combined) rovers winning 19 in a row has a probability of 0.004%

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Harps was always a tough fixture for Bohs when Harps were managed by Ollie Horgan. In fact I'd go as far as to say the start of Longs downfall as Bohs manager was the first game of the 21 season. On paper the 21 season seems good, reaching the cup final & good run in europe but that game against harps specifically was decided by an awful defensive error that became a regular occurrence for the rest of Longs tenure as manager and was a big contributor in our frankly poor league performance that year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Perception would always have been Derry and with good reason ,we in fact have a much worse record against Cork over the last 25 plus years,1 win in the last 40 I think I counted ! Recently like over the last decade UCD have been a pain aswell ,I think we’ve 1 win in the last 12 meetings against them ,I can’t think of too many favoured opponents,I suppose Limerick have bad memories against us,Bohs seemed to complain more than most about coming to Ballybofey aswell weather that was true in reality I’m not sure!
    Last edited by joey B; 16/04/2024 at 8:06 PM.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Longford could never beat Cabinteely. We had outrageous unbeaten records against Wexford and Athlone for many years as well. Went almost a full decade without losing to Athlone in any sort of game including friendlies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Derry. Felt like at one stage,maybe 2-3 years ago , that we had not beaten them in years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Derry. Felt like at one stage,maybe 2-3 years ago , that we had not beaten them in years.
    Did we go something stupid like 11 wins in a row in Dalymount? We always put it down the big pitch.
    On the bogey teams, Drogheda and Cork were ours. Drogheda probably still are, along with Sligo away. Longford back in the day, and UCD at home had a cracking record against us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Rovers definitely had developed bogey hold over Shels until our win Tolka ls this season in February

In our First Division years those long away trips to Cobh definitely stood out to me that part-time players struggled with it, just the 3 wins out of 15 matches at St. Colman's Park between 2007-2021. Cabinteely home and away also stood out as a bogey side for Shels for a period between 2017-2019 with just 1 win against them in a 9 game stretch
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    A lot of it is perception over the years but UCD have always seemed to pinch results agaisnt better Dundalk sides.
    3 draws in 20 games between 2013 and 2022! I'd have Dundalk as one of our bogey teams.

Or maybe ye were just better than us... Come to think of it, I think our bogey sides are Premier Division teams and our favoured opponents are First Division sides.

We did at least end an 18-match losing streak against Rovers in September, and Sligo didn't win a league or FAI Cup tie in Belfield between 1982 and 2006 (21 games all told). I still think of that as being relatively recent!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Galway I think are at 19 losses in a row against us which is almost statistically impossible. That being said they are our next home match and no doubt I've jinxed it. To put it into mathematical context if you said rovers had a 75% chance of winning each match (home and away combined) rovers winning 19 in a row has a probability of 0.004%
    What’s the probability for 20 in a row, as I can’t see us getting a thing out of our trip up there next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Did we go something stupid like 11 wins in a row in Dalymount? We always put it down the big pitch.
    On the bogey teams, Drogheda and Cork were ours. Drogheda probably still are, along with Sligo away. Longford back in the day, and UCD at home had a cracking record against us.
    Would have to check that one but it would not surprise me. We did not win up in the Brandywell for years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Drogheda have been Rovers bogey side during the Bradley era I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    A lot of it is perception over the years but UCD and to a lesser extenr Drogheda have always seemed to pinch results agaisnt better Dundalk sides. Of course this season every side is a bogey side for us. Some Rovers fans believe that all teams raise their games just against them over 50 odd years - curretly they are the team to beat so sides will treat games against champions like cup games. For a significant spell Bohs had the Dublin Derby bragging rights but over its total history Id say Rovers have had the better results. St Pats and any side in the cup until a few years ago, was always a banana skin. Harps was never fun to go to, though no matter how poor Derry were they generally managed to beat Harps against the run of play or form guide. Waterford v Dundalk in play-offs even with FAI CEOs sticking their oar in. Gortakeegan was a graveyard for Dundalk sides of varying standards too. There were more than usual league titles settled in Oriel even when Dundalk were not in a title race, against the favourites, during the 90's so it wasnt a venue that any club were that happy about needing to go to and win on the last day.

But as said the actual stats probably dont really match up with who are percieved as bogey sides and visa versa
    It's definitely perception rather than fact - Rovers have beaten Bohs more than any other side in our history. Even in the last 20 years, when Bohs had a relatively good time of it in the derby, Rovers have won more.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts
    Pats have a stinking record in Tallaght in recent years, with the last win there being in early 2016. The Brandywell has also been a bogey trip, I think a late season win in 2019 is the only win there since 2015 (aside from beating them on penalties in the cup last season)
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Would have to check that one but it would not surprise me. We did not win up in the Brandywell for years.
    Ended in 2018. We had 10 wins in a row against Bohs home and away, and 10 wins in a row at Dalymount. Mad really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Bogey teams for us this season are Rovers / Galway / Sligo / Pats (a) / Waterford / Shels / Drogs / Derry / Pats (h) and Bohs
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Drogheda have been Rovers bogey side during the Bradley era I think.
    Yep 100%

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Drogheda have definitely been our bogey side in recent years. Shels are a bit like an evolved Drogheda so they may take that mantle. Both sides rarely lose their shape and can hit you on the break which is how to beat us. Unless you're from the continent of course. Then you can beat us any which way you please.

I enjoy games against bohs for the atmosphere and fairly good chance of a win but if it was a case of picking a side to play to secure a cup or league it'd have to be Galway. Which of course would be the time they beat us.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Treaty failed to beat Galway United in 11 attempts.

Otherwise we have cruised past Longford Town with just one loss in eight meetings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast