Page 335 of 405 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345385 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,700 of 8097

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    https://www.sligorovers.com/sligo-ro...redevelopment/

More details of the plans here. Highly ambitious alright and as you say a lot of fundraising needed. No influential TDs in the area.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Best of luck to those in sligo with this project. Hopefully it comes to fruition.
    LOI ground improvements across the league are central to the increase in standards and an improved "product" for attracting new fans and money into the game here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    A general lifting of standards across the league seems to be happening and the Govt seem a bit more inclined to facilitate it.
    In my mind there is no question that better facilities will bring bigger crowds.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Congrats to Sligo on the ambitious plan, nice line in the interview with the chair that all new stadium developments should be multi purpose. I presume that the basket case that is Sligo GAA will look for matching funding to refurbish Markievitz Park, and will probably get double of what Sligo get

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    A general lifting of standards across the league seems to be happening and the Govt seem a bit more inclined to facilitate it.
    In my mind there is no question that better facilities will bring bigger crowds.
    If they could give us enough to fund new lights and a roof for the section O side of the ground it would be appreciated. We've put a very decent stadium in place without any significant government funding.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Id definitely agree with that. I reckon especially to attract families to games. The days are gone were most people will put up with the sub standard facilities in most LOI grounds.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Experience over the years has taught me to be cynical enough about ambitious stadium development plans in our league. But if there's one club I'd have faith in to deliver it's Sligo Rovers. What they achieve - in terms of fundraising, support etc - with a population smaller than places like Mullingar, Letterkenny and Portlaoise is genuinely impressive. Good luck to them with the plans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    That looks very impressive, congrats to Sligo and best of luck getting it finished. One thing though, if you're spending that kind of money, surely a category 4 stadium would have been achievable? I'd like to think that the LOI could have more regular appearances in the Europe Conference and just like Europa League a category 4 stadium would be required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    That looks very impressive, congrats to Sligo and best of luck getting it finished. One thing though, if you're spending that kind of money, surely a category 4 stadium would have been achievable? I'd like to think that the LOI could have more regular appearances in the Europe Conference and just like Europa League a category 4 stadium would be required.
    Isn’t one of the sticking points with a cat 4 stadium the vip and media requirements ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    They are aiming for cat3 from a quick skim of the plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Is there any give & take with the UEFA categories? 8,000 seats just seems like too much for a LOI club
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Is there any give & take with the UEFA categories? 8,000 seats just seems like too much for a LOI club
    It will be possible to put a second tier on the existing Railway End to bring up the numbers to 8K, that should not affect atmosphere too much at matches,

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Aren't Tallaght and Turners Cross already at/above, or soon to be, that level ?

I would argue that Bohs and Derry could both potentially justify 8,000 seats as well (even though neither have plans to at the moment). You never build a new stadium for your current fanbase - but for an expanded one instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    As long as it has all the rest of the required facilities, a derogation can be made for the capacity issue in regards Cat 4, should the need ever arise. Real Madrid have been playing in Alfredo Di Stefano stadium for the past year while Bernabeu is being renovated, and it's only got a capacity of 6,000.

The Sligo blueprint is superb, and what the majority of LOI clubs should be looking at. It would be perfect for someone like Dundalk too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post

I would argue that Bohs and Derry could both potentially justify 8,000 seats as well (even though neither have plans to at the moment). You never build a new stadium for your current fanbase - but for an expanded one instead.
    Its a bit like building a house , the difference in costs if you build a 2000 sq foot house day 1 compared to a 1500sq foot house is always a lot less than if you build the 1500 sq ft house and then come back and build a 500 sq foot extension.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Makes sense to build things in a way that make it cheaper for future expansion too, like a loft conversion. Im not sure how UEFA would be with ongoing derogation of a ground for European group games, but to insist on baseline minimum numbers and not consider regular local needs ends up in wasted resources or an overstretch financially which is of no benefit to anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post

I think Turner's Cross is missing some fairly important media/VIP facilities. There's a rugby ground with similar capacity down the road, in a sensible world you'd have one good UEFA cat 4 stadium for both rugby and soccer.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Save Tolka Park campaign launched last night. I can't see it going anywhere but good luck to them. Here is their plans.

https://savetolkapark.com/proposal/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I think it's a noble gesture but too little too late, in my view.
    If this was launched soon after the DCC groundshare proposals were laid out, I think it might have got more traction.
    As this stage it looks like it could become a nuisance in getting dalymount pk delayed but nothing more. Those poor bees.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Star View Post
    Save Tolka Park campaign launched last night. I can't see it going anywhere but good luck to them. Here is their plans.

https://savetolkapark.com/proposal/
    There was good PR on Johnny Wards and Daniel McDonnells podcast about STP campaign. Your man who used to be on the podcast whose name escapes me spoke well I thought!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?