Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 319 of 402 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329369 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,380 of 8039

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Good top prize in that draw , fair play to harps for organising it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Just starting a thread here so fans of various clubs can inform us of updates on where their clubs stand at the moment as regards to stadium plans. What's the story with Cork and the Shed, Rovers and Tallaght, Athlone's move, Drogs and Finn Harp's proposed stadiums?

As far as I know Wednesday is d-day for UCD as the objection to the planning application to upgrade the Belfield Bowl will be dealt with. Plan is to extend the current stand which has about 600 seats into a 1,500 seater. It'll be a step up from Belfield Pk. as the stand will be concrete based.
    Notice it's just over 14 years ago I made this post to open the thread and while Cork, Rovers, Athlone and UCD delivered Drogs and Harps still play in essentially the same facilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Can you give us another fourteen years?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Can you give us another fourteen years?
    Do you think that'll be enough ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Do you think that'll be enough ?
    I didn't state such a thing. It'll just be interesting to see what happens in the meantime..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/s...70655221059585
    Edinburgh Rugby's new stadium looks like it's mostly made of pop up stands. Could this be an option for LOI clubs?
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/s...70655221059585
    Edinburgh Rugby's new stadium looks like it's mostly made of pop up stands. Could this be an option for LOI clubs?
    Similar to what Wexford Youths done for the League Cup final in Ferrycarraig Park a number of years back. If the likes of Bray and Wexford can have them in semi-permanent, I see no reason why other clubs can't do the same.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Similar to what Wexford Youths done for the League Cup final in Ferrycarraig Park a number of years back. If the likes of Bray and Wexford can have them in semi-permanent, I see no reason why other clubs can't do the same.
    The UCD Bowl is basically temporary and has worked for football and rugby for years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    There are now a good few examples of these stands in use, flipping skyscrapers were built on a concrete foundation and steel structure. I dont know what the obsession in Ireland is with poured concrete models even if partly prefabricated. Maybe securing grants for companies submitting tenders from outside of Ireland is an issue, if so what a waste of revenue. The new main stand Vicarage Road is good enough for the EPL, raking is a bit nauseating but it is shoehorned in. More appropriately sized stands of 8-1200 suitable for LoI dont cost as much the admin of messing for a decade or 2 from initial grant allocations. Gross cost of the ptch in Oriel would have built a new stand for context. Ive probably posted this somewhere in ths thread already but some example of what could be achieved here with some cohesive joint development plans and partnerships. https://www.glevents.co.uk/solutions...ents/football/

This shouldnt be a pipedream as a stand at Oriel Park!! (RSJs in view lines would keep it retro..).

Last edited by Nesta99; 13/11/2020 at 4:45 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The UCD Bowl is basically temporary and has worked for football and rugby for years.
    Eh? How do you figure that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    In what sense is it temporary? Are you thinking of the old Belfield Park? The Bowl could do with the roof being extended to cover all the seats, but there's nothing temporary about it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    There are now a good few examples of these stands in use, flipping skyscrapers were built on a concrete foundation and steel structure. I dont know what the obsession in Ireland is with poured concrete models even if partly prefabricated. Maybe securing grants for companies submitting tenders from outside of Ireland is an issue, if so what a waste of revenue. The new main stand Vicarage Road is good enough for the EPL, raking is a bit nauseating but it is shoehorned in. More appropriately sized stands of 8-1200 suitable for LoI dont cost as much the admin of messing for a decade or 2 from initial grant allocations. Gross cost of the ptch in Oriel would have built a new stand for context. Ive probably posted this somewhere in ths thread already but some example of what could be achieved here with some cohesive joint development plans and partnerships. https://www.glevents.co.uk/solutions...ents/football/

This shouldnt be a pipedream as a stand at Oriel Park!! (RSJs in view lines would keep it retro..).

Barnet's entire stadium is made up of this stuff, and it's a great facility.

No reason why clubs in Ireland couldn't look to do the same to get quicker results at a lower price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Barnet's entire stadium is made up of this stuff, and it's a great facility.

No reason why clubs in Ireland couldn't look to do the same to get quicker results at a lower price.
    I like The Hive, probably as ye can see how the YDC/Shed in Oriel could have ended up looking or even be with some work. Its a great community facility and Barnet turned a mess in to, well a hive of activity. The good and the bad of partnerships, groundshares, local council wranglings, different sports associations trying to shaft each other, and a development eventually usable after a council steps in - sound familiar...just condensed in to a shorter timeframe than experienced in LoI projects. Ye'd like to think due to some sensible thinkng from councils got things over the line in the end but really I think some rivalry kicked in between neighbouring boroughs regardless of denials and debate on duplicating facilities. Saracens had form for bullying football clubs they were sharing with, so it worked out best probably though Tallaght, Stranrolar issues were or are almost blips in comparison - Dalymount/Tolka/Shels/Bohs might push it close.

Actually, now to think of it, the GAA did play a peripheral role as Wealdstone ended up moving to Ruislip which caused some hissy fits in London GAA circles.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 13/11/2020 at 6:29 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Eh? How do you figure that?
    In the sense they're just bucket seats bolted into concrete. I know they are actually permanent seats but they're as basic as you can get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    In what sense is it temporary? Are you thinking of the old Belfield Park? The Bowl could do with the roof being extended to cover all the seats, but there's nothing temporary about it.
    I was a couple of drinks in last night and didn't really make sense. I know it's a permanent structure but the seats themselves are just bucket seats bolted in and not really designed to be sat in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I was a couple of drinks in last night and didn't really make sense. I know it's a permanent structure but the seats themselves are just bucket seats bolted in and not really designed to be sat in.
    Fair to say, and I find them not very comfortable, but I can't say I've noticed anywhere else in the league as significantly more comfortable. They're football grounds, not premium seats at the cinema.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Are most permanent stands not just bucket seats bolted into concrete steps though?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Would have thought so alright. They are in Tallaght for example.

Belfield Park was bucket seats bolted onto a plank of wood. That had way more of a temporary feel to it.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Belfield Park was bucket seats bolted onto a plank of wood. That had way more of a temporary feel to it.
    I remember Belfield Parks shakey little stands! The Bowl is a thousand times better and the perfect ground for UCD's needs.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Yeah, that's fair enough. I didn't mean it in a disparaging way or to suggest Tallaght is Wembley, it's just that LOI stadiums are generally rudimentary.