Page 377 of 402 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387 ... LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,540 of 8039

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    What Longford have done over the years is phenomenal and a huge credit to all the people involved with the club

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    It started in a bit of a romantically shambolic way in that Stephen Kenny and the club at the time were determined to play our first ever European game in Longford. To do that they needed way more seats. Which were kind of thrown up around the ground. Then when we qualified again a few years later, again we wanted to play at home but we had to put in proper concrete. It probably would have made more sense long term to have terraces at either end and an at least partially roofed smaller stand opposite the main stand. We've hardly ever sold out but we did have some memorable nights over the years. Winning the League Cup at home in 2004 was a good one.
    OK, that makes sense.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    I think one simple thing that the club could do is no offence with the posters outside the ground should they be not be more UTD? Its at least over a decade old pictures of Alan Kirby and Keith Gillespie. Strangely enough before the ground was redeveloped there was shelter on the Section O end but no stand..
    The pictures of ground look great but there can always be improvements.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    People come from all over Ireland to sell at them. Cars start arriving from before 6am and car park does litreally be full to the brim. It's a huge fundraiser for club.
    Interesting. It does kind of negate the argument that the club is too far out of town for people to support it though. I mean - if it isn't too far to go and buy tat at a car boot sale...

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I think one simple thing that the club could do is no offence with the posters outside the ground should they be not be more UTD? Its at least over a decade old pictures of Alan Kirby and Keith Gillespie. Strangely enough before the ground was redeveloped there was shelter on the Section O end but no stand..
    The pictures of ground look great but there can always be improvements.
    I highly doubt the fact that Keith Gillespie or Alan Kirby being on a poster right outside the ground as opposed to Aodh Dervin or Jack Brady is stopping anyone from coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Hopefully there is some merit to this article, I haven't heard anything about it whatsoever.
    I do recall just how frustrated Andy Pilley was with the lack of access to the stadium on match days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I did hear an alternative view on Waterford that the Athletics club will relocate to SETU and the pitch turned 90 degrees so the two existing stands will be behind each goal. I'd imagine there's scope the build a new stand/clubhouse where the current away end access is but overly this sounds like a very costly development but not as costly as leaving the RSC altogether.

If that were to happen is there any chance of a move back to Kilcohan Park? A greyhound track around the pitch wouldn't be as wide as a running track!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    It would make the most sense, although the current (new) stand would be too long for a behind the goal type, the current main stand would be perfect however.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I did hear an alternative view on Waterford that the Athletics club will relocate to SETU and the pitch turned 90 degrees so the two existing stands will be behind each goal. I'd imagine there's scope the build a new stand/clubhouse where the current away end access is but overly this sounds like a very costly development but not as costly as leaving the RSC altogether.

If that were to happen is there any chance of a move back to Kilcohan Park? A greyhound track around the pitch wouldn't be as wide as a running track!
    if the existing stands could handle a 90-degree re-orintation of the pitch, t would just go to show how far back the running track pushes the fans from the pitch currently Though it would also leave a weirdly long stand at one end.

Personally I hate anything that separates fans from pitches. Whether that be tracks for dogs, humans, horses or banger racing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Would it really look all that weird? I would've thought it'd be fairly close to the width of a pitch going by (admittedly dodgy) memory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    if the existing stands could handle a 90-degree re-orintation of the pitch, t would just go to show how far back the running track pushes the fans from the pitch currently Though it would also leave a weirdly long stand at one end.

Personally I hate anything that separates fans from pitches. Whether that be tracks for dogs, humans, horses or banger racing.
    A running track is about 10 metres wide and there's probably about 2 metres between the pitch and the track on either side. The new stand is pretty much on top of the track but the old stand probably has another 5 metres or so of clearance between the front of the stand and the track, so that's about 30 metres, maybe take a few off as you'd need space behind the goal, so 25 metres to work with.

According to Wikipedia the pitch dimensions are 105 x 75 yards, so 25 metres (27 yards) would mean the re-oriented pitch would be 102 yards in length. I think this would be the smallest pitch in the league but it's above the minimum size (98 yards), though they'd presumably want it to be the length required for international football (110 yards).

In summary it's probably pretty close to be able to switch the pitch without any work required to the stands.

I wouldn't worry about the new stand, I would say it would only be slightly wider than the pitch, as it is it doesn't cover the full length
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    A running track is about 10 metres wide and there's probably about 2 metres between the pitch and the track on either side. The new stand is pretty much on top of the track but the old stand probably has another 5 metres or so of clearance between the front of the stand and the track, so that's about 30 metres, maybe take a few off as you'd need space behind the goal, so 25 metres to work with.

According to Wikipedia the pitch dimensions are 105 x 75 yards, so 25 metres (27 yards) would mean the re-oriented pitch would be 102 yards in length. I think this would be the smallest pitch in the league but it's above the minimum size (98 yards), though they'd presumably want it to be the length required for international football (110 yards).

In summary it's probably pretty close to be able to switch the pitch without any work required to the stands.

I wouldn't worry about the new stand, I would say it would only be slightly wider than the pitch, as it is it doesn't cover the full length
    Yeah it would be tight. Looks like about 103ish meters at the very most between the stands on google maps. Most pitches in the league are at least 100 metres long - think that'd be the minimum length.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Would wager you'd fit a pitch nice and tight between the two stands in RSC handy enough. The new stand doesn't run anywhere near the length of the pitch either so would be a comfortable sized stand behind one goal as well.

If it were a serious option for Waterford, they'd be mad not to go for it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The gaa has the Irish government in its back pocket it's no surprise

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Lads, don't want to start a new thread so thought I'd throw this in here.

Can anyone give me a brief synopsis of what exactly the craic is with Athlone Town?

For context, I now live locally and have been to a match a couple of times in recent years. Attendances seem poor and there is no visibility of ATFC support around town. By contrast, when I go to Longford you always see someone in a club hat or jacket etc. Longford would be my closest boyhood club (though i was never more than a casual supporter) and I went there a few times as a kid. Club always seemed well supported amongst my friends and acquaintances from there.

I'm aware Athlone had/have issues with ownership over the years, without knowing the details. I'm getting to a stage in life where I've young kids and I'd like to start taking them to their local LOI club, but if Athlone is a basket case am I as well heading back up to Longford where I was a bit of a supporter in my younger days?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I think the locals in general have a strong dislike of the current chairman for many years now. He’s destroyed the goodwill towards the club in the town it seems. Most of the formerly long time supporters don't go any more. LTFC like most LOI clubs is at least a club where every single member of the committee gives everything they have to put a team out there every season and to maintain the ground. There's certainly nobody taking any money out.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    An interesting article on the future of astro pitches in Europe.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-41033855.html
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    An interesting article on the future of astro pitches in Europe.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-41033855.html
    As the date shows, that article's been around a while now. And it's also a bit alarmist/click-baity with its headline. There are alternatives to the rubber crumb which clubs will switch to, which will mean there will be no problem using the pitches.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Dalymount redevelopment project:

https://councilmeetings.dublincity.i....aspx?ID=40933

This is absolutely brilliant pdf presentation.